Replaying HL2: it's just damn fun in a way few new games are imho, & still looks good

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I first played it on my 9800 pro/2.1 ghz oc tbred-b at release (after a nightmare activating it over a college network - damn you old Steam!), everything cranked that I could crank (16xAF but probably just 4xAA?) at 1280x960 :thumbsup:

Anywho, it's just peachy on my 5850/Q6600 at 1920x1200, with lashings of edge detect AA :cool: Some low-res textures aside, the flashlight and 'interactive' physics still impress ;)

But much more to the point, it's awesomesauce, sh1t-eating grin inducing fun. Just playing the airboat stages now and I swear I am grinning from ear to ear like an idiot as I dodge tracers and glowing red exploding barrels from the airship :thumbsup:x777

The little puzzles where you have to float ramps up with barrels, or weigh counterweights up or down are still fun, and remind me how ridiculously cool they were 'back in the day'. In fact, those make me want to play some Prince of Persia: Sands of Time :eek:

Hanging out for my next sighting of the G-Man...and maybe Alyx ;):oops:

Is it so much to ask that new games and franchises will deliver their own G-Men-equivalents and similar mad fun? :colbert:

Perhaps I can't see the willingness to make fun of itself that's present in the HL franchise and say FarCry, for example, in most newer games. Imho that always injects a real element of "kick, back, relax, and have a vast amount of fun kicking Dr Breen or Dr Kriegers' behinds"

Heck, gimme HL4 already (presuming the HL2Eps were HL3 - which I also massively enjoyed and look forward to replaying after HL2 :thumbsup:)!

Moved to PC Gaming.

Super Moderator BFG10K.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Throw some SSAA on that game, makes it look much better IMO.

Also, I assume you meant to post this in the PC Gaming section.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Thanks for the post op. Was debating a reinstall of this recently. First played on a 6800gt myself and haven't played since.

Think I will be now. :thumbsup:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Just got done playing HL2 over again and I agree wholeheartedly with your post. Gravity gun FTW!

If Valve came out with HL3 and it had 2011 graphics, it would be a hit of epic proportions me thinks.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
There hasn't been an FPS game as good as HL2 and the following episodes since they came out. Nothing even close that I can think of actually. Graphics haven't even improved that much and hell physics has gone down in terms of interactivity.

I don't understand why no one has tried to copy its style. Stalker was supposed to be greatttt but I like the fact that there are no RPG leveling and store style elements in HL2. Straight up good story, cool environment, cool enemies and fun weapons.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Mass Effect 2 was a third person/slight rpg/shooter hybrid, and I found it gave me the same sense of giddy fun that HL2 did. Both great games.

Batman: AA drew me in like those 2 did as well.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Just got done playing HL2 over again and I agree wholeheartedly with your post. Gravity gun FTW!

If Valve came out with HL3 and it had 2011 graphics, it would be a hit of epic proportions me thinks.

Zomg, I have the grav gun to look forward to! The .357 Magnum is the baddest toy I have at this stage ;)

It's just...fun. With an awesome storyline, great atmosphere and settings, and it doesn't take itself too seriously :thumbsup: I guess it's also the polished feel you get from a big franchise and a cult classic franchise at that, but to paraphrase Paul Simon, every generation is supposed to throw a hero up the pop-charts...so where's the next Gordon Freeman?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You know what's weird, I never did like playing Half Life 2. I don't know what it was, but the game never appealed to me. That said, I certainly do know and agree that it's a good game and one of the better singleplayer shooters to ever be released, but I personally just couldn't get into it.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Does that work for Episode 1 & 2?

According to that site it does.

• CM version 1 & 2: Half-Life 2 installed and unlocked*
  • CM version 3 & 4: Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 installed and unlocked
  • CM version 5 and later: Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 & 2 installed and unlocked
  • Fully installed and updated Steam client

Thanks for the link to that ! I too am going to try playing w\ this mod. I reinstalled several weeks ago but haven't played yet.

HL2 is one of the best game purchases I ever made.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I hadn't played it trough since I did it with my trusty X800. I just did it again since I got episodes 1 and 2 in the Christmas sale and I have to say I agree with OP.

The game feels really polished and it was very enjoyable playing with max detail and transparent AA. Looking forward to playing Ep 1 and 2 next week.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
You know what's weird, I never did like playing Half Life 2. I don't know what it was, but the game never appealed to me. That said, I certainly do know and agree that it's a good game and one of the better singleplayer shooters to ever be released, but I personally just couldn't get into it.

i love the flow the game has. however, im accustomed to playing games that use iron sights, or some kind of accuracy improvement and the random bullets from some of the guns annoy the hell out of me...for the first hour or two, then im usually engrossed in the game.

wish ep3 would come out already, but its clearly not a priority to valve. portal 2 will be out soon (i guess), and while portal was fun, i dont know if i want to play an entire game of it. itll be interesting to see what its like when its finished.

hl3 on a modern engine would be sweet, what are they using for portal 2 anyway?

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
I thought dug was "in like the future and sh!t", but now I find out he's in the past, playing the best video game release of 2004. :eek:

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
i love the flow the game has. however, im accustomed to playing games that use iron sights, or some kind of accuracy improvement and the random bullets from some of the guns annoy the hell out of me...for the first hour or two, then im usually engrossed in the game.
Ah well, but then you don't get those horrible cover based shooting mechanics that every other modern shooter has these days - must be some kind of law really :p

The whole series is a beacon of good game design in a large swamp of mediocre game play (but then we get top notch graphics in return!).
Although I'm starting to think Valve recogniced the fame they could earn by working on a game longer than duke nukem, well portal2 should be fun.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
I hated the Route Kanal chapter at first but it became one of my favs. I like HL because it doesn't have all the menus, menus, menus. Valve follows the KISS principle.

On the downside the weapons could be awful. You can shoot at something right in front of you and nothing happens. The handguns were more accurate than the rifles and thats just bad wrong. Shooting striders with a bazooka was great because of the sound they made when they went down. HL sounds are awesome - and when the action music would start to play at some point you got stoked. The ride through the citadel in that pod thing was really memorable. Ravenholm was creepy. A free roaming HL would be fun.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
While it improves the look of the game a lot, it detracts a lot from Valve's vision IMO. Alyx looks like a total slut and while I really enjoyed her sheer blouse and bounciness, I'd rather play the original.

I agree. Alyx's appearance by Valve was great. She's not supposed to be the archetypal video game bimbo, but Fakefactory decided to make her into one.

Screw FakeFactory.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
i'm one of the few that's never even really gotten into HL.
i tried playing the first one, gave up shortly after the beginning when i got sick of killing crawling giant critters and never tried another HL game. maybe i should give it another try.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
HL2’s biggest problem is its weakling guns. The original’s guns felt much better and more visceral.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
HL2’s biggest problem is its weakling guns. The original’s guns felt much better and more visceral.

Yeah, I agree with this. Thats why I mostly use the shotgun. Even when Its not very useful.