Republicans not offering much outside of criticism?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
This thread is an "alternative" debate to the anti-Obama threads. Let's admit it: the ACA rollout was botched, Obama and his administration are in denial, and I think people ought to get fired. I'm not partisan about that point at all: they messed up. They messed up and botched this in an embarrassing and idiotic way, and someone deserves to get punished.

It's clear that on the Democratic side, at best they made some mistakes, and at worst they are in denial about it. Now, let's take a look at the Republican side: what are the Republicans doing to improve healthcare for Americans? Do they even want for more Americans to have affordable health insurance? Because right now it appears like Republicans only want to criticize and blame the Democrats for what's going wrong rather than offering solutions to make things right.

I have a question: should Republicans work with the Democrats to get the ACA up and running, rather than sit on the sidelines and criticize?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This thread is an "alternative" debate to the anti-Obama threads. Let's admit it: the ACA rollout was botched, Obama and his administration are in denial, and I think people ought to get fired. I'm not partisan about that point at all: they messed up. They messed up and botched this in an embarrassing and idiotic way, and someone deserves to get punished.

It's clear that on the Democratic side, at best they made some mistakes, and at worst they are in denial about it. Now, let's take a look at the Republican side: what are the Republicans doing to improve healthcare for Americans? Do they even want for more Americans to have affordable health insurance? Because right now it appears like Republicans only want to criticize and blame the Democrats for what's going wrong rather than offering solutions to make things right.

I have a question: should Republicans work with the Democrats to get the ACA up and running, rather than sit on the sidelines and criticize?

Makes more sense then having 40 votes to repeal, shutdown government to defund and then having hearings bitching about it not working. Make up your mind!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have a question. Lets say Republicans offered up a solution. Would democrats even allow a vote? So what does it matter if Republicans are criticizing and not offering a solution? They are a minority party within our govt and lack any power to make changes anyways. It seems to me makijng a stink of the minority party when the majority party fucked up is just a way to change the subject. This is a democrat mess, they need to fix it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Makes more sense then having 40 votes to repeal, shutdown government to defund and then having hearings bitching about it not working. Make up your mind!

The 40 votes to repeal were stupid and so was shutting down the govt without a plan. But the hearings should be held and we should all be outraged we tax payers spent hundreds of millions and got a shitty website that barely functions.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I have a question. Lets say Republicans offered up a solution. Would democrats even allow a vote?

I think if it was a bipartisan solution that both parties could support, then yes they would allow a vote on it. What solutions do Republicans have to make the ACA better rather than a plain, "Let's end it"? Because repealing the ACA is not going to happen, that's not a bipartisan solution.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I've been saying this for a while now, whining does not equal solutions, pointing fingers doesn't change or fix issues.

Those who vote republicans are voting for a government to be broken or remain broken.

In my opinion it's far easier to vote a dem in to put forth conservative solutions than it is to vote a conservative republican in to put forth solutions.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Some Republicans saw this coming and accurately forecasted it. Mike Enzi is one. He or his staff actually read the law and regulations. I know, what a quaint concept. His speech from the floor 3 yrs ago has been replayed on TV recently. I don't have audio so here's an article about him: http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...d-obamacare-failures-three-years-ago-n1739809

The Heritage Foundation did the same. And in their reports they offered solutions.

Recently Repubs have been trying to get Obamacare delayed. That seems a rather obvious (temporary) solution until this mess can be sorted out.

Otherwise, several Repubs have been making suggestions and working on bills.

In short they've doing things. I'm not going to google it for you.

But it doesn't matter, unless and until Reid and Obama admit the problems and agree to go along with solutions nothing is going to happen. The Repubs could pass all the bills they wanted in the house, but Reid will just sit on them as he has done all along.

Even if Reid went along I doubt Obama will. He's too invested and he certainly doesn't want to see the Repubs come in and save the day. I think he sticks with it as long as possible.

While the start has been horrendous, the prognosis doesn't look good and I see no reasonable basis for optimism, I would guess that there aren't going to be any 'big moves' until we get to the March deadline and take an assessment (enrollment numbers, net effect on numbers of insured etc.)

Fern

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I've been saying this for a while now, whining does not equal solutions, pointing fingers doesn't change or fix issues.

Those who vote republicans are voting for a government to be broken or remain broken.

In my opinion it's far easier to vote a dem in to put forth conservative solutions than it is to vote a conservative republican in to put forth solutions.

I actually agree with you on your last sentence. Scott Walker makes cuts and it is the end of the world. Jerry Brown makes cuts off the back of the poor and teachers union and not a peep.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I think if it was a bipartisan solution that both parties could support, then yes they would allow a vote on it.

Yeah, like the Republican idea to give everyone the mandate exemption Obama gave unions. That was considered seriously, right?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think if it was a bipartisan solution that both parties could support, then yes they would allow a vote on it. What solutions do Republicans have to make the ACA better rather than a plain, "Let's end it"? Because repealing the ACA is not going to happen, that's not a bipartisan solution.

Well they wanted to delay the individual mandate and were blocked. Of course now some democrats are coming around to the solution.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Yeah, like the Republican idea to give everyone the mandate exemption Obama gave unions. That was considered seriously, right?

If "everyone" was given a mandate exemption, the basic law wouldn't work. So why would that idea be taken seriously?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

I see the bargaining stage of grief has been reached with depression starting.

And as far as the GOP helping Democrats "fix" Obamacare, I'd say the Pottery Barn rule applies to healthcare just as much as it does Iraq, "you broke it, you bought it."

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If "everyone" was given a mandate exemption, the basic law wouldn't work. So why would that idea be taken seriously?

Then why should some people get an exemption then? What makes a union worker better than me, more worthy of an exemption than me?

Ok then flip it:

Did the Democrats ever put it up for votes who gets the exemptions? I mean, since with them the basic law won't work?

Or did they just give them to the buddies of the Democratic Party?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

No, we don't want it, we oppose it, we never voted for it, the Democrats own it and forced it on the American public. So fuck them, fuck Obama and fuck Obamacare. I want conservatives/independents/Libertarians to do everything they can to screw it up, slow it down and ruin it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have a question. Lets say Republicans offered up a solution. Would democrats even allow a vote? So what does it matter if Republicans are criticizing and not offering a solution? They are a minority party within our govt and lack any power to make changes anyways. It seems to me makijng a stink of the minority party when the majority party fucked up is just a way to change the subject. This is a democrat mess, they need to fix it.

The House has decided to attempt to repeal all or parts of the ACA approximately 40 times. (depending on how you count it). It didn't seem to bother them one whit that it could never pass the Senate. They have also passed numerous budgets, bills, etc. that have no hope in the Senate, but it didn't bother them either.

You know as well as I do why they haven't proposed an alternative. They know what they would propose would be enormously unpopular.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
No, we don't want it, we oppose it, we never voted for it, the Democrats own it and forced it on the American public. So fuck them, fuck Obama and fuck Obamacare. I want conservatives/independents/Libertarians to do everything they can to screw it up, slow it down and ruin it.

So you wish to break it but feel no responsibility for breaking it?

I've met three year olds with the same mentality. Are you wearing diapers yet?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The House has decided to attempt to repeal all or parts of the ACA approximately 40 times. (depending on how you count it). It didn't seem to bother them one whit that it could never pass the Senate. They have also passed numerous budgets, bills, etc. that have no hope in the Senate, but it didn't bother them either.

You know as well as I do why they haven't proposed an alternative. They know what they would propose would be enormously unpopular.

And Democrats attempted to repeal prohibitions on gay marriage multiple times. Would you have urged them to sit down with Republicans after "mistakes were made" in the Defense of Marriage Act and asked what were Democrats doing to "improve things for Americans" afterwards? Did you demand Democrats to have worked with the GOP to get improved anti-sodomy laws "up and running"?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And Democrats attempted to repeal prohibitions on gay marriage multiple times. Would you have urged them to sit down with Republicans after "mistakes were made" in the Defense of Marriage Act and asked what were Democrats doing to "improve things for Americans" afterwards? Did you demand Democrats to have worked with the GOP to get improved anti-sodomy laws "up and running"?

That makes literally no sense.

Although Republicans accepting the fact that a bill based on their previous health bill is now law and working to make it function the best that they can out of a basic duty to effective governance would be the responsible and adult thing to do, that's not what I'm asking here. (I've long since given up on expecting them to act responsibly or in an adult fashion).

I'm saying that the Republican Party is on record saying that the old state of US health care was unacceptable. Feel free to start your bill of with "The Affordable Care Act is repealed in its entirety". What I want to see starting on line 2 is a bill that fixes our old health care system. They have never offered one. All you get are vague platitudes about competition and fuzzy pronouncements of how everything will be fixed once people can't sue.

If fixing US health care is so important why don't they make a plan and put it up? Why not offer an alternative vision? I'll tell you why, because nobody wants what they are selling.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The time has come to watch this deal implode on it's self. Suggestions will be entertained after the implosion is obvious to all.

The deal isn't going anywhere and it will be fine in the end. Like I said before, people who are highly interested in politics follow individual developments too closely. It's like when Obama screwed up the first debate everyone lost their minds... and in the end it didn't matter at all.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

They had House, Senate, and White House for 6 years under Bush, did nothing. They don't have any ideas.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Then why should some people get an exemption then? What makes a union worker better than me, more worthy of an exemption than me?

Ok then flip it:

Did the Democrats ever put it up for votes who gets the exemptions? I mean, since with them the basic law won't work?

Or did they just give them to the buddies of the Democratic Party?

What exemption did the union worker get that you didn't?