Question Replacement of all internals running two Windows OSes

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Basically I've updated my build with new hardware (mobo, ram, CPU, even PSU). In my current system I'm running one SSD with Windows 10 and another Windows 7. I'd like to continue using both in the new system as they are and of course I own both. What kind of issues am I going to come across trying to plug both into the new system? Will either of them reauthenticate themselves or do I need to go digging for product keys? And one question further for safety is, if I don't find the keys, I seem to recall being able to get them with some piece of software?

Just realised this is going to prompt questions about why I keep the Windows 7 drive. I don't go online with it but I use it to run several games from roughly 20 years ago that only run on a Windows 7 system. I know, I know, there are virtual systems and I've had the discussion several times with people who thought they were going to crack the code and make these games run on virtual emulation and they never work. Let's just accept that I need the Windows 7 drive. So, is there a chance the Ryzen 3600 won't run Windows 7? If so, the motherboard is ATX and therefore too big to keep just for occasional use. Would it be possible to pop the CPU out and put it in some (now) very cheap microboard only for these games to run? I don't mind keeping something the size of a console, but another ATX tower starts getting silly.

Thank you!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't know about the R5 3600 and Windows 7, but I know that you can install and use 1st-gen Ryzen CPUs, but not APUs, with Win7 64-64. I used an X370 chipset. I have my doubts that X570 boards would have Win7 chipset drivers.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I don't know about the R5 3600 and Windows 7, but I know that you can install and use 1st-gen Ryzen CPUs, but not APUs, with Win7 64-64. I used an X370 chipset. I have my doubts that X570 boards would have Win7 chipset drivers.
I keep finding online that the 3600 won't run Win7. But there's so much crap info online. Someone just told me elsewhere it definitely won't happen.

Otherwise is the other thing I suggested possible or am I talking nonsense... Can I take the CPU I'm currently running, pop it out of the motherboard, and take it with the RAM to some probably very cheap right now microboard so I don't have to keep this big ATX one?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Otherwise is the other thing I suggested possible or am I talking nonsense... Can I take the CPU I'm currently running, pop it out of the motherboard, and take it with the RAM to some probably very cheap right now microboard so I don't have to keep this big ATX one?
You would still need to get the OS installs to "transplant" to that new mobo. Remember, it's not the CPU or RAM that Windows adapts to when it's installed, it the mobo and chipset used by the mobo. (*For the most part.)

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
You would still need to get the OS installs to "transplant" to that new mobo. Remember, it's not the CPU or RAM that Windows adapts to when it's installed, it the mobo and chipset used by the mobo. (*For the most part.)
How do you mean transplant? You can't just plug them in and run after activating them?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Why not pick up a used system for 7? A Haswell generation system would be perfect, plenty of power and guaranteed 7 support. Doesn't sound like you need an awful lot of computing power for those old games. This saves a lot of hassle to maybe get 7 working on an unsupported platform.

I have a dedicated "legacy" system for this purpose, where you need a particular Windows version for old software to work.

(You might also check gog.com if the titles are available. They handle the compatibility layer)

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Doesn't sound like you need an awful lot of computing power for those old games. This saves a lot of hassle to maybe get 7 working on an unsupported platform.
You're right, they really don't need a lot of power to run. I don't even know if they need my GPU.
I have a dedicated "legacy" system for this purpose, where you need a particular Windows version for old software to work.
I'd love something like that, but the thing as well as with buying a system as you suggested is that I already have this motherboard and CPU that I know work fine and I won't be using them anymore because I'm upgrading my system and parts are on their way. I just hadn't thought that Win7 wouldn't work on my new system. The problem is the ATXmobo is large and I don't have room for two towers next to each other.
(You might also check gog.com if the titles are available. They handle the compatibility layer)
Well, right away I can tell you these are old sports games that aren't on GOG. And besides I already own them, so I'm not keen on buying them again. It's not so much about compatibility, it's about them being only playable on earlier versions of DirectX and also having SecuRom protection that is completely incompatible with current systems. Not EVERYthing is playable on new systems, not even through compatibility tweaks or virtual machines. So your idea of keeping a system is smart, I was just hoping that I could have something more the size of a console than a whole computer.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
1. The problem is the ATXmobo is large and I don't have room for two towers next to each other. 2. So your idea of keeping a system is smart, I was just hoping that I could have something more the size of a console than a whole computer.

I can see the problem. It's a shame you can't get the CoolerMaster Elite 360/361's anymore (maybe used?). They're about as compact as a full ATX system can get.

You could always sell the components you know are working, shouldn't be any issue since they're working. Then use the proceeds to see if you can get a good deal on an off-lease SFF Dell Optiplex machine. They're well built reliable little things, and actually smaller then a console.

Just some ideas... :)

Well, right away I can tell you these are old sports games that aren't on GOG. And besides I already own them, so I'm not keen on buying them again. It's not so much about compatibility, it's about them being only playable on earlier versions of DirectX and also having SecuRom protection that is completely incompatible with current systems. Not EVERYthing is playable on new systems, not even through compatibility tweaks or virtual machines.

Ah. Otherwise known as a Licencing Nightmare(tm). Yeah, you're not going to find such anywhere. Add SecuRom, and I think I know how feel.

Reactions: tinpanalley

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I keep finding online that the 3600 won't run Win7. But there's so much crap info online. Someone just told me elsewhere it definitely won't happen.

From what I've read it seems the problem getting windows 7 installed is on the motherboard level and related to screwed up USB support. Many folks report that disabling USB and using a PS2 mouse/keyboard allow it to work. Once updates are installed USB works too supposedly. YMMV?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
From what I've read it seems the problem getting windows 7 installed is on the motherboard level and related to screwed up USB support. Many folks report that disabling USB and using a PS2 mouse/keyboard allow it to work. Once updates are installed USB works too supposedly. YMMV?
Hmm.. but what updates?