Replacing soda pop with barley malt beverages?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Well I do buy pearled barley so I can trying roasting that for barley tea instead. Or do I need whole grain barley instead?
Whole grain. But just buy roasted barley instead of trying to roast at home. You have to know what it's supposed to taste like before you try making your own. But there's no point in roasting barley at home.

You can also try roasted corn tea. Corn has some sweetness so it pairs well with roasted barley which can be bit bitter. Mix of roasted corn and barley is the way to go for the best tasting tea.

Then there's brown rice tea. Buckwheat tea. But none of this will help you quit soda.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I used to drink a lot of flavored iced tea, no sugar. I'd mix half green or black tea, with something like Celestial Seasonings herb tea. The way I made it only took four bags of tea to make 2 liters, so it was economical. Something to consider.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Whole grain. But just buy roasted barley instead of trying to roast at home. You have to know what it's supposed to taste like before you try making your own. But there's no point in roasting barley at home.

You can also try roasted corn tea. Corn has some sweetness so it pairs well with roasted barley which can be bit bitter. Mix of roasted corn and barley is the way to go for the best tasting tea.

Then there's brown rice tea. Buckwheat tea. But none of this will help you quit soda.
What brand do you recommend? I found out that I can get it in tea bags, so that is preferred.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What brand do you recommend? I found out that I can get it in tea bags, so that is preferred.
Any Korean or Japanese brand. Just buy whatever is the cheapest. It way cheaper if you buy at retail store instead of ordering online from sites like Amazon.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Any Korean or Japanese brand. Just buy whatever is the cheapest. It way cheaper if you buy at retail store instead of ordering online from sites like Amazon.
I'll check, but I don't think the local stores carry it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I can get roasted barley coffee easy enough, although I am looking to make something closer to tea. So what is really the difference between the two? Is it the roast, how long it's brewed?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'll check, but I don't think the local stores carry it.
Any Korean, Japanese, or Chinese grocery stores will carry it. You won't find it at regular supermarket like Kroger. If you live out in the boonies with no Asian grocery stores, then you'll have to pay more and buy it from Amazon.

Well I can get roasted barley coffee easy enough, although I am looking to make something closer to tea. So what is really the difference between the two? Is it the roast, how long it's brewed?
There's no such thing as roasted barley coffee. Barley is not coffee bean. That lady can claim the roasted barley she sells is like coffee but it's not coffee and never will be coffee. It's simply marketing BS. It's probably barley burnt to hell and over roasted to give really dark liquid and bitter taste.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Any Korean, Japanese, or Chinese grocery stores will carry it. You won't find it at regular supermarket like Kroger. If you live out in the boonies with no Asian grocery stores, then you'll have to pay more and buy it from Amazon.

There's no such thing as roasted barley coffee. Barley is not coffee bean. That lady can claim the roasted barley she sells is like coffee but it's not coffee and never will be coffee. It's simply marketing BS. It's probably barley burnt to hell and over roasted to give really dark liquid and bitter taste.
OK coffee substitute then, that is what I meant.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
OK coffee substitute then, that is what I meant.
It's not coffee substitute. I drink both coffee and barley tea. It tastes nothing alike and neither is substitute. Coffee has caffeine. Barley does not. It's like saying chocolate milk is coffee substitute because both drinks are dark brown in color. Your fascination with grains is extremely odd and more odd that you think grain tea will substitute soda or coffee. Just save your money and drink water. Plain tap water is just as much coffee or soda substitute as any barley or grain tea drink.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's not coffee substitute. I drink both coffee and barley tea. It tastes nothing alike and neither is substitute. Coffee has caffeine. Barley does not. It's like saying chocolate milk is coffee substitute because both drinks are dark brown in color. Your fascination with grains is extremely odd and more odd that you think grain tea will substitute soda or coffee. Just save your money and drink water. Plain tap water is just as much coffee or soda substitute as any barley or grain tea drink.
Well I am thinking of trying Barley tea to see if I like it. I'm also considering quitting beverages with caffeine altogether or only drink them in the morning.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Herb tea is pretty straight forward, and easy to find in typical stores. You can get light and fresh, fruity, tart, spicy and dark... No caffeine.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Herb tea is pretty straight forward, and easy to find in typical stores. You can get light and fresh, fruity, tart, spicy and dark... No caffeine.
I will start with that first. Which ones is best suited for making cold/iced tea? If need I can sweeten the teas with Stevia.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It depends on personal taste. Celestial Seasonings makes pretty good teas, and are the easiest to find. Plain mint is nice. Their Lemon Zinger is good, and would be good blended with a black real tea(has caffeine of course). This time of year, they have some good seasonal spice teas. Sleepytime camomile is a good hot tea. Should probably be good cold too. They also have a "sick" tea. Forget what it's called, but it has eucalyptus and mint as the primary flavors. Nice when you aren't feeling well. I've been out of it for awhile, so I'm not the best source of info. I'd go look at the lineup, and see if anything strikes your fancy. The fruit flavors tend to be tart. Also, if you really want to avoid caffeine at all costs, read the labels. They have some real tea blends that have caffeine, but they'll all be less than coffee, especially green tea.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It depends on personal taste. Celestial Seasonings makes pretty good teas, and are the easiest to find. Plain mint is nice. Their Lemon Zinger is good, and would be good blended with a black real tea(has caffeine of course). This time of year, they have some good seasonal spice teas. Sleepytime camomile is a good hot tea. Should probably be good cold too. They also have a "sick" tea. Forget what it's called, but it has eucalyptus and mint as the primary flavors. Nice when you aren't feeling well. I've been out of it for awhile, so I'm not the best source of info. I'd go look at the lineup, and see if anything strikes your fancy. The fruit flavors tend to be tart. Also, if you really want to avoid caffeine at all costs, read the labels. They have some real tea blends that have caffeine, but they'll all be less than coffee, especially green tea.
Any that taste naturally sweet without adding sugar or other sweeteners? I'm type II diabetic so any I should avoid or only drink small amounts of them?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Any that taste naturally sweet without adding sugar or other sweeteners? I'm type II diabetic so any I should avoid or only drink small amounts of them?
None have any kind of sweetener, real or otherwise. I think I remember the "sickness" tea having licorice, which has a naturally sweet taste, but no carbs.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Neat? I wish her luck as she's going to need it. She acts like roasted barley tea is something completely new that she developed and it took her two years to develop. Lol. All she had to do was travel to Korea, Japan, or China. She could've saved herself 2 years and the hassle. They've been drinking barley tea for probably like thousand years. It's served like water in Korea. If you go to any Korean restaurant in the US or Korea, they will ask you if you want glass of water or glass of hot/cold barley tea. And if you go to any Korean grocery store in the US like H-mart, they will have barley tea for couple bucks for a pound. She wants $10 /lb plus shipping? Lol. She's trying to get coffee prices for barley. :eek:
https://www.ohhowcivilized.com/barley-tea/

I drink barley tea year round and have for 40 plus years. I can tell you drinking barley tea will do nothing for your soda addiction.

Most Americans have virtually zero knowledge of Korean food or culture and certainly don't have Korean grocery stores near them. That said, she either failed to do very basic research or is taking advantage of the ignorance of consumers. Both are traditions amongst businesses :p

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
None have any kind of sweetener, real or otherwise. I think I remember the "sickness" tea having licorice, which has a naturally sweet taste, but no carbs.
Thanks again. And I do like licorice so I could try that "sickness" tea if I find it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Most Americans have virtually zero knowledge of Korean food or culture and certainly don't have Korean grocery stores near them. That said, she either failed to do very basic research or is taking advantage of the ignorance of consumers. Both are traditions amongst businesses :p
In her defense she most likely experimented with different roasting levels to come up with something she and husband enjoys drinking first and then the potential customers who want/need something caffeine free to drink they will like in her state.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If you start getting into actual herbal teas, there are so many choices. I drink certain teas for the health benefit. I'm going to start drinking hibiscus tea again. I'm not a fan of the taste of hibiscus tea since it's really tart and sort of has cranberry flavor but it drastically lowers blood pressure and I suspect it helps with cholesterol. My wife has high blood pressure and drinking hibiscus tea will lower her blood pressure about 10-15%. Enough to take her out of the danger zone to normal zone. It really works.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If you start getting into actual herbal teas, there are so many choices. I drink certain teas for the health benefit. I'm going to start drinking hibiscus tea again. I'm not a fan of the taste of hibiscus tea since it's really tart and sort of has cranberry flavor but it drastically lowers blood pressure and I suspect it helps with cholesterol. My wife has high blood pressure and drinking hibiscus tea will lower her blood pressure about 10-15%. Enough to take her out of the danger zone to normal zone. It really works.
I may have to be careful with that tea since I am taking medication for high blood pressure.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
In her defense she most likely experimented with different roasting levels to come up with something she and husband enjoys drinking first and then the potential customers who want/need something caffeine free to drink they will like in her state.
That's true, what I said was harsh.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Out of curiosity how sweet tasting is roast corn tea?
It's sweet enough it's pleasant but not overly sweet that you'll notice or care. You shouldn't add anything to these tea and should drink it plain.

I'm drinking big glass of hibiscus tea for after dinner drink right now.
m17CPhDl.jpg

I had two of these 1/2 lb reverse seared burgers for dinner tonight. :D I need to wash and cleanse some of the grease that's in my body right now. Two large cups of hibiscus tea should do it. One cup for each 1/2 lb burger that I ate.
hVltkeIl.jpg

WAUy8zOl.jpg
851ZjUnl.jpg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's sweet enough it's pleasant but not overly sweet that you'll notice or care. You shouldn't add anything to these tea and should drink it plain.

I'm drinking big glass of hibiscus tea for after dinner drink right now.
m17CPhDl.jpg

I had two of these 1/2 lb reverse seared burgers for dinner tonight. :D I need to wash and cleanse some of the grease that's in my body right now. Two large cups of hibiscus tea should do it. One cup for each 1/2 lb burger that I ate.
hVltkeIl.jpg

WAUy8zOl.jpg
851ZjUnl.jpg
Thank you again and that is very tasty looking burger.