Republican National Convention opens with huge hurricane support activities

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: jpeyton
It's McCain's big tent circus, starring Sarah Palin: The Human Contradiction.

You must not have gotten the message from your boss. Here:

Democratic nominee Sen. Barack Obama Monday afternoon issued a strong statement to ?back off? reports of Bristol Palin?s pregnancy, telling reporters families ? and especially children ? are off limits in this presidential campaign.

Mr. Obama, campaigning here, also noted that his own mother was 18 when she gave birth to him.

?People?s families are off limits,? he said. ?People?s children are especially off limits. This shouldn?t be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin?s performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. ?

?I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories,? he added. ?That shouldn?t be a topic in our politics.?

He vehemently pushed back against an unnamed McCain aide suggesting his campaign had any ties to the blogs that were spreading rumors before the news broke, saying he was ?offended? by that and if any of his staff was involved in spreading the issue, ?they?d be fired.?

+5 points in Obama's column on my score sheet. That's the kind of talk I like to hear from a potential president. :thumbsup:

I could not agree more it is nice to see Obama practice what he preaches. I do hope if this keeps up he will go a little further and call out the offenders in the media and online. Obama seems like a good upstanding man to bad he is on the opposite end of my most important issues this election year.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
As an American, I have to be delighted that hurricane Gustav proved less strong than it could have been. Its possible to be partisan and spin lots of things, but at the end of the day one cannot spin a hurricane.
And even amid partisan spin on many issues, Americans of both parties came together to step back from a spin everything mantra.

No party can take credit for dodging the worst of the bullet of Gustav, but all Americans should be happy that damage is minimal. And if both parties can embrace the right of an unwed teen to keep her life private, there may be hope for an end to a partisan America.

Perfectly said.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Originally posted by: quest55720
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: jpeyton
It's McCain's big tent circus, starring Sarah Palin: The Human Contradiction.

You must not have gotten the message from your boss. Here:

Democratic nominee Sen. Barack Obama Monday afternoon issued a strong statement to ?back off? reports of Bristol Palin?s pregnancy, telling reporters families ? and especially children ? are off limits in this presidential campaign.

Mr. Obama, campaigning here, also noted that his own mother was 18 when she gave birth to him.

?People?s families are off limits,? he said. ?People?s children are especially off limits. This shouldn?t be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin?s performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. ?

?I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories,? he added. ?That shouldn?t be a topic in our politics.?

He vehemently pushed back against an unnamed McCain aide suggesting his campaign had any ties to the blogs that were spreading rumors before the news broke, saying he was ?offended? by that and if any of his staff was involved in spreading the issue, ?they?d be fired.?

+5 points in Obama's column on my score sheet. That's the kind of talk I like to hear from a potential president. :thumbsup:

I could not agree more it is nice to see Obama practice what he preaches. I do hope if this keeps up he will go a little further and call out the offenders in the media and online. Obama seems like a good upstanding man to bad he is on the opposite end of my most important issues this election year.
i agree. way to stand up for families. I doubt anyone will actually stop with the attacks though.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: RKDaley
Originally posted by: Napalm
Lots of money raising going on at their "Hookers and Blow" party...

Hookers and Blow

Well looky there. There appears to be one of those self-centered party-hearty rock concerts that the OP chided the DNC about.

Nope, I mentioned nothing of DNC after-hours parties. Only was speaking to what the average American saw on convention programming. Nice red-herring attempt, but ultimate fail.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: aphex
Based on the massive amount of hurricane relief organization, communication, and action taken by state and federal agencies, and the singular dedication of significant resources by the RNC to hurricane response, it appears Gustav will be a blessing in disguise to McCain and the Republicans, contrasted with the self-centered party-hearty DNC rock concert which has already been forgotten.

Which is worse - A self-centered rock concert, or trying to capitalize on a natural disaster?

You forget, calling a natural disaster proof of God picking Obama.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
Barack Obama text messaged and e-mailed millions of people today soliciting donations for the Hurricane relief effort.

He did? or did his campaign staffers send out a blanket email/text? Because if Obama personally sent it to every person I'll go vote for him since he can truly reach out to everyone one on one.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I just love the doublespeak of people on these forums. If the convention went on as planned they would be front and center criticizing the RNC for not carring.

So they(RNC) decides to make the first day about procedural stuff and remindingg people about donating to any relief funds they can and they are called opportunists. You cant make this shit up.

Meanwhile since Gustav failed to deliver another Katrina for the MSM. They are back at it with hard hitting (Maury Povich style)journalism about a 17 year olds pregnancy. And the brain dead left who complain about the sheeple on the right are eating it up. They cant turn the dial as they stare blank into the screen.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah its kinda bad on ones presidential resume to show video of bodies floating in flood waters. Something Bush did not mind having on his resume.
Not funny... but truthful!

PS. Thank God the storm wasn't as bad this time.
And with republican GW still in charge, thank God
for New Orleans its an election year.
Also not funny, but again truthful!

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: hellokeith
Originally posted by: RKDaley
Originally posted by: Napalm
Lots of money raising going on at their "Hookers and Blow" party...

Hookers and Blow

Well looky there. There appears to be one of those self-centered party-hearty rock concerts that the OP chided the DNC about.

Nope, I mentioned nothing of DNC after-hours parties.

From your OP:
Originally posted by: hellokeith
[...] contrasted with the self-centered party-hearty DNC rock concert which has already been forgotten.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Good job by Obama on the statement quoted above.

I got home late last night, but from what I saw on the cable news programs it was almost as if the RNC didn't exist. Most of the usual news programs ran non-stop Gustav coverage.

Whatever the RNC etc was doing for hurricane victims, or anything else for that matter, looks like the MSM is ignoring it.

So far, looks like a *minus* for the Repubs.

Fern