Republican National Convention opens with huge hurricane support activities

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Donate to the affected states' relief efforts at causegreater.com

RNC opens with a presentation by First Lady Laura Bush with a message of hurricane relief efforts and a video from 4 governors on their hurricane response services.

Cindy McCain then presents CauseGreater.com, a website for those who wish to donate resources to the affected states' hurricane relief efforts.

The RNC has setup on the main convention floor a hurricane computer center. At the Minneapolis Convention Center, the RNC is setting up a hurricane relief distribution node where 80,000 care packages will be sent via FedEx to those displaced/hurt by the hurricane. And at a local Minneapolis hotel, the RNC is setting up a 150 line telephone bank for a donation drive for hurricane relief.

Convention schedule changes can be found here.

Based on the massive amount of hurricane relief organization, communication, and action taken by state and federal agencies, and the singular dedication of significant resources by the RNC to hurricane response, it appears Gustav will be a blessing in disguise to McCain and the Republicans, contrasted with the self-centered party-hearty DNC rock concert which has already been forgotten.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
"Some of them said, ?Oh, my God? when they first heard the news, but they declined to discuss the matter with a reporter."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09...Y.html?pagewanted=2&hp

Based on reactions like these, I doubt hurricane relief will be the main thing in the news about the RNC. Even Republicans at the convention are apparently flabbergasted by other events.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Based on the massive amount of hurricane relief organization, communication, and action taken by state and federal agencies, and the singular dedication of significant resources by the RNC to hurricane response, it appears Gustav will be a blessing in disguise to McCain and the Republicans, contrasted with the self-centered party-hearty DNC rock concert which has already been forgotten.

Which is worse - A self-centered rock concert, or trying to capitalize on a natural disaster?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: hellokeith

RNC opens with a presentation by First Lady Laura Bush with a message of hurricane relief efforts and a video from 4 governors on their hurricane response services.

Cindy McCain then presents CauseGreater.com, a website for those who wish to donate resources to the affected states' hurricane relief efforts.

The RNC has setup on the main convention floor a hurricane computer center. At the Minneapolis Convention Center, the RNC is setting up a hurricane relief distribution node where 80,000 care packages will be sent via FedEx to those displaced/hurt by the hurricane. And at a local Minneapolis hotel, the RNC is setting up a 150 line telephone bank for a donation drive for hurricane relief.

LOL, making a silk out of a sows ear.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
, it appears Gustav will be a blessing in disguise to McCain and the Republicans,

Well, we see how it works out.

I saw CSPAN last night and they were focus polling a group of undecided voters, almost all (if not all) thought they should proceed with the convention. I started thinking they should turn this to their advantage. Make their Hurricane response efforts the focus instead of themselves.

Will see how it plays to the voters etc.

Fern

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

i'm sure if gustav had hit during the dnc, they woudl have been just as focused on gustav as the rnc is pretending to be.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Barack Obama text messaged and e-mailed millions of people today soliciting donations for the Hurricane relief effort.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

i'm sure if gustav had hit during the dnc, they woudl have been just as focused on gustav as the rnc is pretending to be.
Yeah like the Republicans they aren't above taking advantage of a Natural Disaster as a PR Ploy.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's McCain's big tent circus, starring Sarah Palin: The Human Contradiction.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Wow, what a difference being in a campaign makes for the Republicans.

I saw a photo this morning of McCain with Bush and a cake during Katrina...

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234

exactly.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Republicans: Politically profiting from disaster since September 11th, 2001.

I'm glad they are trying to do something, seriously...but every time somebody like hellokeith tries to spin it like this (and somebody like him ALWAYS does), it makes me want to vote for the Communist party.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

And I saw a picture of Democrat Ray Nagin's empty buses that he said he didn't have to evacuate the city's residents during Katrina.

I noticed that he decided to fly back to New Orleans early from the Dem's convention - did you mention this during the DNC Convention thread? I'll have to check...

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: aphex

Which is worse - A self-centered rock concert, or trying to capitalize on a natural disaster?

Capitalize by helping the people?

I'm sure if they didn't do this, they would be criticized for not caring.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: aphex

Capitalize by helping the people?

I'm sure if they didn't do this, they would be criticized for not caring.

Of course they would!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton

You must not have gotten the message from your boss. Here:

Democratic nominee Sen. Barack Obama Monday afternoon issued a strong statement to ?back off? reports of Bristol Palin?s pregnancy, telling reporters families ? and especially children ? are off limits in this presidential campaign.

Mr. Obama, campaigning here, also noted that his own mother was 18 when she gave birth to him.

?People?s families are off limits,? he said. ?People?s children are especially off limits. This shouldn?t be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin?s performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. ?

?I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories,? he added. ?That shouldn?t be a topic in our politics.?

He vehemently pushed back against an unnamed McCain aide suggesting his campaign had any ties to the blogs that were spreading rumors before the news broke, saying he was ?offended? by that and if any of his staff was involved in spreading the issue, ?they?d be fired.?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's a very well worded and concise response from Obama that will play well with the media and their viewers. :thumbsup:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: XMan

Democratic nominee Sen. Barack Obama Monday afternoon issued a strong statement to ?back off? reports of Bristol Palin?s pregnancy, telling reporters families ? and especially children ? are off limits in this presidential campaign.

Mr. Obama, campaigning here, also noted that his own mother was 18 when she gave birth to him.

?People?s families are off limits,? he said. ?People?s children are especially off limits. This shouldn?t be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin?s performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. ?

?I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories,? he added. ?That shouldn?t be a topic in our politics.?

He vehemently pushed back against an unnamed McCain aide suggesting his campaign had any ties to the blogs that were spreading rumors before the news broke, saying he was ?offended? by that and if any of his staff was involved in spreading the issue, ?they?d be fired.?

+5 points in Obama's column on my score sheet. That's the kind of talk I like to hear from a potential president. :thumbsup:

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Napalm
Lots of money raising going on at their "Hookers and Blow" party...

Hookers and Blow

Well looky there. There appears to be one of those self-centered party-hearty rock concerts that the OP chided the DNC about.

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: XMan

+5 points in Obama's column on my score sheet. That's the kind of talk I like to hear from a potential president. :thumbsup:

Too right, but good luck actually convincing these frothy-mouthed liberals to back off.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As an American, I have to be delighted that hurricane Gustav proved less strong than it could have been. Its possible to be partisan and spin lots of things, but at the end of the day one cannot spin a hurricane.
And even amid partisan spin on many issues, Americans of both parties came together to step back from a spin everything mantra.

No party can take credit for dodging the worst of the bullet of Gustav, but all Americans should be happy that damage is minimal. And if both parties can embrace the right of an unwed teen to keep her life private, there may be hope for an end to a partisan America.