Replaying HL2: it's just damn fun in a way few new games are imho, & still looks good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I agree. Alyx's appearance by Valve was great. She's not supposed to be the archetypal video game bimbo, but Fakefactory decided to make her into one.

Screw FakeFactory.

It's optional, or you can overwrite the files and get the original Alyx, while keeping the rest of FakeFactory's work which in my opinion is unequaled, and I have the strange feeling that whatever Valve comes up with for Half-Life 3 (or Episode Three) FF's Cinematic Mod will still look better.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I still get annoyed when I think of HL2. Thanks for the unfinished story Gabe and no announcement of any timetable of a finish date or anything.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
It's optional, or you can overwrite the files and get the original Alyx, while keeping the rest of FakeFactory's work which in my opinion is unequaled, and I have the strange feeling that whatever Valve comes up with for Half-Life 3 (or Episode Three) FF's Cinematic Mod will still look better.

Unless something's changed it includes a config tool you can use to choose between a dozen or so variations of Alyx.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Besides all the creativity and great movie aspects its the physics that are the glue that holds the game together for me and distinguish it from other corridor shooters. The whole idea of the gravity gun came up as a way to insure you didn't get stuck behind all that stuff flying around and unable to get to the next level. There's only so much they can do to improve on that, but it can certainly be done.

Being able to punch holes in some walls and occasionally blow up entire houses into a million pieces are certainly possible. Cross country racing where your wheels struggle with mud and rocks, throwing crap everywhere. Things like that could add a lot to the game, but would only be compatible with the next generation consoles and even stronger PCs. Still, no reason somebody can't start working on it soon. Anyway, that would require it resemble something more like an action film then its humble corridor shooter roots.

Last edited:

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
While it improves the look of the game a lot, it detracts a lot from Valve's vision IMO. Alyx looks totally hott and while I really enjoyed her sheer blouse and bounciness, I'd rather play the original.

Fixed.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
I own HL2 and both Episodes since Orange Box came out. Have not played it yet.

I have the feeling I'm missing out on something great. When I get more time I will definitely play HL2.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
You know, I don't really like the HL2 series all that much. It's not that it's a bad game, because I can remember enjoying it during my first playthrough. I think it's that every time I consider playing it again instead of the numerous good moments it (probably) had, all I can remember of it is the boring as #$@% airboat and railcar levels. Couple that with the extremely slow and drawn out pre-action beginning and it's hard commit yourself to push through to the good parts. The original Half-Life suffered from this as well, I always dreaded sitting through the nonskippable intro/tram ride and initial parts of the game. Not that they weren't great the first time you experienced them.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
You know, I don't really like the HL2 series all that much. It's not that it's a bad game, because I can remember enjoying it during my first playthrough. I think it's that every time I consider playing it again instead of the numerous good moments it (probably) had, all I can remember of it is the boring as #$@% airboat and railcar levels. Couple that with the extremely slow and drawn out pre-action beginning and it's hard commit yourself to push through to the good parts. The original Half-Life suffered from this as well, I always dreaded sitting through the nonskippable intro/tram ride and initial parts of the game. Not that they weren't great the first time you experienced them.

This perfectly illustrates the wide array of tastes out there. I love the beginning segments of this game. It perfectly establishes your environment and situation. I wish more games took the time to suck the player in like HL2 does.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
This perfectly illustrates the wide array of tastes out there. I love the beginning segments of this game. It perfectly establishes your environment and situation. I wish more games took the time to suck the player in like HL2 does.

Agreed. Still one of the best games ever IMO. Funny how some things stick with you. I've never had so much fun playing, nor have I ever played games multiple times through (3x) then like HL2 and the original FarCry. It's the story and the atmosphere. Being chased through the apartment complex in the beginning....Wish more developers would take a lesson.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
HL2’s biggest problem is its weakling guns. The original’s guns felt much better and more visceral.

This. Oh God this.

The first time I picked up the pistol and fired it, I my jaw dropped. Not because it was totally awesome, but the exactly opposite - it sucked. The damage was laughable (game balancing, so I can excuse that), the accuracy was horrible, and the sound effect was just stupid. I feel like I'm playing laser tag or something. Please give me back the Glock from the original.

The SMG was a bit better, but still not up to par with the first time you fire the MP5 from the original. The fact that you have to unload almost a clip into some normal enemies makes it feel very weak.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
This. Oh God this.

The first time I picked up the pistol and fired it, I my jaw dropped. Not because it was totally awesome, but the exactly opposite - it sucked. The damage was laughable (game balancing, so I can excuse that), the accuracy was horrible, and the sound effect was just stupid. I feel like I'm playing laser tag or something. Please give me back the Glock from the original.

The SMG was a bit better, but still not up to par with the first time you fire the MP5 from the original. The fact that you have to unload almost a clip into some normal enemies makes it feel very weak.

Yes, HL1 felt so much more visceral than HL2. I mean you couldn't even gib guys in HL2. In fact the combat in general was so much more satisfying and fast paced in HL1.

I played HL2 in 2004 and thought it was overhyped. I went back and played HL1 and Opposing Force in 2009 for the first time and loved them despite the graphics.

Last edited:

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Mass Effect 2 was a third person/slight rpg/shooter hybrid, and I found it gave me the same sense of giddy fun that HL2 did. Both great games.

Batman: AA drew me in like those 2 did as well.

HL2 in no way even touched on an RPG element. COD 4, for that matter, had more RPG elements than HL2 with customizable weapons and perks.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Alyx looks great in cinematic mod 10!

Cinematic-Mod-10-new-Alyx-00.jpg

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
HL2 in no way even touched on an RPG element. COD 4, for that matter, had more RPG elements than HL2 with customizable weapons and perks.

I think it's a matter of how you define an RPG. I'd call HL2 an RPG because it does such a fantastic job of engrossing you, putting the player in Gordon Freeman's shoes and making you care about your friends, the refugees, and resisting your 'benefactors'. Stats and their like are just mechanical decisions that you can implement in nearly any game, they were just traditional RPG elements for a long time. But to me an RPG is more about the "RP" and less about the "G".

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I just started playing HL2 last night w\ the fake factory cm10 installed.

This game is legendary. not many games have ever come close to being as immersive as HL2.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The Fake Factory mod is terrible. Rather than actually enhancing the game, it slaps a garish set of paint on everything, ruins the lighting (too dark/too bright in some areas), and the "HD" character models are kind of a joke. Same goes with the "alternative soundtrack" that was stolen from Batman or something, even though the original soundtrack was already perfect.

And it makes Alyx look like a whore.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006

Yeah, the opening of Half Life 2 is a beautiful expanse of creepy Orwellian ambience. Perhaps the best 1984-a-like ever. In games anyway.

There's a lot in the game that I don't like (some of the puzzles, the enforced boat stuff, etc), but it's still masterfully done.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
One of very very few FPS games I've replayed. I've played through it probably half a dozen times and enjoy it each time.

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
I'm not a fan of the cinematic mod but played through the game for the umpteenth time a week ago. It never gets old! 8x MSAA + 8x TSS and the game looks great.

Some of you may not even be aware this is possible, but i have to ask. How many of you take Dogs 'Ball' into Ravenholm with you? I always do and i try to see how far i can get through the game with it by my side. It's hilarious to see it fighting with Zombies and Headcrabs!

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I don't know why people wish for a updated engine. The game still holds its own to modern games in graphics..and most certainly gameplay which is the most important.