Republican Dodgers legend Steve Garvey rising in California Senate race

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Does this apply to Colin Kaepernick and LeBron James, especially LeBron James?
Yes ... Neither is qualified or has shown any interest in running for office or the presidency.

Or is it white conservative athletes shouldn't speak......

If you are a celebrity, you have the right not to speak and the right to speak as long as it is on their own time and not on the job promoting your politics.

I personally feel the national anthem shouldn't be played at sporting events, but as they are here to stay, people feel that it should be honored.
Where in my post that you quoted and bolded did I say athletes (whatever their political leaning) "shouldn't speak"?

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yes ... Neither is qualified or has shown any interest in running for office or the presidency.

Where in my post that you quoted and bolded did I say athletes (whatever their political leaning) "shouldn't speak"?
LeBron could easily win, because he has support among young whites, he won't need to worry about White Boomers or Gen Xers......he hold Republicans to 10 points in Ohio these days....

Jack Kemp and Bill Bradley were jocks and they both ran for president, they were qualified.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
So you agree you are obsessed with race?

It’s just weird as a lifelong American I would never think that so I’m wondering what happened to you.
Race is part of the country's problems....I mean, come on.....this country has problems. You think the 2020 protests were just a blip?

There's a problem between police and blacks, Kaepernick rightfully, as an athlete voiced that, however, the way he went about it was shaky.....

Steve Garvey wants us to stop looking at race and focus on tax cuts and getting blacks to be more conservative.....he's going to be in Compton, South Central, Oakland, etc. doing that....as a former athlete who worked and played with blacks and won a 1981 World Series with minorities.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Compared to Boebert, the 36 year old grandmother who got her GED shortly before being elected? Who do you feel is more qualified?

lol he voted for Trump. Qualifications for an office mean very little to him. His joke wasn’t funny, but conservatives don’t do humor very well. Someone like AOC makes him scared

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I figured at least a couple of you would get a twist in your panties over that. Despite your feelings, the statement is accurate.

just remember: Greenman is the guy that votes for pedo rapist Gym Jordan, because apparently raping college boys is qualifications for serving in Congress.

But being a bartender? lol---now that's funny! That's the joke! He's so fucking funny! It's funny because raping young boys is what he thinks qualifies you for serving people, but being a bartender for like, 3 months out of your entire life, means you don't know anything.

Just remember: this is a guy that hammered nails for a living, full stop, nothing more, and thinks a bartender is too dumb to represent him. But pedo rapists are great! so, there's that.

just don't forget: greenman is a no talent assclown that hasn't done shit for any human ever, in his entire life, and he wants to judge people..unless you rape college boys! If you do that, then no judgement: you're perfect. according to greenman, anyway.,

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Cincy Bengals Quarterback Joe Burrow would win in Ohio, specifically in the Cincy area...he's one of the few white athletes that care about the plight of the Black community regarding the police brutality/excessive force problem...he won't win rural Ohio because he's too liberal on these issues for them....
View attachment 92497
And you stumbled on the sad part. We know nothing politically about Joe Burrow other than he admitted publicly to being woke and that’s enough to eliminate him from rural Ohio. The other sad part rural Ohio is cool with disparate treatment of blacks people by the criminal justice system.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
And you stumbled on the sad part. We know nothing politically about Joe Burrow other than he admitted publicly to being woke and that’s enough to eliminate him from rural Ohio. The other sad part rural Ohio is cool with disparate treatment of blacks people by the criminal justice system.
Joe leans left, he has called out police brutality since 2014 when he was a high schooler....

Rural Ohio feels that Black Americans commit a large percentage of crime, hence the overrepresentation...
1706399291737.png

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My panties remain untwisted, I just think you're a bit of an idiot for feeling like you really did something there.
It's pretty funny when people think they're getting other people's panties in a bunch because they realize you're a dishonest regressive prick shithead.

I mean congratulations I guess? The whole point is nothing's twisted here. We get it. We're allowed to say it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I watched the debate the other day.

One washed up former baseball star who in the debate was consistently highly embarrassing.

3 highly qualified Democrats, called by the embarrassment, who is highly uninformed and lacks any kind of eloquence, "career politicians."

Last I heard, polls were showing:

Schiff 24%
Porter 19%
Garvey 18%
Lee 7%

I figure I will vote for Porter in order to try to keep Garvey off the general. It will be easier on the nerves and save money.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

One washed up former baseball star who in the debate was consistently highly embarrassing.

3 highly qualified Democrats, called by the embarrassment, who is highly uninformed and lacks any kind of eloquence, "career politicians."

Schiff 24%
Porter 19%
Garvey 18%
Lee 7%

I figure I will vote for Porter in order to try to keep Garvey off the general. It will be easier on the nerves and save money.
Honestly the way to save money is for Garvey to make it to the general because he will get blown out. If the general is between Schiff and Porter Democrats will spend a lot of money pointlessly on the race because it will be competitive.

Then again maybe Gettyroad is right and what America longs for is washed up athletes and Garvey will waltz to victory!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Honestly the way to save money is for Garvey to make it to the general because he will get blown out. If the general is between Schiff and Porter Democrats will spend a lot of money pointlessly on the race because it will be competitive.

Then again maybe Gettyroad is right and what America longs for is washed up athletes and Garvey will waltz to victory!

The top two system is really dumb. We should just have a regular primary like normal people.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The top two system is really dumb. We should just have a regular primary like normal people.
I strongly disagree! A top two primary system is a real primary system where the two candidates the voters want the most go head to head.

A ‘regular’ primary means basically electoral welfare based on party where the voters are forced to choose between a Democrat and a Republican not based on the merits but based on the letter next to their name.

Reactions: Muse and Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I strongly disagree! A top two primary system is a real primary system where the two candidates the voters want the most go head to head.

A ‘regular’ primary means basically electoral welfare based on party where the voters are forced to choose between a Democrat and a Republican not based on the merits but based on the letter next to their name.

I'd really rather just use RCV for a conventional primary.

Reactions: nakedfrog

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Well, it doesn't matter what the polls say now because it's a well known fact that they're undercounting the impact that the Cuba embargo is having on California's substantial Cuban population. That will bring Garvey across the line first, just you wait and see.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd really rather just use RCV for a conventional primary.
But the purpose of a primary is to clear the field so the voters have a clear choice in the general election, it’s not intended to make it a choice between a Republican and a Democrat regardless of their popularity. Why discard the voters’ second place choice based on their party ID?

Reactions: Zorba and Muse

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In the eyes of some rightwingers yes...

There's nothing wrong with criticizing your nation, but to a lot of conservatives, it's seen as disrespectful or anti-American, especially American conservatives.
These same right wingers disrespect the military

These same right wingers attack the police

These same right wingers openly hope for the failure of the country.

Tell me again who is patriotic??

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Schiff 24%
Porter 19%
Garvey 18%
Lee 7%

Another Tommy Tubberville?

That’s all we need /s Because some will think I am serious

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Not in California. We did have Schwarzenegger, but he was more than a washed up bodybuilder, he was a megastar Hollywood actor. OK, not much better. But Garvey is a relative loser in this situation. He'd get godsmacked in the general.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
Not in California. We did have Schwarzenegger, but he was more than a washed up bodybuilder, he was a megastar Hollywood actor. OK, not much better. But Garvey is a relative loser in this situation. He'd get godsmacked in the general.
Arnold was a good governor, the 2000s was a bad economic time and he got sulked by it.