Report on Iraq WMD shelved as no evidence found by US-UK team

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yes and we will conveniently have to wait until the world forgets about this. This 'waiting game' is a farce to keep oppostion at bay. And the sad part is the administration can get away with stuff like this. What can we do now, oppose going to war with Iraq? Oops too late

That may indeed happen, that being Bush gradually shuffling the WMD search to an ever-further backburner, in which case I shall join the ranks of those howling foulplay. Saddam had a long time to hide them, and I think we can all agree the search is not the easiest of tasks. Again, given the sadistic fvcktard in question (Saddam) I'm willing to give our guys the benefit of a doubt.

Why did the Bush administration draw a conclution befor the UN inspections were over?

The administration drew a deadline. Two, in fact, if you count the one for Saddam to get the hell out of dodge. Power hungry tyrants generally do not allow their adversaries such luxuries, they just move in and annihilate the opposition and to hell with anyone who has a problem with it. I have no problem with inspections being abandoned as it was a futile gesture as long as Saddam's people were actively working against the UNs efforts. Kudos to Bush for not being pacified by the same farce that managed to occupy the UN for so long. It's just too bad it took someone as lame as Dubya to enforce what the UN should have done itself, long ago.

Now that they rushed in all the other problems you mention are of their own making.

It comes with the job of overthrowing a regime like that in that part of the world. Have you really been surprised there's been resistance? Same thing happened in Germany I believe... speaking of....how long were we there? 3 years? 4 years? And how long have we been in Iraq?

And I just have to add:

Ooooo, I suppose that puts me in my place huh? This coming from a guy who honestly thinks the Iraqis would be better off still under Saddam no less... go piss up a tree, moron. I think I hear GuyDebord calling you....

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: kage69
Yes and we will conveniently have to wait until the world forgets about this. This 'waiting game' is a farce to keep oppostion at bay. And the sad part is the administration can get away with stuff like this. What can we do now, oppose going to war with Iraq? Oops too late

That may indeed happen, that being Bush gradually shuffling the WMD search to an ever-further backburner, in which case I shall join the ranks of those howling foulplay. Saddam had a long time to hide them, and I think we can all agree the search is not the easiest of tasks. Again, given the sadistic fvcktard in question (Saddam) I'm willing to give our guys the benefit of a doubt.

Why did the Bush administration draw a conclution befor the UN inspections were over?

The administration drew a deadline. Two, in fact, if you count the one for Saddam to get the hell out of dodge. Power hungry tyrants generally do not allow their adversaries such luxuries, they just move in and annihilate the opposition and to hell with anyone who has a problem with it. I have no problem with inspections being abandoned as it was a futile gesture as long as Saddam's people were actively working against the UNs efforts. Kudos to Bush for not being pacified by the same farce that managed to occupy the UN for so long. It's just too bad it took someone as lame as Dubya to enforce what the UN should have done itself, long ago.

Now that they rushed in all the other problems you mention are of their own making.

It comes with the job of overthrowing a regime like that in that part of the world. Have you really been surprised there's been resistance? Same thing happened in Germany I believe... speaking of....how long were we there? 3 years? 4 years? And how long have we been in Iraq?

And I just have to add:

Ooooo, I suppose that puts me in my place huh? This coming from a guy who honestly thinks the Iraqis would be better off still under Saddam no less... go piss up a tree, moron. I think I hear GuyDebord calling you....

Thank you for illustrating for everyone with your infantile rant just how painful it is for you and all the other gullible idiots who support the Bush administration to hear the words, "WE TOLD YOU SO!". :)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Infantile?? LOL C'mon, you can do better than that. I expect more BOOB!

That's right, draw attention away from your selective detachment from reality... I didn't think there was such a thing as a Saddam Apologist, but I guess you proved me wrong. YASA?

Good to see you're keeping with your theme in comebacks though, it explains the 'fanclub' you got going...

:D

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
tim following up boob with another 'true that!'

lol, omg you guys are just killin me! ;)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: minibush1
Report on Iraq WMD shelved as no evidence found by US-UK team

London,Sunday, September 14, 2003: After failing to get any evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the US and Britain have decided to delay indefinitely the publication of a full report on the controversial issue, media reported today.

Efforts by the Iraq Survey Group, an Anglo-American team of 1,400 scientists, military and intelligence experts, to scour Iraq for the past four months to uncover evidence of chemical or biological weapons have so far ended in failure, 'The Sunday Times' claimed in its report.
It had been expected that a progress report would be published tomorrow but MPs on the British Parliament's security and intelligence committee have been told that even this has been delayed and no new date set.
British defence intelligence sources have confirmed that the final report, which is to be submitted by David Kay, the survey group's leader, to George Tenet, head of the CIA, had been delayed and may not necessarily even be published, the paper said.
In July, Kay suggested on US television that he had seen enough evidence to convince himself that ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had had a programme to produce weapons of mass destruction.
He expected to find "strong" evidence of missile delivery systems and "probably" evidence of biological weapons.
But last week British officials said they believed Kay had been "kite-flying" and that no hard evidence had been uncovered.
The hunt for weapons is seen in London and Washington as a vital step in convincing an increasingly sceptical public that the war was justified.
(PTI)
15:40 IST

Did anyone ever see anything more re. this? Did it ever show up in more mainstream media?

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
Update:
No Solid Evidence in Draft on Iraq Arms Search, ABC Reports
Mon September 15, 2003 10:28 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A draft report on the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq provides no solid evidence that Iraq had such arms when the United States invaded the country in March, ABC News reported on Monday.
Citing unidentified officials, ABC said the report by the civilian leading the search for hidden weapons will detail Iraq's effort to maintain the capability to produce biological, chemical or nuclear weapons.

Before ordering the invasion that toppled Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, President Bush referred to an imminent threat posed by Iraqi weapons of mass destruction as a prime justification for war.

U.S. forces in Iraq searching for evidence of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons have not found any. But U.S. officials said in July that the search had uncovered documents pointing to a program to develop such weapons.

The Iraq Survey Group, headed by Maj. Gen. Keith Dayton of the Defense Intelligence Agency, has led the search since June, with guidance from former U.N. weapons inspector David Kay.

A U.S. intelligence official said Kay's report on the search was not finished and the ABC report was mere speculation.

A senior Pentagon official said Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had stressed that Kay was expected to provide an interim report in the coming weeks, but the official was not aware of the receipt of any initial report.

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
Sept. 23 Update:
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20030923_1949.html">Officials to Hear Report on Iraq WMD Hunt
</a>
U.S. Officials to Hear Results of the Hunt for Iraq's Suspected Weapons of Mass Destruction
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON Sept. 23 ? The man in charge of the hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq is briefing senior intelligence officials in Washington this week but the public may not be told of his findings right away.
CIA adviser David Kay is expected to complete his progress report to agency Director George J. Tenet soon, U.S. officials said.

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice suggested there are no plans to release Kay's findings immediately. There had been expectations in Washington that the report would come out this month.
Secretary of State Colin Powell said early that Kay "will be putting out a report in the very near future, and I look forward to seeing it, as everyone else does. From what I have heard, he has assembled a great deal of useful information."

Officials would not comment on what Kay has found. The Bush administration has not revealed any discoveries that validate the bulk of its prewar assertions about Iraq's weapons programs, and the findings it has talked about so far have been challenged.

This had led critics to suggest the administration's case for war was faulty or exaggerated.

After a summer visit to Iraq, Republican senators said U.S. searchers had uncovered solid evidence of weapons programs. But Democrats on the same trip said the evidence was not definitive. No one provided details.

In August, Kay suggested a breakthrough was close but added the U.S. government would proceed slowly before going public with any discoveries, to make sure its analysis was sound.

Some Pentagon officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, have said that weapons hunters have found what they interpret as evidence of Iraqi preparations to secretly produce chemical and biological weapons.

The evidence of Iraqi preparations that the teams have found so far points to plans for weapons production that was to take place primarily at "dual-use" manufacturing facilities inside Iraq, the U.S. officials said.

These are buildings with an overt, legitimate purpose, such as making pesticides or pharmaceuticals, but their equipment also can be used to make weapons.

The officials did not know whether searchers had found any evidence that weapons production had taken place at these sites.

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: minibush1
Update:
No Solid Evidence in Draft on Iraq Arms Search, ABC Reports
Mon September 15, 2003 10:28 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A draft report on the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq provides no solid evidence that Iraq had such arms when the United States invaded the country in March, ABC News reported on Monday.
Citing unidentified officials, ABC said the report by the civilian leading the search for hidden weapons will detail Iraq's effort to maintain the capability to produce biological, chemical or nuclear weapons.

Before ordering the invasion that toppled Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, President Bush referred to an imminent threat posed by Iraqi weapons of mass destruction as a prime justification for war.

U.S. forces in Iraq searching for evidence of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons have not found any. But U.S. officials said in July that the search had uncovered documents pointing to a program to develop such weapons.

The Iraq Survey Group, headed by Maj. Gen. Keith Dayton of the Defense Intelligence Agency, has led the search since June, with guidance from former U.N. weapons inspector David Kay.

A U.S. intelligence official said Kay's report on the search was not finished and the ABC report was mere speculation.

A senior Pentagon official said Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had stressed that Kay was expected to provide an interim report in the coming weeks, but the official was not aware of the receipt of any initial report.

Uhoh is Bushie in trouble?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Yeah, I guess that "big surprise" we were told was coming in mid-September is pretty much a no-show. All I hear are the sounds of tumbleweeds rolling across the White House lawn. Shhhhh, it's so very quiet.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Yeah, I guess that "big surprise" we were told was coming in mid-September is pretty much a no-show. All I hear are the sounds of tumbleweeds rolling across the White House lawn. Shhhhh, it's so very quiet.

Well, just because the progress report may not be released to the public doesn't mean that is was a no-show. The full/final report could still be months off as Kay indicated here. ;)

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Well, just because the progress report may not be released to the public doesn't mean that is was a no-show. The full/final report could still be months off as Kay indicated here. ;)

We were told we were getting a surprise in mid-September. The whole administration was chirping about it. I want my surprise, dammit!!!! ;)

Oh, I'm sure it will be redacted or kept completely away from the public in the interests of "national security."

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
well this is getting to be real comedic routine now, all this talk and hype by Bush's Regime and then it all *POOFS* into thin-air.

i hope the turkeys are in the oven by thanksgiving!

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I would have accepted any findings reported on. But with all of the 'you'll get the report in mid-Sept...no wait, you'll get it later, MAYBE' plus the fact that this Kay guy is a liar...saying earlier that he had already found solid evidence, but then later admitting to not finding it at all ('kite-flying' is what they accused him of...whatever that is), I may not accept any report with Kay's signature on it.

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
Sept. 24 UPDATE:
No WMD in Iraq, source claims
No weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq by the group looking for them, according to a Bush administration source who has spoken to the BBC.
This will be the conclusion of the Iraq Survey Group's interim report, the source told the presenter of BBC television's Daily Politics show, Andrew Neil.

Downing Street branded the story "speculation about an unfinished draft of an interim report".

Mr Neil said the draft report - which the source said is due to be published next month - concludes that it is highly unlikely that weapons of mass destruction were shipped out of the country to places like Syria before the US-led war on Iraq.
It will also say that Saddam Hussein mounted a huge programme to deceive and hinder the work of United Nations weapons inspectors, he said.

Mr Neil said that according to the source, the report will say its inspectors have not even unearthed "minute amounts of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons material".

They have also not uncovered any laboratories involved in deploying weapons of mass destruction and no delivery systems for the weapons.
But, Mr Neil added, the report would publish computer programmes, files, pictures and paperwork which it says shows that Saddam Hussein's regime was attempting to develop a weapons of mass destruction programme.

CIA spokesman Bill Harlow told the Reuters news agency he expected the report would "reach no firm conclusions, nor will it rule anything in or out".

Reuters also quoted a senior US official as saying the Iraq Survey Group (ISG) was expected to report finding "documentary evidence" that Iraq had chemical and biological weapons programmes.

"Whether they will find or disclose anything on the weapons themselves, I doubt," said the official.

'Savage blow'

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said: "This is speculation on an as yet unpublished report.

"I await the report eagerly from Mr Kay (head of the survey group), as does the international community."

Mr Straw argued that the whole international community had agreed Iraq's weapons programmes had posed - the issue had been what to do about it.
People did not need the ISG report for evidence of that threat, he said. It was already shown in volumes of reports from UN inspectors.

A Number 10 spokesman said "we don't have this text", but asked if the prime minister had seem the report, remarked: "We are not going into details of process."

Mr Neil, a former editor of the Sunday Times, stressed he had not seen the draft report, and was reporting what a single source had said its findings were likely to be.

He said the report was still to be finalised and could undergo some changes, but the source had been told the content of some key passages which were not expected to be substantively altered.

Former Conservative cabinet minister Michael Portillo said if these details of the report were true, it would be a "savage blow" to the prime minister.

'Fake facilities'

The inspectors have uncovered no evidence that any weapons were actually built in the immediate years before the war, the leak of the report suggests.

It is alleged that Saddam Hussein's programme of deception involved fake facilities and infrastructure to deceive and hinder the work of UN weapons inspectors.

Documents have been uncovered showing weapons facilities were concealed as commercial buildings, the report is likely to say.

The ISG took over the job of finding WMD from the US military in June.

The survey group, led by David Kay, a former UN weapons inspector and now a special adviser to the CIA, is a largely US operation, although it includes some British and Australian staff.

Its 1,400 personnel are made up of scientists, military and intelligence experts, and its work is shrouded in secrecy.

Its focus is intelligence, using documents and interviews with Iraqi scientists to build up a picture of the secret world of Iraq's weapons programmes.

The survey group has been under pressure to prove the Bush administration's case that Iraq's weapons posed a significant threat.

Gary Samor, of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, recently told the BBC that UN inspection teams should have been sent back into Iraq as there would be much scepticism about the ISG's findings.