Replaying HL2: it's just damn fun in a way few new games are imho, & still looks good

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I'd call HL2 an RPG because it does such a fantastic job of engrossing you,

Technically your playing the role of a character, so it could be called a role playing game. But, by the standards set by other games, HL2 is not an RPG - there are no character levels, and there are no skill points, extra skills to learn.

My opinion, HL2 is one of the best single player games to be released in the past 10 years. The graphics engine was released at just the right time to offer people something besides the Unreal engine, and replaced the old Quake 1 & Quake II engines with something new. Not that half-life used the quake II engine, but a lot of other games did.

If you list all of the outstanding first persons shooters of the past 10 years, HL2 has to be somewhere in the top of the list.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
I don’t replay games anymore these days because they rarely feel worth it. Half-life 2 is one game I have replayed several times. I’m actually waiting (still waiting) for Project: Black Mesa to be done so I can do a full Gordon Freeman adventure (half-life, HL2, Ep1, Ep2). Still probably the most fun I’ve had gaming.

Weapons felt a little weak compared with half-life but I prefer the gravity gun anyway.

Gravity gun + Round, serrated blades = . . .

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I don't know why people wish for a updated engine. The game still holds its own to modern games in graphics..and most certainly gameplay which is the most important.
I love the game in its current state, but it wouldn't hurt at all if it got better textures (not that Fake Factory crap though, that's not Half-Life) and other enhancements.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I just played through HL2 episodes 1&2 with the fakefactory mod... AMAZING!

I've played HL2 years ago on my geforce 5900 and had mad fun with it. Playing through the episodes reminds me of how awesome half life is. I've played way too many boring FPS games lately.

Oh and 4x super sampling AA looks amazing with fakefactory :)
Alyx's nip slip leather outfit is so hawt

It's amazing that half-life2's engine, despite being 6.5 yrs old. I mean that's about how far HL1 is from HL2. And today's latest games graphics doesn't seem anywhere near the level of HL1 vs HL2.

Last edited:

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I reinstalled it not to long ago but I haven't been playing it much since I did. I really wish they would release the Black Mesa mod, I'd really like to play the original Half-Life with the Source engine.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Some of you may not even be aware this is possible, but i have to ask. How many of you take Dogs 'Ball' into Ravenholm with you? I always do and i try to see how far i can get through the game with it by my side. It's hilarious to see it fighting with Zombies and Headcrabs!
Installing just because of this. I'm going to grab that soda can that the combine soldier makes you throw in the trash and see how far I can run with it.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
You know what's weird, I never did like playing Half Life 2. I don't know what it was, but the game never appealed to me. That said, I certainly do know and agree that it's a good game and one of the better singleplayer shooters to ever be released, but I personally just couldn't get into it.

Valve haters can like leave.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
Technically your playing the role of a character, so it could be called a role playing game. But, by the standards set by other games, HL2 is not an RPG - there are no character levels, and there are no skill points, extra skills to learn.

My opinion, HL2 is one of the best single player games to be released in the past 10 years. The graphics engine was released at just the right time to offer people something besides the Unreal engine, and replaced the old Quake 1 & Quake II engines with something new. Not that half-life used the quake II engine, but a lot of other games did.

If you list all of the outstanding first persons shooters of the past 10 years, HL2 has to be somewhere in the top of the list.

I believe HL1 used some sort of quake engine. It was GOLDSRC and it was based on it.

May 19, 2011
My only grouse with HL2 is that like in Crysis and FEAR you cannot 'see' your legs. I wish they could've included that. Also when you flip a switch or pick up something, it just hangs there in mid air. I would've liked to see my hands holding up items rather than they be hanging in mid air. And yeah the guns could do with a bit of overhauling.. Otherwise I love the series to death. I loved portal as well, especially the background story and the mysteriousness around the 'G-Man'.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
HL2 is one of those games that I love in some ways and hate in others.

I think it's a fantastic game, but not one I enjoy playing for the FPS aspect.

Compared to more modern FPS's, the gunplay/mechanics lack a lot....but hey, I realize when it was made and what the standards were back then, so that really isn't the point. It's just something I hope they take into consideration for the next episode.

I didn't really find the game all that immersive - but that is simply a matter of personality....we're not all the same - which is a good thing. I feel far more immersed in games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033. It's just personal taste. I'm really into player / shooting mechanics, so I'm naturally drawn to games that take that seriously (an element IMO Crysis set a standard for that still hasn't been topped).

I don't want to sound like I'm down on the game or anything, because I love it, it's just I don't see it through rose-colored glasses. I believe, for my tastes, there could be a lot of improvement made to the next game, and I can't wait to get my fingers on the next episode when (hopefully) it finally becomes available.

HL2's strongest elements - art direction, intelligence, and wit. A lot of developers can learn valuable lessons from it.

Last edited:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Some of you may not even be aware this is possible, but i have to ask. How many of you take Dogs 'Ball' into Ravenholm with you? I always do and i try to see how far i can get through the game with it by my side. It's hilarious to see it fighting with Zombies and Headcrabs!

In spite of all of the frustration that unlocking the Rocket Man achievement caused, I am absolutely going to try this next time -- thanks for the hint...

Ancient, but still funny: http://www.hlcomic.com

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Playing it through again since I picked up ep1 and ep2 from steam for $4.

It feels so weird to not be able to aim down the sights, and to be able to carry more than 2 weapons. =P

I played through it once when it first came out, and it just wasn't a satisfying experience for me. A big part of that was because of how the weapons behaved and sounded. The puzzles as well--don't get me wrong, they were well designed, its just that spending 5 minutes to figure out how to get up on a ledge that you can look over just doesn't give that sense of accomplishment.

To me, HL2 feels like going out to a fancy restaurant and ordering a delicacy. Yes, it looks and taste great; but its not that filling.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
HL2 is great, the story although very vague to me still has more depth than usual for an fps game. However compared to Half life it didnt have enough eerie bizzare enviornment like in HL1 because the amount of variety in creatures were heavily reduced. That made HL2 feel a bit tedious.

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
I agree. Alyx's appearance by Valve was great. She's not supposed to be the archetypal video game bimbo, but Fakefactory decided to make her into one.
FakeFactory didn't go far enough in my opinion. Where's her little denim miniskirt and thigh-high boots?