Replacing tile baseboards

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Just about done replacing the builder's grade baseboards in the living room and loving the look so far. Amazing how much difference they make. Well now I'm wanting to do the family room too but it's tile with tile baseboards. Can I remove them without damaging the walls and floor tiles?

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
You shouldn't have a problem with damaging the floor.

Assuming sheetrock, the walls are a different story. It just depends how well they are stuck and there's only one way to find out. Try and pry them off low from the side rather from the top, or gently pry them up if you can get under them. Score between the grout line and the paper with a Stanley knife if the paper seems like it wants to tear. Try for big pieces rather than smashing them to bits. Hopefully the new base is the same height or taller.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Just an update. I went ahead and ripped the tile baseboards off of one wall. It wasn't too hard and I managed not to destroy the drywall underneath. I can't say the same for some of the tiles as they cracked when I was prying them off. Floor tiles were fine. It looks much better with the regular baseboard so I'm going to do the entire room in the near future. New ones are about 1/2" shorter so yea I'm gonna have to paint below the baseboard first to get a clean line.