Republican Amway Billionaire's Son Running for Michigan Governorship 6-3-05

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_redlotus

Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by: irwincur
No, the problem is that Granholm can't even come up with a plan for anything. She has effecitvely dismantled the corporate packages that Engler had set up and in essense shut down any type of recruiting. Hell, they made a half hearted attempt to keep K-Mart in the State.

Got any sources to back that up?

Even worse, she refused to proceed on a new highway in West Michigan that was to recieve nearly 75% matching federal funds only to spend twice as much (with no match) to rebuild the Detroit highways - AGAIN.

Last I checked, the M-6 was completed. Outside of that, if your budget is $1 billion in the red, don't you think that maintaining the roads that we have is a bit more important than building new ones?

Kind of funny that the West Side is growing faster, creating more jobs, and creating a better growth environment when we recieve less than 1/10 of state and federal tax monies. The pathetic Detroit area gets almost 2/3 of the State total and almost every Federal dime and it is a pit. I wonder if the Republican West Side is on to something. Getting more done with less than 20% of the income. Can't be, I thought we needed money to fix all of our problems.

Huh. I'm sure that all of the laid-off employees of Steelcase, Electrolux, and Bosch would buy into your rosy picture. :roll: G.R. is a quarter of the size of Detroit and has three rich families donating left and right. On top of that, the area is placing a very large bet on the biotech industry in order to save the city. A gamble that most experts agree is West Michigan cannot hope to win since there is so much competition across the U.S.

Whatever the case, Michigan is teetering on going Red and in my opinion,

Michigan has had a repub governer for how many years before Granholm came into office? Just because a repug governer is elected in a mid-term presidential election doesn't mean that the state will 'go red.'

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: redlotus
No, the problem is that Granholm can't even come up with a plan for anything. She has effecitvely dismantled the corporate packages that Engler had set up and in essense shut down any type of recruiting. Hell, they made a half hearted attempt to keep K-Mart in the State.

Even worse, she refused to proceed on a new highway in West Michigan that was to recieve nearly 75% matching federal funds only to spend twice as much (with no match) to rebuild the Detroit highways - AGAIN.

Last I checked, the M-6 was completed. Outside of that, if your budget is $1 billion in the red, don't you think that maintaining the roads that we have is a bit more important than building new ones?

Kind of funny that the West Side is growing faster, creating more jobs, and creating a better growth environment when we recieve less than 1/10 of state and federal tax monies. The pathetic Detroit area gets almost 2/3 of the State total and almost every Federal dime and it is a pit. I wonder if the Republican West Side is on to something. Getting more done with less than 20% of the income. Can't be, I thought we needed money to fix all of our problems.

Huh. I'm sure that all of the laid-off employees of Steelcase, Electrolux, and Bosch would buy into your rosy picture. :roll: G.R. is a quarter of the size of Detroit and has three rich families donating left and right. On top of that, the area is placing a very large bet on the biotech industry in order to save the city. A gamble that most experts agree is West Michigan cannot hope to win since there is so much competition across the U.S.

Michigan has had a repub governer for how many years before Granholm came into office? Just because a repug governer is elected in a mid-term presidential election doesn't mean that the state will 'go red.'

Thanks for the perspective from your home State.

One point though, a Republican Governor is the start of States turning Red.

Just look at Georgia and Florida for example.

Massachusetts, New York, California are next to go all Red.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: bamacre
Rich Religious Republican

Considering Kerry was the last Democratic presidential nominee, I guess, in your eyes, it is ok for one to be Rich and Religious, just not Republican.

Rich Religious Democrat = :thumbsup:

Rich Religious Republican = :thumbsdown:

Did Kerry claim to be religious and God talks to him like Bush? :confused:

Did Kerry claim to be religious Yes
and God talks to him like Bush? No

Did Dick DeVos claim God talks to him?

ExpertNovice

Mar 4, 2005
So rich billionaire democrats are good but rich billionair republicans are bad.

Why?

I would have thought we should rely on the advice of our (at least mine) founding fathers who wanted the middle class not elitists to represent our nation.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ExpertNovice
So rich billionaire democrats are good but rich billionair republicans are bad.

Why?

I would have thought we should rely on the advice of our (at least mine) founding fathers who wanted the middle class not elitists to represent our nation.

Who said rich billionaire democrats are good???

imported_redlotus

Mar 3, 2005

If the governor's race was happening at the same time as the presidential elections, I would certainly agree with you. However, like I mentioned before, we had a republican governor for twelve years before Granholm came into office. I don't seem to remember Michigan turning red in all those years.

The other thing that everyone has to remember is that Mr. DeVoss hasn't even made it through the primaries yet. There are three other repubs who have also already declared their intentions so far. While I am sure that he'll be able to take the G.R. area without any trouble, I have no idea how the repubs in the rest of the state will vote.

BTW, you're welcome on the perspec.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

If they go red who is too blame?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

If the governor's race was happening at the same time as the presidential elections, I would certainly agree with you.

However, like I mentioned before, we had a republican governor for twelve years before Granholm came into office.

Well crap, there's your problem right there.

* You expect Granholm to fix the mess the Republican Governors made for 12 fvkin years??? :confused:

* I know I know, the Bush Fan Bois will come running in saying Clinton made the mess the Country is in now, only problem with that is that the Country was not a mess with Clinton in Office. Bush made the mess after Clinton was out.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Granholm has done nothing for this State. She is corrupt (under more than one FBI investigation), she has no clue, and she has no solutions.

I for one believe that Dick would be an excellent candidate. It is about time that someone from outside of the political pit of corruption otherwise known as Detroit runs for governor. West Michigan has been a success over the past two decades because of the values that he will be bringing to the table. If you ask me, Grnaholm has no chance now - and that is the way it should be. She is running Michigan into the ground.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm had a 52 percent positive and 47 percent negative rating
Her negatives are running very high but she is still above 50% positive. Didn't really think she was in trouble but apparently she is. Anyway, we don't know how the son of the Amway guy will fare in a campaign except that he has money i.e. more like Coors or more like Corzine?
Also, Sen. Stabenow in 2006 is also on the ballot and her positive/negatives are way better than Granholm's. This may be the case that the Senate race may help Granholm if Stabenow does very well against her Republican challenger.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Originally posted by: Genx87
Isnt it funny the left portrays intolerance as a religious right issue?

Not at all. As a group, protestant evangelicals / fundamentalists tend to be backwards and intolerant. You just have to look at this board for examples. So no, it isn't funny. It makes sense.

As a group, radical lefties tend to be bigoted and hateful. You just have to look at this message for examples. It makes sense.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Crimson
As a group, radical lefties tend to be bigoted and hateful. You just have to look at this message for examples. It makes sense.

Nice try "That's it I'm out" . Generally, the only people that liberals don't tolerate are intolerant people.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Did Dick DeVos claim God talks to him?

Only up until he was traded to the Lakers . . . He's with Miami now.

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
West Michigan has been a success over the past two decades because of the values that he will be bringing to the table.

you are out of your mind if you think west michigan is not as corrupt as detroit, from when i was 10 to when i was 18 i lived in grand haven. you have the upper middle class (all white) and the poor (blacks from muskegon) who come in and work the factories for the white owners, on top of this you have all the hispanics that live in holland working the fields for all the farmers (that are all white aswell), or they work for zelinka nursery. on top of this there are no unions what so ever, so the blacks and hispanics have little or no health insurance, no dental, and barely scrape by at 7.50 an hour

oh yeah and my best friend worked at donelly for a summer and he found out lots of dirt, like firing temp workers after 6months to they don't have to pay them $14 per hour +benefits , essentially they pad the temp agencies pockets with the 6.50 per hour that normally hired workers get payed, so instead of the workers getting it, it goes to, you bet, the white guy running the temp agency

get a life, west michigan is all about the race to the bottom, thats why ford and gm farm out work to the companies out there

granholm has done a better job them engler did, especially with engler's little stunt he pulled in the 2000 election, where he awarded the state in the pub primaries to bush even though McCain won it

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
What is funny about Michigan is that some of the highest concentrations of welfare are in the upper peninsula which is "Bush country". LOL. What a bunch of fools. For anyone that hasn't been to Michigan, SE Michigan is the whole state. The other parts of the state are like Mayberry. Thank god I live in the tri-county area.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
What is funny about Michigan is that some of the highest concentrations of welfare are in the upper peninsula which is "Bush country". LOL. What a bunch of fools. For anyone that hasn't been to Michigan, SE Michigan is the whole state. The other parts of the state are like Mayberry. Thank god I live in the tri-county area.

Agree wholeheartedly. I enjoyed reading this thread about Michigan from people who have no clue about Michigan or it's landscape. Granholm is a shoe in if she runs again. Period. Not because she has done a great job, she hasn't. But because she speaks well and looks good in front of the camera. Not to mention there is not one prominent Rep to run against her. Amway is certainly not going to win if he runs. Go Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb! ;) The rest of the state can suck it.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
Bah, no love for Ingham. :( West Michigan doesn't start til you get west of 496!
Seriously, though, these posts by people who don't live in Michigan are indeed amusing.

Dannybin's scathing indictments of holier-than-thou West Michiganders are pretty much spot on. Someone else posted the economy of West Michigan is doing fine - of course it is, it's built on the broken backs of hispanics and blacks. Then again, the Dutch have a fine history of religion-justified racist exploitation, heh.

Of course, the economy of Michigan is inextricably tied to GM & Ford, which aren't doing too well at the moment, primarily because of the UAW, which is bleeding them dry. I don't advocate thinly-veiled slave labor, but 90% of your regular pay for months or years on end while you're laid off and unbelievable pensions are killing the automakers. That said, there have been some pretty poor strategic decisions at the top of those corporations as well, so the UAW isn't entirely to blame.

This should be pretty clear from the trend over the past 20 or so years: the automakers fell on hard times in the 80s, thus then Gov. Blanchard had a difficult time keeping the state solvent. The national economy & the automakers did much better in the 90s, hence, then Gov. Engler was elected three times in a row. I'm too young to remember much of Blanchard's time in office, but I know he was blamed for much of the state's economic woes, which lead to his defeat in 1990; Engler did a good job of getting the state on the right track in the early 90s by making sound economic decisions (even if they included cuts to parts of the budget I don't like to see cut) - Michigan's economy was on the rebound before that of the national economy.

I think Michigan is in a good position to become a biotech player, considering we have two of the nation's best research universities (U of M & MSU) that have both recently completed $100+ million biology research facilities, and that much of the commercial and industrial infrastructure is already in place in SE Michigan. Unfortunately, the business climate in much of Michigan, especially West Michigan, is too conservative to fund riskier business ventures. That's why the State needs to step in. Engler started on this road in the mid 90s, and Granholm's followed it, even expanding it into alternative fuel research. GM has been criticized for skipping the hybrid engine step, instead focusing on hydrogen fuel cell technology. Funding from the State could certainly help it roll out working fuel cell cars within the next decade.

Simultaneously trying to shore up the automakers and promoting growth in other sectors isn't easy when your State economy basically sucks, and getting your State economy back on track isn't easy when the Federal economy isn't much better and we're dumping $100s of billions into a mismanaged war on terror. Somehow I doubt a different Governor would do any better.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Crimson
dmcowen674 on Republicans: "Republicans will have "none of that Monkey to Man stuff" and don't believe in Science."
dmcowen674 on whales: "They are mammals just like us, they just breathe water instead of air."

What kind of science is the left following these days?

:cool: Cool, first Skoorb and now Crimmy give me endorsement to be President. :thumbsup:

My fast typing slips make me even more qualified than W according to them.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
Gigantopithecus:

my dad's mom lives in lansing and she was telling me that they were closing the car plan thats near the river near MLK blvd(off the top of my head i can't remember if its ford or gm, i just know alot of her neighbors are workers there). that plant employ lots of people, i wonder whats gonna happen to the city without that plant, my dad has also talked to some people there too and they have confirmed that the plant will most likely be shut down, that mean X thousands without work, mostly minorities (lansing is heavily african american).

an another note, after living in west michigan for half my life, i much prefer living here in iowa, politics are more middle of the road, people in general i think are nicer and more willing to help others. but there are some simliarities between the two cities, in GH and holland, there appeared to be al ot of back scratching and hand holding between the well off and the city board members, especially when property was involved and zoning, you see the same thing here in ames IA, the iowa state foundation which likes to buy up property from the city and iowa state at bids lower than what individuals and businesses have bought, as well as zoning issues, its really disheartening to see this happen. the good thing about ames though is its a college town so there is a very large population of well educated people who (tend to be democrat) stand up to this crap and protest when it happens, and have actually gotten reversals on zoning permits and undercut bidding on property, i think the greatest example was back in the early 90s (i wasnt living here yet)

UM has awesome pharm/biochem research facilities, phizer has invested heavily in it ($200M+ ?) from what i've heard the economy of AA is pretty good, what would you say Gigantopithecus?