Replacing Microsoft Anna

severus

Dec 30, 2007
I just installed Windows 7 32bit and I already regret it. I have Ventrilo, a VOIP program, where text to speech is used frequently whenever anybody connects. How the hell can I replace Anna, her voice is like scratching fingernails on a blackboard. I'd prefer to replace it with SAM if possible, even through third party software.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
After poking around a little on the web for you, I noticed a program you might want to try called Ultra Hal - it's 3rd party, but is supposed to have it's own voices.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
After about 7 hours of debating ( being at work) I decided Win 7 has to go. It's just far too $41tty of an operating system. Will be reinstalling Windows XP Pro tonight.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
It's all just going to entail too much effort, effort that I'd rather spend reinstalling a FUNCTIONAL operating system. To me, there are no benefits of having this newer OS installed. I was perfectly content running games on DX9 and my card (4870) doesn't even support full DX11 functionality (4870). I don't want this to turn into a Win 7 bashing thread, I am definitely not satisfied with this OS. To express how much I dislike Win 7, within the first fifteen minutes of having it installed, I reverted to the classic windows look, got a 3rd party classic start menu, etc etc. I'm glad I didn't pay for it (my school allows us one copy for free!)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
To each his own. I'd rather run just about anything else than XP :^D

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
To express how much I dislike Win 7, within the first fifteen minutes of having it installed, I reverted to the classic windows look, got a 3rd party classic start menu, etc etc.

Wow. Just... wow.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
It's all just going to entail too much effort, effort that I'd rather spend reinstalling a FUNCTIONAL operating system. To me, there are no benefits of having this newer OS installed. I was perfectly content running games on DX9 and my card (4870) doesn't even support full DX11 functionality (4870). I don't want this to turn into a Win 7 bashing thread, I am definitely not satisfied with this OS. To express how much I dislike Win 7, within the first fifteen minutes of having it installed, I reverted to the classic windows look, got a 3rd party classic start menu, etc etc. I'm glad I didn't pay for it (my school allows us one copy for free!)

Welcome to 1995 :/

severus

Dec 30, 2007
Wow. Just... wow.

Lol. I'm serious too. I can take a screenshot if nobody believes me. I have no love for Aero either. Even while using Win XP I was using I had a classic start menu and win 2000 look.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
Well, the plague that was Windows 7 has officially been killed by the Anti-Virus (Windows XP). Couldn't be happier. Support for my AC97 Realtek on my IP35-E, Microsoft Sam, and a remarkable start menu.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What!

Why would you post as if you were looking for assistance when you had already made up your mind in the first 15 minutes that " Windows 7 Sux " ?

This may be why you are unsatisfied.

pcgeek11

severus

Dec 30, 2007
What!

Why would you post as if you were looking for assistance when you had already made up your mind in the first 15 minutes that " Windows 7 Sux " ?

This may be why you are unsatisfied.

pcgeek11

It's not that I hated 7 while installing it. In fact, I found it easier to install than most other operating systems, however once I was actually running the OS the problems began. It looks utterly terrible. From screenshots you really can't tell how bad the Aero feature is, however once in the OS it becomes noticeable. The lack of compatibility with my Realtek onboard sound turned me off almost immediately. I figured if I could get rid of Microsoft Anna I might be able to deal with it. Then the issue of the menus arose, and then icons, etc. It turned out to be too much to change to try and make it look like XP. That being said, if Microsoft comes out with some sort of XP look for Windows 7, and there is access to Microsoft Sam, I might switch over. However, until then I'll be using Windows XP.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
Wow.... This dude doesnt sound very educated.

That is just an ignorant statement. I've been fluent with computers since a very young age, beginning with Windows 3.1 (which I still have on another machine). I never bought into the whole Vista garbage. The only reason I even thought to try windows 7 out was that my college offers it for free (NJIT), if it wasn't for that, it could rot in the same grave with Vista. I've built numerous machines for myself, and my friends. When picking an OS I tell them like it is. "Well you can have the latest OS, but compatibility is going to suck."

severus

Dec 30, 2007
The large majority of my friends are cheap, and have some form of legacy hardware or software that they like to use. For instance, modern games don't appeal to me or most of my friends. We are still playing Counter-Strike 1.6 and Civilization 4. Compared to my friends Win7 machine (q6600, 4890) I found my system to run smoother (e6750, 4870, XP Pro).

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
When picking an OS I tell them like it is. "Well you can have the latest OS, but compatibility is going to suck."

Now this is an ignorant statement.

Realtek onboard sound works just fine.

It sounds like you are kinda hung up on Sam :) ??? Scary.

pcgeek11