Republican congresswoman on page board buried file on husband's child sex abuse allegation

Feb 10, 2000
I hope this isn't a repost - I searched for numerous related terms. From the Raw Story:

A file allegedly suppressed by Congresswoman Heather Wilson (R-NM) has been obtained by RAW STORY.

In 1995, just three days into her tenure as Secretary of the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department, Wilson removed a routine working file alleging that her husband had engaged in inappropriate contact with a minor. The file was then transferred to the department's attorney in her own Albuquerque office, where it soon went missing.

At the time, a local investigative news team learned about the swap, but could not confirm certain details of the file. They were not able to recover the document itself.

More than ten years later, RAW STORY has uncovered and confirmed the authenticity of the police incident report believed to be contained in the missing dossier. Filed as a case of child abuse in 1993, it contends that Wilson's husband Jay Hone, an Albuquerque attorney, touched a then-16 year old boy "in a manner that was not welcome."

Charges were never filed against her husband, but Wilson's handling of the affair drew the ire of Bob Schwartz who at the time served as district attorney in Bernalillo County. He described Wilson's actions to the news team as "absolutely inappropriate," citing her "obvious conflict of interest." He also admonished Wilson for not following official procedure for the removal of official documents. "If this file is behind Secretary Wilson's desk," Schwartz said, "then she shouldn't be behind this desk anymore. She should resign."

Wilson originally denied to the news team that she had removed the file. Footage from that investigation was available on the internet site YouTube as recently as several days ago, but has since been removed by the site over concerns regarding copyright infringment.

In that video, also uncovered by RAW STORY, Wilson flatly denies ordering the removal of the document. The Congresswoman ultimately admitted to doing so in a press conference just days later.

Six years after the incident, in 2001, Wilson began a three year term on the House Page Board, where she sat while rumors of Mark Foley's inappropriate behavior with underage men were reportedly widespread. Her campaign staff told the Albuquerque Tribune that she only became aware of the Congressman's behavior after an ABC news report on the matter prompted him to resign.

Wilson also currently serves on the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's caucus.

RAW STORY spoke with members of Wilson's legislative and campaign staffs, but neither office was able to provide comment before press time.

Scans of the report follow . . .

Okay, just what the hell is going on, on the Hill? This is the same arch-conservative who nearly broke down crying while speaking about the Janet Jackson Super Bowl incident. Rep. Wilson's actions, and her subsequent lying about them, seem indefensible to me, and it is particularly galling that she went on to serve on the page board and the Missing and Exploited Children's caucus.

It's amazing to me this story hasn't gotten more traction in light of the Foley case, but in any event I applaud the Raw Story for laying their hands on the original police report.

Does anyone want to stand up to defend this?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
If it is true, it is reprehensible.

However, I wouldn't trust a damn thing from RawStory. Certainly haven't seen anything about this in the mainstream media, and they'd be all over it like flies on sh!t if there were even a shred of merit to it.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
If it is true, it is reprehensible.

However, I wouldn't trust a damn thing from RawStory. Certainly haven't seen anything about this in the mainstream media, and they'd be all over it like flies on sh!t if there were even a shred of merit to it.

Did you read the story? Raw Story has just uncovered the underlying document - the story itself, including her admission that she took the file, then lied about it, is apparently not in dispute.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito
Did you read the story? Raw Story has just uncovered the underlying document - the story itself, including her admission that she took the file, then lied about it, is apparently not in dispute.

Yeah, it looks like a police report, though it is certainly hard to read portions of it.

However, where is the evidence to support the claim that she 'buried' the file?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
FYI, here is a transcript of the now-removed video about her taking the file. She denied it to reporters, then called a press conference when it was clear the story would air, to admit doing exactly that.

Another left-wing nut site ... Like I said, I'll believe this when the MSM reports it. There's way too many "We can't show this" and "Unofficial" in all of it. Seems like a lot of third hand conjecture and speculation ... and, given the nature of the sources...

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I'm not sure what this has to do with the "liberal media" or why you even brought it up. Please clarify.

Feb 10, 2000
FYI, here is a transcript of the now-removed video about her taking the file. She denied it to reporters, then called a press conference when it was clear the story would air, to admit doing exactly that.

Another left-wing nut site ... Like I said, I'll believe this when the MSM reports it. There's way too many "We can't show this" and "Unofficial" in all of it. Seems like a lot of third hand conjecture and speculation ... and, given the nature of the sources...

That's an awfully convenient out. Again, the validity of the story hasn't really been called into question. It sounds like it was widely reported in NM when it happened, though the police report wasn't available at that time.

Are you seriously implying that that transcript is doctored? That would be actionable libel against a sitting Congresswoman.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ntdz
I'm not sure what this has to do with the "liberal media" or why you even brought it up. Please clarify.

I guess I need to draw you a diagram, eh? This was what I posted:

It's amazing to me this story hasn't gotten more traction in light of the Foley case, but in any event I applaud the Raw Story for laying their hands on the original police report.

My point was that if the media were really so liberal, they would have jumped on this story, since it appears to be a genuine case of a Republican congresswoman hiding allegations of child sex abuse for personal political gain. The "liberal media" are a bunch of lapdogs who are too afraid of being whacked in the nose with a newspaper to do their jobs.

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
"You knew..."
"we must ask ourselves where these American CEOs have lost their way"
"kids on the playground were thinking about Janet's boob when they should have been concentrating on the Patriots and their moooves on the field"

I love this woman. Heather Wilson for President.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That's an awfully convenient out. Again, the validity of the story hasn't really been called into question. It sounds like it was widely reported in NM when it happened, though the police report wasn't available at that time.

I certainly never saw anything about it.

Are you seriously implying that that transcript is doctored? That would be actionable libel against a sitting Congresswoman.

Well, the transcript is labeled as "Unofficial"...

Feb 10, 2000

I certainly never saw anything about it.

Well, the transcript is labeled as "Unofficial"...

You wouldn't have heard anything about it - she was just a state functionary at the time this all happened. The only reason it's breaking again now is that the Raw Story finally got their mitts on the police report, and frankly it becomes more newsworthy in light of the Foley story and her status on the page board and the Missing and Exploited Children's caucus.

I don't expect you to agree, but I see no reason to believe this transcript was cooked up. I actually e-mailed her as a (sincerely) disappointed fellow alum of the AF officer corps, but I doubt I will get a response.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You wouldn't have heard anything about it - she was just a state functionary at the time this all happened. The only reason it's breaking again now is that the Raw Story finally got their mitts on the police report, and frankly it becomes more newsworthy in light of the Foley story and her status on the page board and the Missing and Exploited Children's caucus.

Yes, but like I said, if there is any real merit to the story, the mainstream media will be all over it. I've already said if this is true, it is reprehensible, her status on those boards notwithstanding.

I don't expect you to agree, but I see no reason to believe this transcript was cooked up. I actually e-mailed her as a (sincerely) disappointed fellow alum of the AF officer corps, but I doubt I will get a response.

RawStory isn't exactly known for being a bastion of truth. It is the equivalent of Drudge which also doesn't get much respect around here.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

Especially since Rawstory wrote an article about it. Looks like the liberal media is in full function.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I guess I need to draw you a diagram, eh? This was what I posted:

My point was that if the media were really so liberal, they would have jumped on this story, since it appears to be a genuine case of a Republican congresswoman hiding allegations of child sex abuse for personal political gain. The "liberal media" are a bunch of lapdogs who are too afraid of being whacked in the nose with a newspaper to do their jobs.

The mere fact that you're posting this means the liberal media got a hold of it. However, the fact of the matter is this is an old story, it happened more than 10 years ago and already has been investigated, again, years ago.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I heard about this on the Howard Stern Show yesterday. It wasn't breaking news, in fact it came up while they were takling about Limbaugh's dispicable condemnation of Mike Fox as another example of Right Wing Psuedo Motal Hypoctrites.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I'm kinda curious . . . seems like I remember the days of Vince Foster . . . and all kinds of nefarious goings on associated with a former President and his entourage . . . Clinton Chronicles, anyone? Despite the fact that there was NO substantive evidence of malfeasance the stories were circulated (and recirculated) in both the fringe right and MSM.

Yet here's a case (Wilson) where the wrongdoing (allegedly) by the husband was then subsequently covered up (allegedly) by Wilson. Wilson then LIED about it but then subsequently admitted to lying . . . or at very least I'm sure she gave a 'truthiness' mea culpa. Yet she then goes on to CRY about Janet Jackson's floppy boob?!

And of course as per norm in wacky Washington, she not only serves on the Foley Page Service for Boys Board but she's also in the caucus for Missing and Exploited Children?!

It's certainly possible (if not likely) she didn't know about Foley. It's pretty obvious she KNEW about her husband and took steps to hide it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
SLightly off topic due to who the OP is.

What is with these moles Klobochar and Wetterling planted in their opponents campaign HQs to spy?

I barely heard about this in the MSM here in MN.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
SLightly off topic due to who the OP is.

What is with these moles Klobochar and Wetterling planted in their opponents campaign HQs to spy?

I barely heard about this in the MSM here in MN.

That's more or less a total mischaracterization. I assume you're talking about this guy, an overzealous 1-month Wetterling volunteer who sent an e-mail to the Bachmann campaign asking for their campaign strategy (he was fired by Wetterling's staff immediately), and this story, where a Kloubuchar staffer viewed an unreleased Kennedy ad on his secure website after a blogger sent her a link to it (Kloubuchar herself reported this to the FBI, and the staffer resigned). Both stories were widely reported here, and in the interest of fairness I'll observe that I haven't seen much national coverage of the fact that televangelist Mac Hammond illegally endorsed Bachmann (a no-no for a tax-exempt organization) either.

Kloubuchar is so unbeatable in that race that the RNC and DNC have both withdrawn advertising funds, and it looks like Bachmann's craziness (check out the movies at http://michelebachmannmovies.blogspot.com/ - apparently Jesus specifically told her to get an LLM in tax law - I hadn't realize He got so specific with some people) has finally caught up with her as well. Even the conservative Sixth District appears not to want to be represented by a fundamentalist wacko like Bachmann, and Wetterling is up by 8 points as of the last poll. It couldn't have happened to a nicer person - even Bachmann's own brother says he plans to vote for Wetterling. She is one blackhearted bitch IMO.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it looks like a police report, though it is certainly hard to read portions of it.
Here's a better picture of the first page from another source. Is there any part of "J. Hone did touch < name blacked > in a manner that was was not welcome by < name blacked >" you can't read? Didn't your mother warn you, if you didn't stop it you'd go blind? :laugh:
Another left-wing nut site ... Like I said, I'll believe this when the MSM reports it.
Is that the same "MSM" you right wingnuts are always complaining is so highly liberal biased? :confused:

Looks like Pabster is in full Karl Rove denial, duck and dissemble mode. :laugh:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Here's a better pic of the second page. I copied the actual report as well as possible.
Upon my arrival I spoke to both Mr < name blacked > and Mr. P. Linderman. I was conducting an interview with < name blacked >. During the session, < name blacked > advised him, las Thursday, Jay Hone had taken him to Jay's house. While at the house Jay Hone did touch < name blacked > in a way < name blacked > thought was sexual.

I spoke to < name blacked >. He told me Jay Hone is his lawyer. He has him because he has no parent or guardian. He now lives at a group yome, and "Jay looks after my best interests in court," < name blacked > said. That night Jay asked him up and went to his house. They had a pizza and a "movie" to watch.

There was nobody else in the house. Jay's wife was out of town and his son wasn't home. While they were watching the movie < name blacked > said he had to go to the bathroom. Returning back to the livingroom, as he was sitting back down, < name blacked > said, Jay "grabbed" or "touched" his butt. He yelled, Hey" at Jay, "What are you doing?" Jay told him he was just reaching for another slice of pizza. Afterwards nothing else happened. Jay took him back to the group home.

Mr. < name blacked > advised me that Jay Hone does take him to places to eat on a regular basis. Mr. Hone does it to ask how he is doing, as far as getting along with people, Mr. < name blacked > said. He also told me since that night there has been no difference in how Jay treats him. "He's still the same." He told me he does not want Mr. Hone arrested and that he just wanted to talk to somebody about it.
There really isn't anything that incriminating in the report, but the dance around it, trying to discredit it before even bothering to find out what it says is a pretty good indication of how panicked the neocons are. :laugh: