Republicans say new study belies Obama claim US has 2 percent of world oil

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
See...I can do stupid things...

Can I do this or is this considered a no-no? Technically, I didn't *change* the quoted text... :colbert:

Anywho, yes, I think pie is delicious. Any kind basically. Apple, lemon, cherry. Even Pecan pie, but I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. You can't just sneak up on me and *BAM* Pecan pie...you gotta give me a heads up on that shit.

Ooo, and Key Lime is good...damn, I haven't had Key Lime pie in years.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Read Obama's next line, the one I have repeatedly quoted and the one you pretend he did not say.

If we drilled every square inch of this country, we would find all the oil in it. So Obama obviously is wrong...the only way for him to not be wrong is if the USGS is wrong.

I did not ignore it, it is irrelevant. Cost is not something Obama required, no matter how many times you try and pretend he did.

It is apparent you truest your diety more than the scientists whose job it is to discover such things.

You reposted a misleading article. Chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and so is an argument. You can't base an argument on a misleading article and then have it stand. Obama never said US had only 2% of world's oil, just that it had 2% of proven reserves.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why do you keep bringing up cheap? Obama never made that claim, so it is not part of this discussion.

Pretending he was talking about cheap oil when he was not is intellectually fraudulant.

Fraudulent? Your position is fraudulent.

Of course Obama was talking about "cheap" oil, as is everybody else. It doesn't matter how much $200/barrel to produce oil is in the ground when the price is $100/barrel, because it'll stay there until the price exceeds $200/barrel or until technology brings down the price of production, if it ever does.

That's a no-brainer, and any claim to the contrary is utterly specious.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
You know why it is undiscovered? The oil companies know they are not allow to recover the oil once they find it. Why throw good money after bad?

So, lets allow them to drill out the oil and they will quickly go out and find where it all is. Energy independence is just around the corner if the government would allow it.

Most of the remaining oil in US territory is in really hard to get to locations. Today its cheaper to import oil from the middle east than to go after the oil in deepwater and etc that we have. (There's also a small amount in places where drilling is mostly prohibited like national parks and some nature reserves and etc). Anyway, one day that price point will change and more expensive locations to go after oil will become more lucrative (ie the ice caps for example are alleged to have tons of oil except its pretty much impossible right now to get it and not lose an arm, a leg, and the shirt off your back). Hopefully by then we'll be mostly nuclear and running electric cars and biodiesel trucks.
I dislike Obama greatly

Hehe... this I don't completely understand. GW Bush I great disliked (led us into 2 wars, denied stem cell research, extended tax cuts to the rich, let environmental protections expire, allowed mining and drilling for oil in national parks, passed the patriot act, established the department of homeland defense, passed no child left behind and orphaned it, need I go on. Heck even his response to 911 -continuing to read to schoolchildren for 7 mins after hearing that the country is under attack- drives me crazy. He didn't even ask what type of attack, he just kept on reading. What if it had been a nuclear attack where the eastern seaboard could be wiped out in 2 min flat? Crazy!). I'm not saying Obama is the buddha here, but in comparison to what we've had running the country outside of clinton, I can't think of anyone we elected in the last 2 decades better.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
yes, let's frack to hell every inch of the country to get oil that would cost 4x what it costs to get oil from other places - great idea Cyber

mislead much?

How about we develop and perfect new technologies which don't rely on oil for power? More efficient solar - more efficient wind - safer nuclear - and, omg, we might actually pollute less? And buy less foreign oil?

But, but, but - the carbon con, Al Gore...blah blah blah

Drill baby drill - if Palin said it, it must be good...right?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Any idiot with half a brain knows it takes years to actually get refined oil.

So technically Obama is spot on, drill every inch today and were still on foreign oil.

That's fine, but it takes decades to get off oil and we would be reaping the rewards now if we started drilling 4 years ago. Sorry, but 4 years ago McCain was right. Proof is $4/Gallon at the pumps and the end of oil dependence no where in sight. We need to drill oil, it is just that simple. Even just the market influence that the oil would be available will drop the price. Speculators can try all they want but too much oil on the market WILL lead to a price drop.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
So you are saying oil from other countries magically appears in the US with no transport time involved? See...I can do stupid things with time just like you.

At least we can easily tell you are an Obamite. You refuse to even admit he is wrong when the proof is put before you. You make him proud to be the one you worship.

And you are being blatantly ignorant, because I have stated above I dont like Obama at all.

Mideast oil is cheap oil, easy to get at with refining capcity, shipping that oil is simple easy and has been done for years that system is in place.

Drill every inch of our soil and factually it is true you would still be on foreign oil for years.

So Obama's statement is true. and you have proven you dont understand what everyone else knows is common sense.

:rolleyes:

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Most of the remaining oil in US territory is in really hard to get to locations. Today its cheaper to import oil from the middle east than to go after the oil in deepwater and etc that we have. (There's also a small amount in places where drilling is mostly prohibited like national parks and some nature reserves and etc). Anyway, one day that price point will change and more expensive locations to go after oil will become more lucrative (ie the ice caps for example are alleged to have tons of oil except its pretty much impossible right now to get it and not lose an arm, a leg, and the shirt off your back). Hopefully by then we'll be mostly nuclear and running electric cars and biodiesel trucks.

Hehe... this I don't completely understand. GW Bush I great disliked (led us into 2 wars, denied stem cell research, extended tax cuts to the rich, let environmental protections expire, allowed mining and drilling for oil in national parks, passed the patriot act, established the department of homeland defense, passed no child left behind and orphaned it, need I go on. Heck even his response to 911 -continuing to read to schoolchildren for 7 mins after hearing that the country is under attack- drives me crazy. He didn't even ask what type of attack, he just kept on reading. What if it had been a nuclear attack where the eastern seaboard could be wiped out in 2 min flat? Crazy!). I'm not saying Obama is the buddha here, but in comparison to what we've had running the country outside of clinton, I can't think of anyone we elected in the last 2 decades better.

I disliked Bush , Reagan, Bush Jr. Greatly somewhat liked Clinton until he signed Gramm leach bliley and had high hopes for Obama, but frankly he has been a major disappointment.

He has extended nearly all Bush's policies, Hired the people who orchastrated the deregulation that helped cause our economic mess, Caved on healthcare, the list goes on.

But none fo that takes away from the fact the OP of this thread is an ingnorant buffoon when it comes to Energy policy.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
That's fine, but it takes decades to get off oil and we would be reaping the rewards now if we started drilling 4 years ago. Sorry, but 4 years ago McCain was right. Proof is $4/Gallon at the pumps and the end of oil dependence no where in sight. We need to drill oil, it is just that simple. Even just the market influence that the oil would be available will drop the price. Speculators can try all they want but too much oil on the market WILL lead to a price drop.

I agree with you somewhat, the issue is the oil left in the US takes a lot of energy to produce, There are numerous places oil companies have the rights to drill but dont because the cost to extract that oil is cost phrohibitive when they still have to compete with Opec, who has oil that is not expesive to extract.

A large portion of todays gas prices is due to oil speculation.

The fact you can get 10 to 1 margins speculating on oil means that guy who would have invested 10k is now allowed to margin that to the tune of 100k. Hell if you simply removed Margins and made speculators use the cash they have Gas prices would drop significantly overnight.

Its a better plan to find an oil alternative NOW and use the next few decades to wean off before Mid East hits peak oil.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Heh. Pump prices were actually higher in the last speculative frenzy, the summer of 2008, which must have been all Obama's fault, too, huh?

Only when crude oil inventories rise in response to lowered demand will prices drop. That's what happened in 2008 when speculators were forced to sell at a loss in the face of very high inventories & reduced demand. They had to sell, because they never could actually take delivery of shipboard cargoes.

It's the same situation today, except that demand is strong, so inventories match sales, and prices are free to move upward.

Don't like that? Drive less. Quit buying gas guzzling behemoths. Support efforts to curtail speculation-

http://economicpopulist.org/content/why-are-gas-prices-skyrocketing

Or just desperately Blame Obama! for the ongoing looting of middle class fortunes by the super rich.

Might want to strike a deal with Iran, while we're at it, let Iranian crude flow into the world market freely, rather than creating jitters about threatened supplies...

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Exactly Americans don't just want oil, they want cheap oil.

Newsflash the shit we have left over in this country is not cheap oil.

It's very expensive oil.

You are only somewhat correct, but do you suppose Americans would prefer their money go to good paying American jobs (and taxes and all that other good stuff) or to good paying jobs (or not) to some shithole country?

It WILL be consumed. The only question at this point is where the money goes.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You are only somewhat correct, but do you suppose Americans would prefer their money go to good paying American jobs (and taxes and all that other good stuff) or to good paying jobs (or not) to some shithole country?

It WILL be consumed. The only question at this point is where the money goes.
Given that Americans rushed to help Wal-Mart drive so many local businesses out of business, it appears they would prefer their money going to some shithole country. Of course in reality they are generally too shallow and self-absorbed to consider the consequences of their actions. As long as it's cheap for them, they don't care what it costs America.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
And you are being blatantly ignorant, because I have stated above I dont like Obama at all.

Mideast oil is cheap oil, easy to get at with refining capcity, shipping that oil is simple easy and has been done for years that system is in place.

Drill every inch of our soil and factually it is true you would still be on foreign oil for years.

So Obama's statement is true. and you have proven you dont understand what everyone else knows is common sense.

:rolleyes:

Would you like to have a grown up debate about the topic?

Sure we might still import oil but we could realistically cut out our ME oil supply (those assholes that don't like us much) while continuing to import oil from our two biggest suppliers. I will leave you and Google to figure out who those two are but I will give you a hint, they both share borders with us.

Or we can just keep "subsidizing" our oil with our armed forces in the ME. Seriously, how much do you think we would give a shit about Iraq or Iran or any of the ME countries if we didn't desperately need their oil?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Given that Americans rushed to help Wal-Mart drive so many local businesses out of business, it appears they would prefer their money going to some shithole country. Of course in reality they are generally too shallow and self-absorbed to consider the consequences of their actions. As long as it's cheap for them, they don't care what it costs America.

The ironic thing is, its a global commodity. It will cost the exact same regardless. "Drill baby drill" will NOT drive down oil prices but it will drive up good paying American jobs while leaving oil prices basically unchanged.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
it may work to our favor in the future if we delay discovery/drilling until obama is out of office though . . . . as the world supply dwindles and we're the only people left with it . . . puts us a good position. but it has to be done no matter how much obama believes in solar energy for everyone

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Did they also happen to mention how much of that estimate is unrecoverable with current technology, or would require higher oil prices to make it economically feasible to recover?

I'm going to guess not. Wouldn't want people forming informed opinions now would we?

Shhhhh, don't confuse the retards with reality. The stupidest people in this country and the drill baby drill fucktards...

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
No I don't think Americans want to spend $6 - $9 a gallon for gas to have the supply be American.

Smart Americans want off oil.

Dumb ones don't give a crap about where crap is made or comes from, they just want it cheap.

Example Walmart.

We need to get past oil, it will takes decades to do it, meanwhile Americans will be happy with their cheap oil, bitching and moaning while not even giving thought to the abusive speculation that drives the cost up significantly.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

I didn't see this until after I responded to the same post.

You are spot on!

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
And the morons still fail to realize that just because oil is drilled here doesn't mean it ends up here. It's not nationalized.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
You know why it is undiscovered? The oil companies know they are not allow to recover the oil once they find it. -snip-

No.

For it to be "proven" you have to drill exploratory wells and they require permits.

Good luck getting a permit.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
False. Domestic drilling is at an all time high, largely in response to high prices-

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/...-gas-prices-on-Obama-s-anti-drilling-policies

I actually believe you're smart enough to know that what you linked doesn't dispute what I posted, not in the least.

I disappointed you don't know me well enough by now to know that progressive 'talking points' based upon spin and not facts isn't worth posting. That's a propaganda piece.

Federal permits have declined under Obama. There's no getting around it.

the oil industry faces exhausting obstacles in the Gulf, Milito said in a statement yesterday (pdf), as the government pursues an unofficial moratorium on new driling:

The administration has repeatedly decided to pursue policies and actions that delay, defer or deny access and production from our domestic resources.”

Of 14 permits submitted for initial exploratory drilling in the Gulf—drilling that would be, in other words, new—one has been withdrawn for modification and 13 are listed as “pending.”

On Monday, the Interior Department announced it had approved an exploration plan for Shell, also describing it as new:

This is the first new deepwater exploration plan approved since the Deepwater Horizon explosion and resulting oil spill.”

But later in the same press release we learn:

The plan is a supplemental exploration plan that proposes activities that were not included in an original exploration plan for the same lease – located in Shell’s Auger field – which was approved in 1985.”

A plan, too, is a long way from a permit. It describes proposed activities, and once the plan is approved, the applicant can apply for permits to carry out those activities, a process that can take, according to Milito, another decade.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2011/03/25/those-new-gulf-oil-drilling-permits-not-so-new/

Fern

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I actually believe you're smart enough to know that what you linked doesn't dispute what I posted, not in the least.

I disappointed you don't know me well enough by now to know that progressive 'talking points' based upon spin and not facts isn't worth posting. That's a propaganda piece.

Federal permits have declined under Obama. There's no getting around it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2011/03/25/those-new-gulf-oil-drilling-permits-not-so-new/

Fern

The Kos piece quotes the WSJ, not exactly a lefty source, Fern.

And apparently drillers have plenty of permits they haven't used until now, rendering your point & Forbes' propaganda moot. The low hanging fruit is gone or already in the basket of permits held by drillers, and they're only drilling now in response to high prices. They've had the option to exercise their existing permits all along, but have chosen not to do so. Issuing more permits for more marginal & hard to extract oil remains meaningless or even worse particularly wrt deep water drilling as we saw with the deepwater horizon environmental debacle.

That was all Obama's Fault, too, wasn't it?