Republican Lobbyist Caught Selling Access To Admin For Donations To Bush Library.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Damn, this sounds almost as bad as Buffet charging 28000$ for people to have dinner with him and BHO.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I highly doubt this gets tied to Bush, sorry to disappoint you guys.

One thing is for certain, we should bar Presidents from raising money for their libraries while still in office and we should require full disclosure of anyone and everyone who helps to pay for them as well. There were a lot of questions about the Clinton library and now Bush seems to be following in his foot steps.

Another 'Clinton did it too'?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Robor

One thing is for certain, we should bar Presidents from raising money for their libraries while still in office and we should require full disclosure of anyone and everyone who helps to pay for them as well. There were a lot of questions about the Clinton library and now Bush seems to be following in his foot steps.
Seems you missed my point which was to point out that there is a pattern of this happening recently.

Thus my suggestion for a remedy. If Bush had been the only time this had happened then my suggestions wouldn't be necessary.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

Seems you missed my point which was to point out that there is a pattern of this happening recently.

Thus my suggestion for a remedy. If Bush had been the only time this had happened then my suggestions wouldn't be necessary.

You have evidence someone sold access to Clinton for money?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
A GWB library quickly brings to mind that old (and ethnically insensitive) joke about having to close the Polish National Library........Somebody stole the book!

I hope they at least have a prominent place for a copy of the book about the goat that Bush was reading during 9-11.

On a more serious note, Cheney set the tone for this Administration early on when he told us that it was none of the public's business who he even talked to (let alone what was said) so GWB could form a national energy policy. It's been a game of "let's see how much of the government workings we can keep secret" ever since. While this is a serious breach of the public trust that I find disgusting, it does have it's element of hilarity since a really popular refrain from the Right has been "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.". Bush and Co. seem to have a lot they want to hide. It does make one curious as to what they fear.

And while influence pedaling for cash is not unique to this Administration, they do seem determined to develop it into an art form.

I would have thought that GWB might have spent the last year of his final term at least trying to polish the turd that his time in office has become since he seems worried about his legacy. But instead, he just wants to stir it around and keep the stink level high.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
How much money does he really need to raise? After all, they aren't going to have a single document in it with the veil of secrecy that this administration has worked under. This will be the first presidential library in history that will require you to have a body cavity search before and after you enter the building.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Strange things those patterns, eh?

Sorry, PJ, your reply made that too easy to pass up! ;)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

I care more about competence than values.

And with the Bushwhackos, you got neither.

I highly doubt you know enough about Stephen Payne to make that statement so here's a clue:

Payne's résumé reads like a classic tale of political back-scratching -- a man who did well while doing good for political allies. He was a Bush "Pioneer" in 2000, raising at least $100,000, and a "Ranger" in 2004, collecting more than $200,000. He told Dos that he had brought in more than $1 million for the GOP.

Payne was rewarded in the ordinary ways, small but useful. He served on the 2001 Inaugural Committee and now sits on an advisory panel for the Department of Homeland Security. His firm's Web site advertised that Payne "assists the White House as a Senior Advance Representative traveling internationally in advance of and with" Bush and Cheney, and that he "facilitated discussions" between Cheney and President Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan, a leader as autocratic as he is corrupt.

Here's more from his own resume:

BACKGROUND

Mr. Payne's political career began in 1988 as the Legislative Director for Texas State Senator J.E. "Buster" Brown. During his tenure as Legislative Director, Mr. Payne began his affiliation with the Bush White House by serving as a White House Advance Representative for President George Herbert Walker Bush, coordinating dozens of official White House events across the nation, and serving as George W. Bush's personal travel aide during his father?s 1988 Presidential campaign. After working in the Texas State Capitol for five years, Mr. Payne expanded on his political base by serving on the special election campaign for then-State Treasurer Kay Bailey Hutchison?s run for the United States Senate. After her election to the Senate, Mr. Payne joined her efforts in Texas, serving as the State Director of Special Projects and Deputy Director of the Southeast Texas Region until 1996.
POLITICAL

Mr. Payne was a vital volunteer member of the Bush 2000 and 2004 campaigns? Advance operations, in which he spent more than a year traveling with the campaign as a volunteer. Mr. Payne was part of a small team of Bush operatives, including former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card, who coordinated the 2000 campaign?s efforts for the three Presidential debates, also serving as the Lead Advance Representative for the 2004 Vice Presidential debate. Mr. Payne?s national and state fundraising efforts are extensive. In both 2000 and 2004, Mr. Payne was not only one of the top Bush Campaign fundraisers in the nation, but also one of the youngest, earning him select national recognition. Mr. Payne?s fundraising activity includes membership on the Bush for President National Finance Committee, the Republican National Finance Committee, and the 2001 Presidential Inaugural Committee as Deputy Director and Congressional Liaison. Additionally, Mr. Payne served as a fundraiser and statewide Vice-Chairman for Texas Governor Rick Perry's 2002 campaign, as a Harris County Co-Chair for Perry's 1998 Lieutenant Governor race and as a statewide Vice-Chairman for Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison's re-election campaigns in 2000 and 2006.

< sarcasm >

Nope... No connections there. :roll:

< /sarcasm >

There were a lot of questions about the Clinton library and now Bush seems to be following in his foot steps.

WTFOMFGBBQWATERMELON!!! It's PJ's traditional bullshit "Clinton did it, too!" dodge! I'm shocked... shocked I tell you! :shocked:

Except that I already addressed your so called "point" long before you spewed your expected attempt to distract attention away from your Traitor In Chief to Clinton. To help you though your obvious short term memory lapse, I said:

The question isn't whether you're shocked. It's whether you're pissed. If you're not, it says a lot about your own values, none of which is very complimentary.

And don't give me any shit about it having gone on, before. We've got THIS administration's pimps and whores on tape, now, while they're still in office, while we can still do something about to them and serve notice that it stops, NOW.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: ericlp
Ah yes... your corrupted tax dollars at work. This is nothing new and or shocking really. Happens all the time just this guy got caught with his hand the cookie jar!

We need a revolution and quick.

Count me in.

BTW did Clinton ever release a list of contributors to his library?

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: woodie1
Originally posted by: ericlp
Ah yes... your corrupted tax dollars at work. This is nothing new and or shocking really. Happens all the time just this guy got caught with his hand the cookie jar!

We need a revolution and quick.

Count me in.

BTW did Clinton ever release a list of contributors to his library?

Well we know Sandy Berger was a big contributor.

Just ignore that "Property of the National Archives" stamp on the inside cover.