Republicans 2016

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
There are plenty of good conservative thinkers, policy wonks etc. issue is the frothy base would never support them.

Until we get rid of all the unfettered dough in our election cycle we will get lobby puppets.

First candidate to run on outlawing Lobby and publicly financing campaigns will get my vote and support I don't care what party they belong too.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I'd say the runners would be;

Chris Christie (overweight loud mouth)
Rand Paul (tea party + liberty movement + fringe candidate)
Rick Santorum (neoconservative)
Michelle Bachman (bat shit crazy woman vote)
Marco Rubio (the clutch Hispanic)
Paul Ryan (I will say anything you want me to say)

Maybe Demint, Jindal, Pawlenty, or even a Cantor but I doubt it.

If Hillary Clinton decided to run (which I doubt) it would take a young Republican with different ideas and one hell of a grassroots effort.

What is funny is that I have heard that Christie didn't run because he didn't want to lose to Obama and wanted a 2016 shot.

Feb 4, 2009
I'd predict 1st new primary rules. This cycles crop of Republicans spent far too much time beating each other to bloodied messes, that is why every possible strong candidate stood this one out. 2nd I'd guess the tea party may separate, all the nuts would walk off with them to Presidential insignificance. They still would be a house & senate force.
Reality is by next election the vast majority of people will be at least ok with gay marriage and basic rights for women and white voters will be a minority.

Feb 4, 2009
I'd say the runners would be;

Chris Christie (overweight loud mouth)
Rand Paul (tea party + liberty movement + fringe candidate)
Rick Santorum (neoconservative)
Michelle Bachman (bat shit crazy woman vote)
Marco Rubio (the clutch Hispanic)
Paul Ryan (I will say anything you want me to say)

Maybe Demint, Jindal, Pawlenty, or even a Cantor but I doubt it.

If Hillary Clinton decided to run (which I doubt) it would take a young Republican with different ideas and one hell of a grassroots effort.

What is funny is that I have heard that Christie didn't run because he didn't want to lose to Obama and wanted a 2016 shot.

I think there is a real strong chance Hillary will run. Biden has implied he doesn't plan on being an old codger in government. I believe he would be 72 in 2016 also keep in mind Hillary will be sitting this term out its safe to speculate its to prepare to run.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I would be more worried about who the Democrats are going to put up.

But then again, so many things happen in the years running up to an election. The pendulum swings, and people are just sick of the party that has ruled for 8 years.

Obama came out of nowhere. There will always be surprise candidates.

Actually the Republicans have some rising stars that are not "white." Paul Ryan being the exception.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I think Rubio is their best shot. Nikki Haley for VP.

Those two with the next few years of polish... they'd be a formidable pair.