Republican 'get tough on crime' stance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Give me a break. A convicted felon, serving time, should have no right to any say in determining the policies or leadership of this country. These people have been convicted of felonious crimes against the society in which they live; they do not deserve any right to influence that society.

As for felons no longer incarcerated, they should be given their right to vote back as, according to the justice system, they have served their time, paid their debt to society, and are seeking to reintegrate themselves into society.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Why is your title skewed to the right? What has changed since Clinton was in office? Criminals didn't have the right to vote back then either.

I am all for allowing those who have served their time to receive back their rights, even the right to bear arms, but in no way should they be allowed to vote when they are serving their time. You are supposed to lose certain rights when you go to prison.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
I am all for allowing those who have served their time to receive back their rights, even the right to bear arms, but in no way should they be allowed to vote when they are serving their time. You are supposed to lose certain rights when you go to prison.
Agreed.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Everyone knows how screwed up the justice system is. I bet 40% are not even guilty, look how the jury acted in the OJ case if you need anymore proof.

Point A: You didnt present any proof, so saying look at OJ for "more proof" is inaccurate
Point B: I dont see how you see "a rich guy getting a high priced laywer to get him off a charge using the race card" and "40% of convicted persons in the USA are not guilty" support each other.

I'm not saying the criminal justice system here in the USA is perfect, but I dont think 40% of convicts are not guilty.