Republican senator claims Bush has a "secret plan" to win the war in Iraq.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_...24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Montana) says he believes President Bush has a plan to win the war in Iraq but is keeping it quiet, a statement Democrats pounced on Wednesday as reminiscent of comments made during another divisive war.

Burns, at a debate Tuesday night with Democratic challenger Jon Tester, said he believes Bush has a plan to win ? but added: "we're not going to tell you what our plan is."

Talk about desperation. Now they have a "secret plan".
IIRC didn't Nixon have a secret plan to win the war in Viet Nam?
How'd that work out?
How stupid do Repubicans think Americans are?

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_...24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Montana) says he believes President Bush has a plan to win the war in Iraq but is keeping it quiet, a statement Democrats pounced on Wednesday as reminiscent of comments made during another divisive war.

Burns, at a debate Tuesday night with Democratic challenger Jon Tester, said he believes Bush has a plan to win ? but added: "we're not going to tell you what our plan is."

Translated: "Osama's not completely defrosted yet"

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Not only is Conrad Burns on the 20 most corrupt legislator list--he is also on the endangered species list also--as one of those legislators extermely likely to lose the 2006
election---a mere 20 days to live---clearly getting to be a desperate man.

And yes, Richard M. Nixon had a similar secret plan he stole from McGovern after he poo pood the McGovern plan---he simply renamed it peace with honor.

But GWB had his little plans in Iraq---he just forgot to ask the Iraqi people and the insurgency what they though of his plan---and they not only did not think much of it---they demonstrated for all the world to see exactly how and why GWB's little plan did not work.---and the stay the course answer GWB now publically gives sounds like some hollow kindergarden chant--my plan will work, will too will too

Why should we now believe that any secret Bush plan would fare any better----and how do you consult in advance with the insurgency or the Iraqi people to test how well your plan will be received---when its a secret plan??---after all---the Iraqi people are this secret plans consumers--and if they reject it---end of story.

Idiots like Burn's are so easy to debunk.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
You are taking his comment out of context. And he never used the word "secret"
Try being a little more honest in your posts Techs.

The "Burns later said: "There is a plan. We're not going to tell you, Jon." was in response to an exchange about withdrawing the troops from Iraq, not winning the war. A huge differrence. You are falling for the Democratic spin.

Look at the comment in context
In a tense exchange with Tester, who has taken a slim lead in recent polls, Burns hammered the Democratic challenger for his call on the president to develop a plan for withdrawing troops from Iraq.

"He wants everyone to know our plan. That's not smart," Burns said.

"He said our president (doesn't) have a plan. I think he's got one, but he's not going to tell everybody in the world," Burns added. "If you want to go out and spar for a fight, are you going to tell your enemy what your plan is? I don't think so."

Burns later said: "There is a plan. We're not going to tell you, Jon."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
'There is a plan and we aren't telling you' does not equal 'there is a plan and we are keeping it secret' is true only in the alternative universe where Republican mindsets live.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001

Talk about desperation. Now they have a "secret plan".
IIRC didn't Nixon have a secret plan to win the war in Viet Nam?
How'd that work out?
How stupid do Repubicans think Americans are?
If Bush has a plan why is it we don't see anyone else talking abut 'the plan'. And how come we see no evidence of any plan except 'stay the course' which is neither a strategary nor a plan. One congressman saying that there is a secret plan does make it real. He was just trying to gain points in the debate but comes off looking worse.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah, his big plan is going to be strategic redeployment.

I've heard of that before, it was "cut and run".

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
'There is a plan and we aren't telling you' does not equal 'there is a plan and we are keeping it secret' is true only in the alternative universe where Republican mindsets live.

All this over a time table for pulling out? I don't think Iran needs a date to mark on their calendar for knowing when we're handing Iraq over to them.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

QFT

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Committees:
? Special Committee on Aging
? Appropriations
? Commerce, Science and Transportation
? Energy and Natural Resources
? Small Business and Entrepreneurship

If there really is a plan, I doubt Burns knows anything about it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt
Committees:
? Appropriations

hehe. Neither does Bush.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt
Committees:
? Appropriations

hehe. Neither does Bush.

The secret plan involves stopping online gambling, which is obviously finances terrorism, just like copyright infringement, abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research, and teaching anything but english in math in schools. Once we can fix all these things and make sure they're never brought up as an issue again, only then can we begin to truly combat terrorism. At least that's what Fox News tells me, and they claim to be Fair and Balanced.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
I heard Bush is putting the Iraqis on double secret probation.
Now THAT is funny:D

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life".

2 out 3 worked pretty well for W.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

All this over a time table for pulling out? I don't think Iran needs a date to mark on their calendar for knowing when we're handing Iraq over to them.

You might have a point . . . then again, we essentially handed the country over after we invaded . . . without a plan.

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
You are taking his comment out of context. And he never used the word "secret"
Try being a little more honest in your posts Techs.

The "Burns later said: "There is a plan. We're not going to tell you, Jon." was in response to an exchange about withdrawing the troops from Iraq, not winning the war. A huge differrence. You are falling for the Democratic spin.

Look at the comment in context
In a tense exchange with Tester, who has taken a slim lead in recent polls, Burns hammered the Democratic challenger for his call on the president to develop a plan for withdrawing troops from Iraq.

"He wants everyone to know our plan. That's not smart," Burns said.

"He said our president (doesn't) have a plan. I think he's got one, but he's not going to tell everybody in the world," Burns added. "If you want to go out and spar for a fight, are you going to tell your enemy what your plan is? I don't think so."

Burns later said: "There is a plan. We're not going to tell you, Jon."

Definition of secret
1. done, made, or conducted without the knowledge of others: secret negotiations.
2. kept from the knowledge of any but the initiated or privileged: a secret password.
3. faithful or cautious in keeping confidential matters confidential; close-mouthed; reticent.

4. designed or working to escape notice, knowledge, or observation: a secret drawer; the secret police.
5. secluded, sheltered, or withdrawn: a secret hiding place.
6. beyond ordinary human understanding; esoteric.
7. (of information, a document, etc.) a. bearing the classification secret.
b. limited to persons authorized to use information documents, etc., so classified.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Pens1566
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life".

2 out 3 worked pretty well for W.

And Ted Kennedy aced the whole shebang! :laugh:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Where have you heard it before? From the Nazis for one. Germans believed that hitler would come in at any moment with secret weapons that would turn the tide of the war.