replacing bathtub - for anyone who's done it

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
GF loves spa tubs, she has the basic whatever tub that comes with most homes. was looking on Home Depots web site and saw a couple that looked nice and didn't seem to cost too much ($800'ish range) I know they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for delivery.

Here's my question she lives in a 2 story Condo, and I'm trying to picture how they could possibly get the tub upstairs and into the bathroom. It just seems like it would be impossible, I'm sure it's not but I can't see it. Her stairs aren't that wide, her cealing isn't that high, and her bathroom door doesn't seem wide. This would be a problem for mostly anybody with a 2 story who wanted to replace a tub. I know some people on here know everything so maybe someone could share insight on how, or even how much I would be looking to spend on installation. I have a feeling the installation will end up running almost as much as the tub is, but I know there's no possible way I could do this on my own.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Depending on the model, most acrylic 'spa' type tubs are only about 110 lbs. to 150 lbs. Even the larger sized tubs are in the 6' X 38ish" range. Two people can usaually manage this weight maneuvering around corners fairly easily. The tubs also come with installation instructions for the hardware connections.

The most difficult step is the proper preparation of the supporting framework and finish tiling. Check with your local home improvement store to see if they are offering any classes or workshops on tub installation. A project like this IS doable for the home owner who wants to save some money. If you're really not into do it yourself projects, be prepared for some expensive carpentry and tiling work ($1000+).

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
coming from a person who's installed 5 or 6 tubs, I wouldn't tackle this one yourself if you've never done any before. if you just have a normal tub in there now, you will have to build a frame for it, and tile it and tile the rest of the wall as well so it all matches. Not to mention having to mess around the maybe the water lines and for sure the drain, which will likely mean coming at it through the ceiling of the floor below. Installing the tub with tiles will likely cost at least 2 - 3 times the cost of the tub.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
coming from a person who's installed 5 or 6 tubs, I wouldn't tackle this one yourself if you've never done any before. if you just have a normal tub in there now, you will have to build a frame for it, and tile it and tile the rest of the wall as well so it all matches. Not to mention having to mess around the maybe the water lines and for sure the drain, which will likely mean coming at it through the ceiling of the floor below. Installing the tub with tiles will likely cost at least 2 - 3 times the cost of the tub.

2-3x as much? yikes I better save up a bit more, I definitely don't watch to even touch this myself. I guess this is a bit larger of a job than just dropping a tub in for somebody who knows how to do it, I didn't even think about having to have a frame built and tiling. There's always her birthday next year :)

thanks for the reply

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Make sure you also read up on the electrical and building codes for the spa tub. At the very least, you're going to be installing a faceless GFCI for the tub. You may be able to use a GFCI breaker to protect the line. Read up to see if there are any additions made in your town to the NEC for this.