Republican Fundraiser Savagely Beaten, MSM Slumbers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
If this was a politically motivated attack, let me join everyone decrying violence of any kind in our politics.

But meanwhile I refuse to jump to any conclusions, too few facts to conclude anything definitive yet.

As for the so called Liberal media, I heard of the incident long before, so 404 censorship not found.

I agree. There is no evidence that this was politically motivated and there is also no evidence a Tea Party member purposely spit on a Senator or call one the "nword".

But that really isn't the point of the thread. It is how the MSM covers the alleged actions of the Tea Party vs the alleged actions of "progressives".

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What were the "facts" about a Tea Party member purposely spitting on a Senator?

What were the "facts" about a Tea Party member calling a Senator the "N-Word"?

Oh thats right, there are no facts to backup those claims.

To start with, people at the scene were actually saying that these things occurred. Secondly, a Senator in DC is somewhat more significant than a Fund Raiser in Louisiana.

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
The official and unofficial statements that are being made are that political statements were made by the attackers but that there will be no immediate comments as to the nature of the statements so that the investigation will not be compromised, particularly as this assault may ultimately be deemed a hate crime in addition to criminal assault/attempted homicide.

The specific statement of Sarah Palin's name being used before or during the attack is attributed to a friend of Bautsch who visited her in the hospital.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The boyfriend of Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's chief fundraiser says he's unsure whether protesters were responsible for attacking the couple April 9 outside a Republican event in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

Joseph Brown told police protesters were outside Brennan's restaurant during the Louisiana Republican Party event. But most had left about an hour before Brown and 25-year-old Allee Bautsch left the restaurant.

According to a police report obtained by The Associated Press on Friday, the 29-year-old Brown said a group of men yelled obscenities and taunted them, but he heard nothing suggesting the attack was politically motivated. Bautsch suffered a broken leg in the attack.

The police report does not say what the protest was about.

Huh?

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
To start with, people at the scene were actually saying that these things occurred. Secondly, a Senator in DC is somewhat more significant than a Fund Raiser in Louisiana.

So someone *claiming* that something was said is more important compared to someone getting physically assaulted?

Really?

Again, there is no "FACTS' but the MSM acted like there were FACTS.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000

Other than you needing video evidence from salon.com to say "ok, they were in the wrong, get off our team" for a conservative to get even remotely the same treatment, not much.

Sorry man, if you can't see that you care only about like-minded people are don't care if the rest die or get hurt, then that is your problem.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So someone *claiming* that something was said is more important compared to someone getting physically assaulted?

Really?

Again, there is no "FACTS' but the MSM acted like there were FACTS.

Yes, really. Did anyone at the Scene of this beating make the Claims of Political Motivation? Answer:No

This ain't Rocket Science.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
So:

Senator claims politically motivated hate speech, it is reported as such.

Beating victim claims he heard nothing suggesting the attack was politically motivated and it is not reported as such.

Sounds like the MSM is treating both properly.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Huh? Are you hard of reading?

My personal guess is that it was an attack by lefty anarchist wackos.

I've seen them in Seattle, DC and other places carry out violent "political" actions. How about you? Do you see them as gentle pacifists chewing grass on some Elysian plain somewhere?

What's a lefty anarchist? Those seem like difficult philosophies to reconcile.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

I have a feeling none of these folk actually majored in political philosophy at Harvard.

I find them incoherent at best.

For lack of a better description than the one they ascribe to themselves...

anarchist, anti-authoritarian, feminist, anti-racist, queer-positive and class-conscious politics
Definitely not Republicans.

Card carrying Democrats?

Doubtful, but the Democrat Party has a large tent and the last five claims seem to be taken directly from the Democrat Party platform, don't they?
(Hehehe. :awe: joke.)

Last edited:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
This is screwed up, but the article I read suggested that they didn't have actual evidence this was politically motivated. Regardless of the motivations, it's totally unacceptable and I hope the perpetrators are put away for a long time.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The story reads like the got attacked and pummeled. Judging by his knuckles, he manned up after getting yelled up and got into a fight.

Still no idea what the F is going with the girl though; can't imagine drunk dudes stomping out a decent looking 120lb blonde. Maybe she tried to intervene and rolled her ankle on those 4in stilettos?

edit:

Either way I would bet my lunch that blog is 99% horse shit. The beauty of interwebs, you can write whatever you want.

it says he turned to confront the guys to give his girl time to run, so yeah i'm going with he probably threw some punches while getting beat down, who the fuck wouldn't? also, why the fuck does this have to be a hate crime even if the intentions were political? Who cares WHY they got beat down, they got beat down and the people who did it need to be brought to justice. The only reason the motive should be brought up is to shine a light on how there's douche bags of every persuasion.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
it says he turned to confront the guys to give his girl time to run, so yeah i'm going with he probably threw some punches while getting beat down, who the fuck wouldn't? also, why the fuck does this have to be a hate crime even if the intentions were political? Who cares WHY they got beat down, they got beat down and the people who did it need to be brought to justice. The only reason the motive should be brought up is to shine a light on how there's douche bags of every persuasion.

While I completely disagree with the entire concept of hate crimes, if they are going to apply this rule in any scenario, it should be applied equally. As it stands, it's pretty much impossible to get arrested for a hate crime unless you are white and non-gay. Let me guess, only straight white people hate things?

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
While I completely disagree with the entire concept of hate crimes, if they are going to apply this rule in any scenario, it should be applied equally. As it stands, it's pretty much impossible to get arrested for a hate crime unless you are white and non-gay. Let me guess, only straight white people hate things?

I find this subject really interesting.
If I remember correctly there was a thread a long time ago about the federal government coming in and telling a city how to run their election because someone claimed that by removing the political party from the ballot it disproportionally impacted the black community.

I think there was also something about minorities not being able to vote in jail and someone about that being "racist" in the eyes of the state because it disproportionally impacted minorities.

Now I wonder if hate crimes are in fact charged against white people more often than minorities and if that is the case the justice department doesn't argue that hate crime legislation disproportionally impacts whites.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You don't go walking the streets of N'awlins without your gun. That could have turned out much worse than it did.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Don't hold your breath. The judicial system in NOLA is a joke as well as a decent portion of NOPD. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good NO police officers but way too many bad apples are protected and even promoted. The thugs even have a name for being arrested for murder, its called a "60 day homicide" because they get out of jail in 60 days due to the DA not pressing charges.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Hold on here, we have gone a little far afield from the original thread contention that the so called Liberal media failed to report the incident and pretended it did not happen by failing to cover it. Read original thread title of "Republican Fundraiser Savagely Beaten, MSM Slumbers."

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Hold on here, we have gone a little far afield from the original thread contention that the so called Liberal media failed to report the incident and pretended it did not happen by failing to cover it. Read original thread title of "Republican Fundraiser Savagely Beaten, MSM Slumbers."

And you have decided that the media outlets (one of whom I have worked for) are not biased toward liberalism and that they need a DNA coded video with self confession in order for the MSM to report on it or make it newsworthy *edit* if it is a conservative asking for the same treatment as a lib would get. Of course, the requirements for libs to get the same press coverage are like a grainy video of a foot with an attached MP3 labeled RETOUCHED_VERSION.avi.

Your point?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Kappo, that's fine they should be treated equally, but I don't support hate crimes at all and no crime should be tried as one, I don't give a fuck if there has been criminals in the past who were tried for hate crimes, that shit needs to stop.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And you have decided that the media outlets (one of whom I have worked for) are not biased toward liberalism and that they need a DNA coded video with self confession in order for the MSM to report on it or make it newsworthy *edit* if it is a conservative asking for the same treatment as a lib would get. Of course, the requirements for libs to get the same press coverage are like a grainy video of a foot with an attached MP3 labeled RETOUCHED_VERSION.avi.

Your point?

One point is that you're ignoring that the victim said he heard nothing political from his attackers, contrary to the OP and the right-wing bloggers.

So claiming the MSM ignoring something (that the victim says didn't happen) is a double standard doesn't make much sense.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Come on, guys. Not all hope is lost.

Just
B%20Carved%20Face.jpg
positive.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

It's like Islamo-Fascist -- a made-up GOP label that has no basis in reality, and is only meant to smear someone in the absence of any coherent argument or facts.

One point is that you're ignoring that the victim said he heard nothing political from his attackers, contrary to the OP and the right-wing bloggers.

So claiming the MSM ignoring something (that the victim says didn't happen) is a double standard doesn't make much sense.

See above.

The GOP Fallacy is to ignore facts in evidence which strike directly at the basis of their argument --- and then simply label and attack.

See: Banking Reform.

The GOP is now labeling the banking reform legislation as the 'Bailout Bill' -- which, of course, has no basis in fact, is simply meant as a smear against proponents of banking reform, and creates more outrage from their illiterate base and propagandists.

--

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Its funny how the left never wants to jump to conclusions when its clear their goons are cracking peoples skulls. But if a Tea Party is within 500 miles of someone saying the n-word.. conclusions are jumping on the front page of every newspaper and leading the evening news..

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Come on, guys. Not all hope is lost.

Just
B%20Carved%20Face.jpg
positive.

brutally beaten???

haha, I found it funny that how brutal these pics looked. She actually looked like she was smiling in the photo and he didn't look too bad. Just a bunch of rich freaks posing for attention. Of course PJabber taking the bait as usual.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
ettu.jpg

What you folks keep missing is this: the more you cry wolf, the more you will be dismissed and ignored....:)

Last edited: