Republicans Disavow the comments, not the candidate

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/us/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump-gonzalo-curiel.html?_r=0

I'm glad to see so many elected officials can put aside their obvious deep distaste for racism and bigotry to continue to support Trump.

Interesting how many wish he would change the subject, as if Trump has that option. The moment he stops the flagrant racism is the moment people focus on the fraud.

November is looking like it might be painful for the GOP, if the down-ticket voting is hurt by Trump's hideous character.

Unclear on whether Dems will suddenly find the talent or ability to capitalize though, or just trip over themselves as usual and let victory slip away once again.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/us/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump-gonzalo-curiel.html?_r=0

I'm glad to see so many elected officials can put aside their obvious deep distaste for racism and bigotry to continue to support Trump.

Interesting how many wish he would change the subject, as if Trump has that option. The moment he stops the flagrant racism is the moment people focus on the fraud.

November is looking like it might be painful for the GOP, if the down-ticket voting is hurt by Trump's hideous character.

Unclear on whether Dems will suddenly find the talent or ability to capitalize though, or just trip over themselves as usual and let victory slip away once again.
I'm getting the line to help them.

Feb 4, 2009

Yup this cycle gets stranger. I've always looked a Republicans as a group of people with narrow interests which makes it easier to organize and Democrats as a big mob with similar goals, which is tough to organize. Would be real strange if this cycle those roles are reversed.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The republican leadership should probably head to the gym. Start with tumbling, next, try a forward flip. The gymnastics they are going to need to walk this line of distancing themselves from what Trump actually says and supporting him as president is going to be a test.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Doesn't really surprise me that much. The Establishment that runs both sides is doing everything it can do to get their candidate into the POTUS position. Reps still need to get elected and that Latino vote (they're not worried about the Black vote, apparently Black like getting F'd almost exclusively by Dems) is mucho importante.

Far better option to appear to support Trump when necessary, stroke that Latino vote at least somewhat as good as the Dems for future elections, and when - not if - Billary gets elected, the Establishment POTUS that they want (and Sanders Dems say they despise) will be in place at POTUS.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
It's hilarious to watch republicans scramble like chickens with their heads cut off. They were all trashing Trump until he won the nomination. Now they're all taking turns licking his balls and hoping he doesn't hold grudges.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It's hilarious to watch republicans scramble like chickens with their heads cut off. They were all trashing Trump until he won the nomination. Now they're all taking turns licking his balls and hoping he doesn't hold grudges.

And Trump is standing square, feet spread apart at shoulder width, fists on hips, chin up in the air, comb-over perfectly in place, as he smugly gazes down at those who abjectly refused to believe that he had the ability to seize control of the far right base as if taking candy from a baby.

I can't wait for the talking heads at FOX to flip the switch and suddenly become the standard bearer for Trump's march on the White House, if it hasn't already happened yet. Reince and Rupert must be having nightmares of Trump having them on choke chains, demanding total obedience lest they lose whatever sliver of influence they have left in the GOP.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I think that's why Reps are going to sabotage Trump. They know they can't control him. Better to appear to support the Rep POTUS nominee so they don't suffer backlash when their re-election comes up, but not really support him to the extent necessary. When, not if, Billary gets elected, the Establishment gets its bought and paid for Corp Whore (like the past POTUS's) and the Reps can live with that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Feb 4, 2009
An absolutely fair and consistent statement that puts to bed all the hysteria about the original. It couldn't have been more obvious what he was saying from the beginning. The rabid partisan, of course, hear what they want a o hear, and the poor liberal dears have gone completely nuts.

I heard the original interview with Trump, I heard him numerous times say he's a Mexican. He was corrected every time and given ample opportunity to back off he decided to charge ahead. I'll admit this is the closest to an apology Trump is capable of giving. I also have to ask is this how he'd deal with Congress? How would that turn out? Will he shout that a Senator is Mexican and his vote against a wall shouldn't count?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
An Iowa state senator just left the Republican party because of Trumps rants against the judge, Also Mark Kirk (R) of IL said today he's not voting for Trump.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I heard the original interview with Trump, I heard him numerous times say he's a Mexican. He was corrected every time and given ample opportunity to back off he decided to charge ahead. I'll admit this is the closest to an apology Trump is capable of giving. I also have to ask is this how he'd deal with Congress? How would that turn out? Will he shout that a Senator is Mexican and his vote against a wall shouldn't count?

There is a difference between judging and legislating. The former is supposed to suppress any opinions and biases he has, snickers under my breath, and a legislator is elected to represent the biases of his electorate.

Feb 4, 2009
There is a difference between judging and legislating. The former is supposed to suppress any opinions and biases he has, snickers under my breath, and a legislator is elected to represent the biases of his electorate.

How silly of me obviously Trump would respect his/her position and negotiate to a yes. How could I have not seen that outcome.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I see where Trump was coming from and he had some valid points. Outrage not found.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
liberals call people racist and sexist all the time and have no problems with it. Trump says something racist they lose their heads.

Feb 16, 2005
how silly, we should just brush it off, drumpf's methodology of spinning things is almost done with this nugget. blame the media, blame the left, take no ownership of what you say, drumpf.txt

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Doesn't really surprise me that much. The Establishment that runs both sides is doing everything it can do to get their candidate into the POTUS position. Reps still need to get elected and that Latino vote (they're not worried about the Black vote, apparently Black like getting F'd almost exclusively by Dems) is mucho importante.

Far better option to appear to support Trump when necessary, stroke that Latino vote at least somewhat as good as the Dems for future elections, and when - not if - Billary gets elected, the Establishment POTUS that they want (and Sanders Dems say they despise) will be in place at POTUS.
Exactly.

Everything Trump says is 'misconstrued'. Usually between his brain and his mouth.

I see where Trump was coming from and he had some valid points. Outrage not found.
Agreed. But you have to admit that as always, he picked such a horrible way to express those points as to render them moot. Nuggets need to be of the purest gold to be worth plucking from bull shit. Trump's nuggets of truth are generally somewhere in the neighborhood of brass, if not brass-plated.

Feb 16, 2005
Exactly.

Everything Trump says is 'misconstrued'. Usually between his brain and his mouth.

Agreed. But you have to admit that as always, he picked such a horrible way to express those points as to render them moot. Nuggets need to be of the purest gold to be worth plucking from bull shit. Trump's nuggets of truth are generally somewhere in the neighborhood of brass, if not brass-plated.

And it doesn't help that he doubles or even triples down on it. Maybe that's his appeal, he's unapologetic for anything, ever.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I've always known that the GOP had a short memory and real aversion to history...not to mention an intrinsic terror of reading, but even that is too lol for me.

:D