Question Replacing traditional 2.0 speakers with a single omnidirectional?

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Until now I've been using the standard 2.0 speaker setup with my PC (via 3.5mm), but this approach doesn't work very well anymore.
I'd like to replace this with a single bluetooth (or WiFi) device.

Do you use omnidirectional speakers on PC desks? How does it feel?
I'll use it almost exclusively for music and movies.

When I put current speakers to the side of the monitor (where the new one would be), it obviously feels weird - everything clearly coming from the side. I hope an omnidirectional speaker would minimize this feeling... :)

As for choosing the actual speaker, I read some reviews, but didn't have a chance to try the speakers.
I really like the JBL Link Portable. It's slightly over budget (I hoped to stay under £100), but being able to carry it around is probably worth it. JBL Link Music is the natural cheaper option.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
What is an "onmidirectional speaker"? Those rounded BT speakers, are just mono speakers pointed upwards in a case.
"Omnidirectional" is the marketing keyword for speakers that are supposed to sound similarly from any direction. Not great, not terrible (not "prosumer" level ;)).
Actually not every device in this category is "just a mono speaker pointed upwards". Some use a combination of speakers, but there's often something pointing up or down.
Echo Studio:
1597101072203.png
And if it isn't on the desk? E.g. 2 metres away?
What is your issue with 2.0?
My speakers are wired directly to my PC, which is the actual reason I'm looking for a replacement (either BT or WiFi).
Good 2.0 wireless sets can be quite expensive. Decent, cheaper options tend to be really bulky - taking over the desk...

I quite like the idea of a single small speaker doing this job.
Being able to take some of these speakers to other room is a nice bonus (portable ones have few hours of battery life).

Other than the "round" stuff, I quite like a few more devices (Denon Envaya lineup, IKEA/Sonos Symfonisk). But these would sound even worse standing next to a monitor.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't understand why you think one omni will sound better than stereo speakers. How exactly do you have them setup?
Also, wireless will not sound as good as wired unless you pay a lot more.

What do you mean take it to another room? Do you mean still playing from the PC?

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
I don't understand why you think one omni will sound better than stereo speakers.
Not what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I would like to replace stereo speakers with a single one (has to be wireless, portability is optional). It would be placed on the side of the desk (sadly, I don't have space for a soundbar).
So my assumption is that an omnidirectional speaker may sound better than a directed one placed in the same spot. It's fake surround after all. :)
Also, wireless will not sound as good as wired unless you pay a lot more.
Sure. That's the compromise. But wired speakers, plugged to a single PC, just don't work for me anymore.
This approach works fine if you have a "main PC" that you use for everything. And which is turned on most of the time.
And it doesn't look like that for me anymore. Or at least I try to make it happen. :)

For starters: I've been working from home since April and it will probably stay like that. It means I use 2 PCs on my desk and speakers are connected to the one used a lot less (private one).
I would also like to stream music from a smartphone when possible and give similar access to my girlfriend.
I don't want to keep a PC running just to listen to music. :)

But of course home office means that for 8-12 hours a day I'm sitting at the desk, looking at the monitor. And music coming from the side is 100% fine. Video sound... not so much. :)
Gaming also feels weird, but that's maybe 2h a week, so not an important scenario. And I usually do it in headphones anyway.
What do you mean take it to another room? Do you mean still playing from the PC?
From the PC, from other devices, from home assistant. Doesn't (at least: shouldn't) matter that much. Underneath it's all Spotify anyway. ;)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I would use 2 sets of speakers. One for the workspace, use mounts to elevate monitor if you need more space or you can just fire your stereo speakers upwards if all you care about is hearing sound. Headphones at workspace works as well. May be just move your stereo speakers to the living room and attach a bt receiver to it?

A proper speaker set hooked up to a receiver that has BT for your living room TV is really what you want.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
A single omni will still create localization. It will still be obvious that it's just a single speaker. They can be useful as surround speakers because the orientation of the dispersion isn't focused towards the user, but that can create it's own issues with timing between different speakers and the listening position depending on placement in the room when being used as a surround with movies. Doesn't sound like that's your use case, but it isn't going to create any simulated surround effect on it's own or fill the room without localization.

Sounds like you want a portable bluetooth speaker to use as a portable bluetooth speaker but are also trying to figure out how to make it replace what you already have at your PC. Get the portable bluetooth speaker, keep your PC setup as it is.

I think a wifi/bluetooth capable receiver and another set of speakers like sdifox indicated or other modern wifi speakers would be preferable, but it sounds like you're looking for something cheaper or don't want the fixed placement of those options.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If having better sound quality for less money doesn't work for you... there you go!

Seems like a good idea if you only have 20 cubic inches of space because you're living in a van down by the river.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
If having better sound quality for less money doesn't work for you... there you go!

Seems like a good idea if you only have 20 cubic inches of space because you're living in a van down by the river.
Well, it seems I value quality of life more than quality of sound in this particular matter. And for me that means a simpler setup: with less stuff and less money spent.

But thank you for this extremely enlightened comment. ;)

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Problem with bluetooth audio is the delay, and if you're wanting to game or watch videos with audio it's basically a deal breaker. Yes I know you can often do some audio delay hacks but it's simply not a nice situation.

Due to "quality of life" considerations at the moment my monitors are in storage and I've moved all my ambient/non-"critical listening" audio to a single decent wireless "smart speaker" (with BT) and I get the appeal of it. But I also have "very good" in-built speakers in my monitor which can take over the load when watching a video (aka awful compared to anything apart from other in-built speakers).

I simply can't imagine delayed AND off-centered audio being acceptable when watching a video or gaming. I'll think about buying bluetooth audio gear when bluetooth 5.2 becomes more widely accepted. Not that it's designed to directly address latency but I suspect there could be noticeable gains in that area, plus a pretty big leap in other areas. I'd suggest OP also waits if they are committed to bluetooth.

Last edited:

potato masher

May 15, 2019
Life is messy. If you want to simplify your desk, clean up all those wires and junk.. and if you think that a single speaker is going to be best FOR YOU.. more power to you. Try it and see how you like it and let us know.

Some people need a huge 7.2 surround system, some people use 3.1... some people just watch movies on the built-in crap tv speakers. Everybody is different.

fluffmonster

Sep 29, 2006
2.0 to omni trades localization for space management. Omni can make good quality sound, but it will sound like it is coming from the speaker no matter where it is. If you put it on the side while watching a movie, the sound will sound like it is coming from the side. I don't see the gain in your case.

Make the 2.0s work if you care about movies and music. If you don't care that much, just admit it to yourself and stick whatever speaker where-ever.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I think a really high quality single speaker could sound pretty dang good.
Yes, a good quality omni can accurately reproduce sound, but it can't give the intended stereo experience for creatures with two opposing ears.

Rather than simplifying anything, it is just creating a more complex issue. If hiding wires is important then considering so many more that a PC and monitor may use, the better solution seems to be a desk with a back on it to block sight of them and position the PC under or behind it.

It is pretty easy to hide wires on a 2 channel speaker setup. Stringing wires to the correct locations for more than 2.1 is where it gets more difficult depending on the room shape, size, whether carpet or trim is present that can hide wire and keep speakers positioned correctly.

Last edited:

potato masher

May 15, 2019
Exactly, it can sound fine. And the way I figure it.. to each their own. A guy who goes through the trouble of posting on a forum about using only one speaker, he probably should go ahead and use only one speaker. I've done it before when one broke. And I was broke. Also did the 7.2 thing when I wasn't..

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Yes, a good quality omni can accurately reproduce sound, but it can't give the intended stereo experience for creatures with two opposing ears.
I think the misunderstanding here is that some comments look at this from a desk perspective. When you start to move around the room, a carefully set up 2.0 speakers lose most of the stereo charm.
Rather than simplifying anything, it is just creating a more complex issue. If hiding wires is important then considering so many more that a PC and monitor may use, the better solution seems to be a desk with a back on it to block sight of them and position the PC under or behind it.
As I said earlier: wires have to go away. And you keep arguing that wired speakers sound better for less money. I know they do. I don't care.
Also, I don't understand why you're merging "wireless" with "omni". I could (and may in the end) go for a wireless 2.0.

Anyway, it's been a month since I was misunderstood for the first time, but I had more pressing matters in the meantime.
Just to finalize the thread: I'll be getting either the older Google Home or the new Google Nest Mini (because it's supposedly a big upgrade sound-wise over the original - and poor - Mini). They cost more or less the same.
I'll try the idea myself before I go for more expensive solution.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I think the misunderstanding here is that some comments look at this from a desk perspective. When you start to move around the room, a carefully set up 2.0 speakers lose most of the stereo charm.

As I said earlier: wires have to go away. And you keep arguing that wired speakers sound better for less money. I know they do. I don't care.
Also, I don't understand why you're merging "wireless" with "omni". I could (and may in the end) go for a wireless 2.0.

Anyway, it's been a month since I was misunderstood for the first time, but I had more pressing matters in the meantime.
Just to finalize the thread: I'll be getting either the older Google Home or the new Google Nest Mini (because it's supposedly a big upgrade sound-wise over the original - and poor - Mini). They cost more or less the same.
I'll try the idea myself before I go for more expensive solution.

Seems you've made up your mind about what you want, I'm sure you have your views for a reason. As do other people. Many here would find off-centred audio unacceptable for anything apart from ambient music. But with regards to a wireless solution I did recommend waiting until Bluetooth 5.2 solutions are around, in particular I think the LC3plus protocol could game changing for latency.

Obviously latency isn't a problem for music. But you did mention light gaming and I assume you will be watching some videos. In either situation the 200ms+ latency of current bluetooth solutions are just awelful (apart from a narrowly supported Aptx LL thing?). If you haven't experience with BT latency I would recommend borrowing or buying something cheap to understand the limitations before putting down cash.

For the record I'm currently running a decent wireless "omni" speaker for my ambient music (harmon kardon citation one) and I tried hooking it up wirelessly to my PC and TV but I could not deal with the latency. I also own a set of 2.0 iLoud micro monitors which have BT. They have older BT codecs which isn't ideal, but plenty good enough for the online radio stations I usually listen to, except for latency ofc'. They'll be right up there (or better) with respect to audio quality compared to options you mentioned. But there's still wires running around with a "wireless" 2.0 set up which need to be hidden. One more cable for wired might not be a game-changer with omni or 2.0 aesthetics, but that wire was for shizzle a game changer with respect to useability for me.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

No, it retains far more of it than a mono speaker. It would have to be a very large room to not hear the difference.

You can say anything you like but you can't put out that statement then pretend there are no consequences. Instead we can try to talk some sanity into you because it is not sane to have some aversion to wires that (routed properly) you won't even see.

You were not misunderstood. I understand perfectly that you have some mental block and don't realize that wires for at least the two front channel speakers don't have to be visible unless you look for them, or the whole PC setup is laying bare on a floor instead of a desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
If you're just looking for validation, then why bother posting. I've got a portable bluetooth speaker that's for when I'm in my motel room or by the pool/beach. Hook it up to my smartphone or tablet and away I go. When I'm at home, I've got a nice sized computer desk with a back that hides the wiring. I have rather large (as in they're not dinky) multimedia 2.0 speakers. I tried them out in 2006 and was blown away by their imaging that my previous setup (5.1) did not have. Night and day. I couldn't stand the muddy mid-bass from the subwoofer that was needed because the satellites were so small. I replaced them with a newer version in 2017. I'd say just upgrade your 2.0 speakers.