burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I'm really interested in making a small form factor file server and BOINC 24/7 machine. I've looked at the AM1 ecosystem but it seems to be EOL and the used parts that are available are too expensive for their performance level.

Are there any plans for a cheap socketed replacement for AM1? I haven't seen any BGA or socketed Stoney Ridge or Bristol Ridge parts anywhere. It seems my best route right now is to find a used FM2+/APU combo on eBay or go Pentium G4600 / Celeron on a cheap ITX board. Any advice?

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If you need something now, Celeron + cheap ITX board would be your best bet. Cheap, socketed and sips power. Performance is also very good for the price. You may even be able to passively cool one with a large enough heat sink.

AM4 is supposed to scale that far down, but nobody outside AMD knows when actual products will show up.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Bristol Ridge hasn't been released to retail yet (I've been thinking for a while that it might never be), so for now there's no current low-end to midrange AMD platform to be had. Considering the massive jump in both performance and efficiency with the Zen architecture, I think AMD would do well to wait it out until desktop Raven Ridge arrives some time in the new year (mobile is slated for H2 2017, desktop is later).

As such, your current best option is indeed something like a H110 ITX/mATX + a Celeron/Pentium. The new hyper-threaded G45/G46xx series seems to be the value king at the moment.