Replacement key & keyless entry for Toyota Corolla

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Not long ago, I lost the key and keyless entry device for my 2007 Toyota Corolla. I still have the second set and called a nearby Toyota dealership to find out how much it would cost to make a copy: I was quoted $60 for the key, $120 for the keyless entry device, and $73 for labor (for "programming" the devices), for a grand total of $253. Sounds ridiculously high to me.

Are there cheaper alternatives out there?

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
CHeck ebay for the keyless device. Ifit's a laser-cut key, you'll probably have to get it from the dealer. The dealers will have a flat fee for programming.

I bought a remote for my '03 VW on ebay for $25 with a new battery. I got a new key and programming from mylocal dealer for $90. Total $115.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You can get the Key Blank from here For $9 .. then just have a Locksmith cut the key to match your other one. Most Locksmiths can do laser cut keys nowadays.

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/05-0...008-TOYOTA-COROLLA-CHIP-KEY_380207640887.html

Here is Keyless Entry unit for your car .... $50

http://www.keyless-remotes.com/toyo...-new-114?category=Remotes:Toyota:2004:Corolla

Here is how to program the new Remote unit:

IF ten seconds or more elapse between any of the following steps,you will need to start all over again.Prepare vehicle by closing and locking all doors except driver's door should be open and unlocked.

01): Stick key in and out of the ignition cylinder twice without turning it.

02): Close and open driver's door twice ending in open door.

03): Stick key in and out of the ignition cylinder once without turning it.

04): Close and open driver's door twice ending in open door.

05): Stick the key in the ignition cylinder.(do not remove or turn key)

06): Close driver's door.

07): Turn the key in the ignition on and off twice and remove key from the ignition. (at this point if every step was done correctly,all doors will lock and unlock twice to let you know the system entered the add mode)

08): Press both lock and unlock buttons on your remote simultaneously for one second.

09): Within three seconds press the lock button on your remote for one second and release.(vehicle will beep twice to let you know it has accepted the new remote.)

10): To exit add mode open and close door and test remote operation.

Let us know how you make out. It should cost about a total of $70 max
for parts and shipping and maybe about $20 to cut the key blank.

Last edited:

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
I appreciate all the great info guys!

I ordered a keyless entry device off ebay for $15 that I'll try to program myself using bruceb's instructions. Even if I can't get it to work, $15 isn't much to lose and I can always have the dealer as a fall back plan. I'm also going to call a couple locksmiths tomorrow and see if they copy/program transponder keys - if so, I can get an uncut key from ebay for $15 as well. I'll update this thread with my progress in the near future.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Update: the keyless entry device from ebay - $15 shipped - arrived today with instructions. It took all of 30 seconds to program it and it works perfectly. I cannot believe the dealer wanted $120 for the device alone plus a bunch more for labor. What a racket. On Monday I'm heading to a locksmith to get a copy of the key made. Not sure how much they charge, but I'm sure that too will be far less than the dealer wanted.

Thanks for the help guys!

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Just for our info, were the programming instructions that came with the Ebay remote
the same as what I posted above ? ?

acraze

Mar 7, 2012
I have a similar question. I recently bought a "used" 2010 corolla which unfortunately came with just one wireless entry key. Fixed type. We ordered a fresh one off of ebay and had it cut at a local hardware store. The physical key will unlock the doors. We programmed the wireless part ourselves and it works just fine. The problem is the new key wont actually crank the car. It will unlock/lock wireless and regularly. It will turn on the car for the radio. But it just won't crank. Any suggestions??

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I have a similar question. I recently bought a "used" 2010 corolla which unfortunately came with just one wireless entry key. Fixed type. We ordered a fresh one off of ebay and had it cut at a local hardware store. The physical key will unlock the doors. We programmed the wireless part ourselves and it works just fine. The problem is the new key wont actually crank the car. It will unlock/lock wireless and regularly. It will turn on the car for the radio. But it just won't crank. Any suggestions??

The key probably has an RFID chip in it that has to be programmed for the scanner in the ignition. Here is a very "clunky" video that explains how the transponder system works in the key and ignition. It also says how to program it if you can deal with the terrible robot prose. (Write it down)Programming RFID transponder keys

Oaktree

Apr 13, 2012
Not to hijack the thread, but I also would appreciate some feedback about a Corolla key question. I bought my 2006 Corolla new. It now has 122,000 miles on it. It came with two regular keys, two fobs, and a valet key. I have always used one particular key and fob. I keep the other regular key and fob at home as spares but have rarely used them. I store the valet key at a relative's house, so that someone could bring me a car key in case I lost mine while I was out somewhere. Yesterday, the favorite key quit working. It would not turn in the ignition to start the car. It would unlock the doors, but it would not lock them. The fob worked fine. I had to get a tow home, and the first thing I did was to try my never-used spare key in the ignition. The spare key worked fine and started the car. I then held the two keys side by side and carefully compared them, and it did look as if the more used key is worn. Some of the little bumps and ridges are a bit rounded off. I have driven the car several times now with the spare key and have had no problems, so I think there is probably nothing wrong with the ignition or with the electronics of the car. I do want to get another key made to keep as a spare, but those chipped keys are expensive. I'm thinking that my old, worn key's RFID chip probably is still functional. I'm wondering if, instead of buying a new chipped key, I could just leave that old key inside the car permanently to give the car's ignition system the okay to start. Then maybe I could just get a cheaper, non-chipped key to actually stick in the ignition. Does anyone know if that will work?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
No it won't. The ignition cylinder reads the chip and the key cuts. Why worry about it ? You have the other new key and it should easily outlive the rest of the car's expected life. If you are really worried, then you need to have a locksmith or dealer with the proper chipped key blanks make a new key.

alimazyad

Apr 25, 2012
i bought a toyota corolla 2009 (manual) (made in south africa) i lost the 2 remote keys i only have the gray key (valet key). i'm from egypt, our dealer told me that i need to change the security device and all keys, which cost (220$) labour(cost 300$), keys cost(330$) two remote key plus one valet
total cost about (850$) which about 3% from the price of a new car in our country
the question is how can i get a master key?
someone told me that i can get new one by chasset number from dealer
is it essential to cange the security device behind the dash board?

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
No it won't. The ignition cylinder reads the chip and the key cuts. Why worry about it ? You have the other new key and it should easily outlive the rest of the car's expected life. If you are really worried, then you need to have a locksmith or dealer with the proper chipped key blanks make a new key.

If he wanted to get adventurous, he could take the "bad" key and modify it to get the RFID transponder chip either out of it or close enough to get it to trigger the ignition.

The original key apparently only lasted 3 years for the OP, so they have a legitimate reason to worry about the spare. The chip is passive and probably needs to be very close to the ignition assembly, but it's worth trying.

I would probably end up doing it the right way myself, however it's always worth it to explore the less than ideal path, IMO.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
i bought a toyota corolla 2009 (manual) (made in south africa) i lost the 2 remote keys i only have the gray key (valet key). i'm from egypt, our dealer told me that i need to change the security device and all keys, which cost (220$) labour(cost 300$), keys cost(330$) two remote key plus one valet
total cost about (850$) which about 3% from the price of a new car in our country
the question is how can i get a master key?
someone told me that i can get new one by chasset number from dealer
is it essential to cange the security device behind the dash board?

They don't have to change any security device. They just have to pair new keys to the car.

You should be able to buy the blanks on eBay, and just pay the labor costs (should be 1 hour labor) and have them programmed. They are scamming the shit out of you.

I also bought keys for my Mazda on eBay and had no issue getting them programmed by the dealer. (I need 2 working sets to program one, so I had to go through them. I programmed a 3rd set myself.)

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Just be glad you still had a second set. Heard people who lost both and needed a new ignition key and ecu to work with the new set of keys. Only way to do this was through the dealer so it wasn't cheap.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Just be glad you still had a second set. Heard people who lost both and needed a new ignition key and ecu to work with the new set of keys. Only way to do this was through the dealer so it wasn't cheap.

They don't need to change the ECU, it would need to be reprogrammed with the new codes.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong. Toyota and other manufacturers require an ECU replacement to deter theft.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Found this post where they say you send in your ECU and they reprogram it to your new key.
From here (post 15) http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67787

I can program new keys into ECUs when there are no other keys available. No new parts. Just send the ECU from your car and your VIN and I can send back a working key. Much cheaper than these options!!!

Here is there contact info:

Tel: 07734 714 868

sales@keyprogrammers.com

Registered office:
20 Albion Road
New Mills
SK22 3EX
Company no.: 06409525

http://www.keyprogrammers.com

09Corolla

May 2, 2012
The key probably has an RFID chip in it that has to be programmed for the scanner in the ignition. Here is a very "clunky" video that explains how the transponder system works in the key and ignition. It also says how to program it if you can deal with the terrible robot prose. (Write it down)Programming RFID transponder keys

I have the same problem as did acraze: bought new key of ebay, had it cut, i programmed it for doors and trunk to lock and unlock but the engine wont turn over. And I tried the programming in the video suggested by Captain Howdy but it did not work for my 09 Corolla. I read somewhere the programming in the video works for older model corollas.

Acraze, did the video programming work for you?
Does anyone else have any other suggestions, programming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oaktree

Apr 13, 2012
@BruceB and Captain Howdy: It does work. I tried it. You have to hold the worn-out key with its chip right up next to the head of the chipless key when you insert the chipless key into the ignition. And Captain Howdy's point is well taken that I do need at least an emergency spare key. Occasionally I misplace my primary set of keys. I think what I will do is duct-tape the chipless key and the wornout key together, head to head. Maybe I will even saw off the shaft of the useless key. While it is not an elegant solution, it is a cheap one. I won't have to use it that often, and if something does happen to the good key, I will at least have a way to drive to the locksmith's store.

Hanna_G

Feb 12, 2016
I have the same problem as did acraze: bought new key of ebay, had it cut, i programmed it for doors and trunk to lock and unlock but the engine wont turn over. And I tried the programming in the video suggested by Captain Howdy but it did not work for my 09 Corolla. I read somewhere the programming in the video works for older model corollas.

Acraze, did the video programming work for you?
Does anyone else have any other suggestions, programming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Programming the transponder chips on these keys can be pretty tricky. I always recommend people buy electronics that they are going to program from sites that offer so amount of over the phone service. It is too late for that now, but in the future, that is what you could do. Without seeing the car and being there while you go through the process on the video, I really cannot help to troubleshoot the small details. What I can do is provide you with some plausible reasons this might not be working.

1. You may be making a slight error in how you are interpreting the process.

2. The video may not apply to your model directly, so doing what is on the video perfectly will achieve nothing. Because they update and change these procedures, this is a very good possibility.

3. There could be something wrong with your ignition or ignition computer. This would keep a working process from achieving the desired goal. I would look into replacing your ignition. Which you would easily do yourself based on the info in the link I gave. But there may be further problems with the electronics and sensors, so it might be best to take it to an auto mechanic or specialized auto locksmith. Once you take it to a professional, the cost of them not getting it right is moved off of your shoulders.

4. THIS IS THE CHEAPEST OPTION! Take the transponder chip out of your working key. Secure it to the car at a distance that will have your current key still start the engine. You have defeated the purpose of having a transponder chip by doing this, but you will never need to reprogram one ever again. Now any key that fits your ignition will start the car. Just be aware that the distance the chip needs to be from the ignition may be kind of persnickety. So experiment with the best placement, and make sure that once you have it in place you secure it nicely.

Between all of those options you should have your car running in no time!

JCanch

Mar 5, 2016
I can't find anywhere on the Net or on this forum the instructions for DIY programming of a new key transponder for my 2012 Toyota Corolla. I got the remote part of the key to work but I need the steps for using the key to start the car.

I have tried several methods on the Net that have not worked (including the one given on this forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dNCOltF7kk). I have also tried the instructions for programming a valet key (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTEgCXSJVk) without success.

I certainly do not want to spend >$90 to have the dealer program it. Any help would be appreciated.