Replacing both keyboard and mouse tomorrow, should I get USB or PS2

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I'm going to head over to Best Buy tomorrow and pick up a new keyboard and mouse. My old ones are both PS2. I've never owned a USB component before, so I was wondering if I should stick with PS2, or make use of the USB ports? I don't really have any reason for or against it, I guess I could go by price, but I bet even that is similar. Any suggestions? I'm looking into an optical Logitech mouse.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Definitely a PS2 keyboard, because a USB one would ONLY work in Windows. A mouse though is not as simple. If you're not using 98/ME, then get a USB one, but if you are, I'd suggest a PS2 one since you can adjust the refresh rate of it to 200hz, which is higher than USB..plus, with '98 if you ever use DOS you can use it as well.

However, many mice and keyboaards have a USB adapater and PS/2, allowing you to use either so my above thoughts would be irrelevant.

Cooltech2k

Banned
Feb 9, 2001
I Use a Usb Mouse & a Ps2 Keyboard.

I Like the Improved smoothness of my mouse (optical) but I think a Usb Keyboard would be more trouble than its worth. If you were ever to have to like re plug & play your usb ports. it can be done with a KB 7 No Mouse But it would suck with Nothing at all.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
you have to get the logitech trackball. screw mice. its all about that damn ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):p

danny~!

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
well, if your mobo's bios has legacy support, enable it, and you can use usb keyboards and mice in dos, linux and junk

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Get the Logitech Cordless Optical Mouseman.. i think 800dpi?!? That mouse is NIICE! You should get a PS/2 keyboard to make sure it works in all functions of BIOS n stuff

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll go with a PS2 keyboard just to be on the safe side, and I'll get whatever mouse I like best, be it PS2 or USB.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000

<< Get the Logitech Cordless Optical Mouseman.. i think 800dpi?!? That mouse is NIICE! You should get a PS/2 keyboard to make sure it works in all functions of BIOS n stuff >>

Definately a great mouse. That's what I'm using, will never go back to track ball again. I got a PS2 Logitech keyboard, just because the buttons and wrist rest match the mouse (it's blue). Plus I got a blue Belkin mousepad, have to be color coordinated you know.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Get a PS2 keyboard and an MS USB optical mouse--they come with PS2 adapters, so if for some reason you change your mind, or need the USB port, you can switch. Then again, I'd love to have that Logitech Cordless Optical!

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I always buy PS2 keyboards, the same one too, Keytronic E03601 PS2. Its just your standard old school style IBM keyboard with the tall keys. I can't use anything else.

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
How about one that is both? You shouldn't have any problems finding a mouse that is both USB and PS2. If you can find a keyboard that is both greeat, otherwise, I'd stick with the PS2 (I just switched back to PS2 from a USB keyboard). But USB smoothness is also a function of processor.