Republican House votes to send $25B of Boeing's business to Airbus.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/us-house-passes-bill-block-163455224.html

The House of Representatives has passed a measure that would block US aircraft sales to Iran, potentially undercutting a Boeing (NYSE: BA - news) deal with Tehran worth up to $25 billion.
Two amendments approved to an appropriations bill from Representative Peter Roskam would ban sales from Boeing and from European rival Airbus, amid concerns the aircraft could be used for military purposes, the congressman said in a statement Friday.
One amendment would prohibit the Office of Foreign Assets Control from using funds to authorize a license necessary to allow aircraft to be sold to Iran. A second would bar loans from US financial institutions to purchase militarily adaptable aircraft.

Cutting off nose to spite face.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Don't forget the Dems involved:

The amendments both passed by voice vote, which a statement from Roskam's office said indicates "overwhelming, bipartisan support.”

Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) wrote a letter to the Obama administration in June saying it is "virtually certain" the aircraft would be used for nefarious purposes, since Iran Air is aligned with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, which remains under sanction.

Iran Air was removed from a sanctions list as part of the nuclear deal with Iran, which rolled back sanctions in exchange for limits to Iran's nuclear program. The Obama administration has voiced support for the sale in recent weeks.

"Iran Air's aircraft will undoubtedly be used in the future to continue to funnel lethal assistance to Assad, to Hezbollah, and to other terrorist entities," Sherman wrote to Secretary of State John Kerry, Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew and Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker on June 30.

On Thursday, Sherman touted the passage of the amendments.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/286957-house-passes-legislation-blocking-boeing-sale-to-iran-air

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So they'll just buy Airbus and use it for exact same purposes, if that's really their plan.
Good job, Republican House.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That appropriations bill has too many other things that the Dems don't like to ever make it through the Senate in current form let alone avoid the President's veto. This probably amounts to nothing.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
That appropriations bill has too many other things that the Dems don't like to ever make it through the Senate in current form let alone avoid the President's veto. This probably amounts to nothing.

yup

i figured this was some company state vs. non company state thing, but roskam's from illinois. i guess that boeing lobbying cash hasn't made its way from chicago yet.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Germany says forces in Iran trying to torpedo nuclear deal
Responding to German intelligence agency reports that Iran has been trying to acquire nuclear technology in Germany, Berlin said on Friday that certain forces in Iran may be trying to undermine its nuclear deal with the West.

Germany's domestic intelligence agency, the Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), said in its annual report that Iranian efforts to illegally procure technology, especially in the nuclear area, had continued at a "high level" in 2015.
source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-nuclear-germany-idUSKCN0ZO1F9

Iran Violates the Deal. Now What?
In the months since the Iran nuclear deal went into effect, the Obama administration has acknowledged that the behavior of the Islamist regime hasn’t changed much. The Iranians continue to act as the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism, test illegal ballistic missiles, threaten their neighbors, and seek regional hegemony while its leaders spewed hate at the West, the United States, and Israel.

source: https://www.commentarymagazine.com/foreign-policy/middle-east/iran/iran-violates-deal-now/

Iran threatens to restart nuclear program
Iran upped the ante recently to pressure the Obama administration to release money to the terrorist regime, proving once again Iran believes it has the upper hand against the White House. Its trump card seems to be the threat of restarting its nuclear weapons program if it doesn’t get the financial resources and support for its economy it desires.

source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/6/iran-threatens-restart-nuclear-program/

Iranian commander: Missiles ready for the ‘annihilation’ of Israel
The deputy commander of Irain's power Revolutionary Guard said the country has over 100,000 missiles in Lebanon alone readied for the “annihilation” of Israel.

Speaking before Friday prayers on Iran’s state-run IRIB TV, Hossein Salami also said that Iran has “tens of thousands” of additional missiles that are ready to wipe the “accursed black dot” of Israel off the map, according to a translation from the Farsi by the Middle East Media Research Institute.

source: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Ir...s-ready-for-the-annihilation-of-Israel-459859

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
So they'll just buy Airbus and use it for exact same purposes, if that's really their plan.

Maybe we should be selling them nuclear material while we're at it. If not us, then they'll just get it from the Russians.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Except they could also ban the export of the jet engines required for most of those Airbus planes. All narrow body Airbus aircraft use engines that are at least 50% American. Some of the widebodies of Rolls only options, but those are probably still using parts made in the US and with licensed US technology.

Not to mention a ton of the systems and avionics on the Airbus aircraft are made in the US.

Not saying that I agree with blocking this sell, I am just saying they could also effectively block an Airbus sell as well. I really am not sure what people think they will do with a bunch of 737s, except maybe hauling troops/equipment around.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Except they could also ban the export of the jet engines required for most of those Airbus planes. All narrow body Airbus aircraft use engines that are at least 50% American. Some of the widebodies of Rolls only options, but those are probably still using parts made in the US and with licensed US technology.

Not to mention a ton of the systems and avionics on the Airbus aircraft are made in the US.

Not saying that I agree with blocking this sell, I am just saying they could also effectively block an Airbus sell as well. I really am not sure what people think they will do with a bunch of 737s, except maybe hauling troops/equipment around.
For some reason I'm getting a mental picture of towers. Weird, huh?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

So stop selling US plane parts to Airbus? Because $25B is not enough damage to the US economy?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So stop selling US plane parts to Airbus? Because $25B is not enough damage to the US economy?

Engines are sold directly to the airline, not airbus. Beyond that, the engines are earmarked for certain aircraft, so you can ban a sale to a specific operator without banning all sales to Airbus. Further, you can (EAR99 and ITAR) ban a company from delivering a part they know or believe will be transferred to banned party. Note, Israel did this on the Turkish AEW&C aircraft, while continuing to provide equipment to the other AEW&C aircraft and Boeing in general.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Engines are sold directly to the airline, not airbus. Beyond that, the engines are earmarked for certain aircraft, so you can ban a sale to a specific operator without banning all sales to Airbus. Further, you can (EAR99 and ITAR) ban a company from delivering a part they know or believe will be transferred to banned party. Note, Israel did this on the Turkish AEW&C aircraft, while continuing to provide equipment to the other AEW&C aircraft and Boeing in general.

So they'll buy Rolls Royce engines instead. Great news for American manufacturing?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So they'll buy Rolls Royce engines instead. Great news for American manufacturing?

I already covered that, and you already responded to it. Airbus only uses Rolls on their wide body aircraft. And the US could bar any parts they build in the US or US technology they license from being sold to Iran. Not to mention other systems and avionics that are built in the US. So congress could basically stop any Airbus sell as well.

But like I said, I don't have a problem with Boeing sell. I don't really like the idea of it being financed through the Export Import Bank. I also don't believe they will actually take delivery of all these orders either. They are not going to become the next Emirates.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
In any case, even if House Republicans block Airbus form selling too, that just means that on top of the $25B of Boeing contracts, US will lose additional billions from parts they would have supplied to Airbus for their Iran Air contract. Net effect is tens of billions lost by America for basically nothing but Congressional GOP pandering to Israel. And Republicans will still lose the Jewish vote.