Question replacing CMOS battery on motherboard

Turbonium

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2003
I figure it's as straightforward as:
  • disconnect computer from power source (turning off the power via the PSU switch should suffice, right?)
  • swap out the CMOS battery
  • boot up computer and reconfigure BIOS settings
Seems silly to ask this, but I'm just making sure.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Being the renegade I am, I swap batteries before they die, leave computer running, do not reconfig bios settings. Helps to be really careful, often I have to use needle nose pliers or forceps to get access to the battery release tab without moving other things out of the way... don't want to short anything out, a strong flashlight helps.

Recently I happened upon a rarity, a CR2032 that LEAKED. Fortunately it only made a mess on itself, very small leak but is still the first I've seen of these leaking, was a major brand Sony cell too.

Reactions: QuietDad

vishvajit

Jan 21, 2023
Yes, swapping out the CMOS battery on a computer can be a straightforward process, and the steps you've outlined are generally correct. Here is a summary of the steps you need to take:
  1. Disconnect the computer from the power source: You should unplug the power cord from the computer and turn off the power supply unit (PSU) switch to ensure no power is going to the system.
  2. Locate the CMOS battery: The CMOS battery is usually a small, round, coin-shaped battery located on the motherboard. It may be located near the BIOS chip or the I/O ports.
  3. Remove the old battery: Depending on the design of your motherboard, you may need to use a small screwdriver to remove the battery from its holder. Be careful not to damage any other components when removing the battery.
  4. Please insert the new battery: Carefully insert it into the holder, ensuring it is oriented correctly. You may need to use a small screwdriver to secure the battery.
  5. Reconnect power to the computer: Once the new battery is in place, reconnect it and turn it on.
  6. Reconfigure BIOS settings: When you turn on the computer, it may automatically enter the BIOS setup utility. If this happens, you'll need to reconfigure the BIOS settings to match your system's hardware and preferences. If the computer does not enter the BIOS setup utility, you can enter it by pressing the key shown on the screen during the boot process.
It is important to note that, depending on the computer's model, the location of the CMOS battery could be different, and some steps could require more attention and care.
Following these steps, you can easily swap out the CMOS battery and reconfigure your BIOS settings.

vishvajit

Jan 21, 2023
yes i missed this point ,"ground yourself before touching components as you might damage delicate electronic parts, to ground yourself simply touch a metal object that is connected to the ground such as the metal chasis of your computer.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS