Repub gov Hogan (MD) shreds Repub gov DeSantis (FL) on his Martha Vineyard immigration stunt: Why Not Fix the Problem Rather Than Trying to Get on TV?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

“When you, after Governor Abbott was doing it in Texas, he went to Texas and basically, you know, grabbed 50 people and sent them to Martha’s Vineyard as a publicity stunt,” Hogan added, noting that DeSantis had copied the tactic from Abbott.

“And I think it was a terrible idea. Let’s just, you know, try to address the issue seriously and fix the problem rather than trying to get on TV. It’s back to what I was saying earlier about the performative politics. It’s not a serious discussion. It’s not a good solution,” Hogan concluded.

Hogan, like Abbott and DeSantis, are rumored to run for Pres in 2024.
If so, Hogan is trying to set himself apart from other Repubs by NOT being a MAGA idiot.

I think he's been a good Gov for MD. (He cant run for a 3rd time because term limits)

i expect more Hogan attacks on MAGA zealots, especially if he announces.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

“When you, after Governor Abbott was doing it in Texas, he went to Texas and basically, you know, grabbed 50 people and sent them to Martha’s Vineyard as a publicity stunt,” Hogan added, noting that DeSantis had copied the tactic from Abbott.

“And I think it was a terrible idea. Let’s just, you know, try to address the issue seriously and fix the problem rather than trying to get on TV. It’s back to what I was saying earlier about the performative politics. It’s not a serious discussion. It’s not a good solution,” Hogan concluded.

If so, Hogan is trying to set himself apart from other Repubs by NOT being a MAGA idiot.

I think he's been a good Gov for MD. (He cant run for a 3rd time because term limits)

It's great to hear a reasonable republican like him. Problem is he would get crushed in any primary for the presidency. Only a few percent of the GQP are able to say this kind of stuff because the rest have sold their souls to MAGA.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

How would we fix the problem when Democrats refuse to back the existing immigration laws? How about acknowledging simple facts about the uncontrolled flow of illegal aliens is not a net positive for any country.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's great to hear a reasonable republican like him. Problem is he would get crushed in any primary for the presidency. Only a few percent of the GQP are able to say this kind of stuff because the rest have sold their souls to MAGA.

yea, that’s why he can be a state level position, and won’t go national. Just not crazy enough for the GOP

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How would we fix the problem when Democrats refuse to back the existing immigration laws? How about acknowledging simple facts about the uncontrolled flow of illegal aliens is not a net positive for any country.

There is no uncontrolled flow you brain-addled spanner.

Reactions: Pens1566

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001