Representative Trey Radel (R-FL) arrested and charged with cocaine possession in DC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Hyperbole. Most people, ANYWHERE, do NOT go to jail for simple possession marijuana.

Almost no one goes to jail for simple possession of marijuana or any other drug(except PCP) in Washington D.C.

depends on what you consider simple possession. If I possess ounces of marijuana, doesn't that automatically mean I intend to distribute? No, but prosecutors won't care. Possess even a joint in a school zone...good luck with that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Hyperbole. Most people, ANYWHERE, do NOT go to jail for simple possession marijuana.

Almost no one goes to jail for simple possession of marijuana or any other drug(except PCP) in Washington D.C.

Hyperbole my ass. There have been articles on disproportinate sentancing just for pot between blacks and whites. I'll see if I can find it.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Considering his place as an elected official, I fully support him being prosecuted to fullest extent of any law we have regarding this. What's good for the gander, should also be good for the goose.

He already is? More or less.

So you want to have him charged under federal law when he is already serving the maximum sentence he'd get under the federal law? Just so they can collect $1000 fine? You want to waste tens of thousands so he could have a concurring 1 year federal probation sentence and a $1000 fine?

Public embarrassment, shame and eventual resignation are the real punishments here.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Hyperbole my ass. There have been articles on disproportinate sentancing just for pot between blacks and whites. I'll see if I can find it.

Yes there is disproportionate sentencing, however that still doesn't mean that most who get charged with simple possession do NOT serve jail time.

And it doesn't change the fact that, you are wrong in your statement. Very few people go to jail in DC over any possession.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He already is? More or less.

So you want to have him charged under federal law when he is already serving the maximum sentence he'd get under the federal law? Just so they can collect $1000 fine? You want to waste tens of thousands so he could have a concurring 1 year federal probation sentence and a $1000 fine?

Public embarrassment, shame and eventual resignation are the real punishments here.

any person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction may be imprisoned for not more than 180 days, fined not more than $1,000, or both.

which one is he getting. is he going to jail for 180 days? or paying the fine? or both?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
depends on what you consider simple possession. If I possess ounces of marijuana, doesn't that automatically mean I intend to distribute? No, but prosecutors won't care. Possess even a joint in a school zone...good luck with that.

Depends on state law. Under federal law, intent to distribute requires much more than ounces. Under DC law, there is no specific weight standard.

And yah no shit dipshit, any drug crime in a school zone has increased penalties.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
People in this thread thinking hes getting special treatment have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Depends on state law. Under federal law, intent to distribute requires much more than ounces. Under DC law, there is no specific weight standard.

And yah no shit dipshit, any drug crime in a school zone has increased penalties.

easy there, you can't discuss without name calling?

So sorry that I have a differing opinion :rolleyes:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/20/politics/congressman-cocaine-possession/

The plea and sentence were part of a deal that Radel's attorney struck with federal prosecutors. He could have received a maximum sentence of 180 days imprisonment or a $1,000 fine, or both. Instead, he was placed on one year probation, and if it is "successfully completed," his guilty plea will be cleared from his record.

Oh, after probation his guilty plea will be cleared? Awesome.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
easy there, you can't discuss without name calling?

So sorry that I have a differing opinion :rolleyes:

Nothing you said, disproves what I said, that the OVERWHELMING majority who get charged with simple possession for marijuana DO NOT serve jail time. Do some? Yes, do most. Hell no.

Its irrelevant if a small number of states define simple possession of less than half an ounce. Because if you have more than half a ounce in those states its not simple possession anymore.

There are ~750k people arrested for simple possession of marijuana a year. Only a very tiny fraction of those 750k serve jail time beyond the time spent in there during initial arrest.

As for distribution, the number of those arrested is around 100k. Most serve jail time, and the overwhelming majority of those are dealing in hundreds of kilos not a couple ounces.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Its irrelevant if a small number of states define simple possession of less than half an ounce. Because if you have more than half a ounce, its not simple possession anymore.

This depends on the state. What do you consider more than 1/2 oz as? Automatic distribution?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The law does not treat public officials any different unless it is for corruption.

Answer the question. You're not telling me anything I don't know.

So how many are elected officials?

and does the guilty plea get erased for all those other cases after probation is successfully completed?

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Answer the question. You're not telling me anything I don't know.

So how many are elected officials?

and does the guilty plea get erased for all those other cases after probation is successfully completed?

Most of the time? Yes, so long as it is a first offense.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
This depends on the state. What do you consider more than 1/2 oz as? Automatic distribution?

WTF do you think I just said? Yeah it depends on the state, and yes there are some states that make it distribution at as little as 1/2oz. They are few and far between these days. Distribution is what ever the state says it is.

Its all hyperbole because again, very few people go to jail for simple possession and there are very few(in relation to overall people arrested) distribution cases are like your scenario.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
WTF do you think I just said? Yeah it depends on the state, and yes there are some states that make it distribution at as little as 1/2oz. They are few and far between these days. Distribution is what ever the state says it is.

Its all hyperbole because again, very few people go to jail for simple possession and there are very few(in relation to overall people arrested) distribution cases are like your scenario.

So, again, do you believe more than 1/2 oz is automatic distribution? Maybe you need to partake and relax a little bit. You seem angry about something.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Statistics are misleading.......

While someone may be sentenced to probation and not jail initially, it doesn't mean that they don't violate probation. Or are unable to get a job and we all know what no income leads to.....

I went to county jail not for my DUI as a youngster, but for violating the probation afterwards. I don't deserve any pity, as DUI is a serious crime and we all know the risks. But getting put into the system for possession? Wasted money, wasted lives.

The Drug War is a complete failure, and it has completely ravaged Mexico and the US inner city.

Legalization like CO and WA, or decriminalization + MMJ like here in CA are the only answers. As more and more venture capital get put into the MJ industry, things like pot-breathalyzers will help hold users accountable the same as alcohol users. Drive impaired or provide to minors? Jail + shaming.

Last edited: