Replaced lamp in Epson 8700ub projector -- there's an issue

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have been very unlucky doing this. An ebay seller's listing said it was an Osram bulb in the lamp but the one they sent me had an Ushio bulb and I returned it last week (price $81.90). I then bought another Osram bulb lamp off Amazon (price $105 or so) and it came a couple days ago but some nitwit did a numbskull job of assembling the bulb in the housing, leaving out one of the 4 tabs that hold the bulb in. The net result was that the bulb is obviously off axis by around 7 degrees, just nutty. I placed that return in the mail today.

I bought previous to those two fiascos a cheapie for ~$22 off ebay. I watched a movie the other day and was completely pleased. However, that movie was 2.35:1 and cut off the top and bottom, therefore. Today, viewing 16x9 HDTV, I see a quite darkened horizontal band at the very top ~6% of the screen. Swapping the HDTV for a 16x9 movie on DVD I see the same band. Turning the projector off, then on 20 minutes later, the problem persists. I have to think this is probably a problem with the bulb, not the projector. Am I justified in thinking that? The bulb has a 150 day warranty.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
try a test pattern? I am not sure that is a light bulb issue.
Yeah, I'm thinking that doesn't seem like it would be a bulb issue.

I can't think what a test pattern would tell me. I think that band will just appear at the top of that image. However, a test disk will surely give me something I can display that's uniform and white so I have a better look at what's going on there.

I'm thinking that somehow when I replaced the bulb last week something went wrong, maybe an LCD panel got misaligned? I took a few JPGs of what it looks like and I will post either the image in this thread or a link to it. I had the image paused on a frame that should give a good look at it. I think the band may be a reddish pink in color, one reason I'll post it. I'm partially color blind, so others looking at the image may help determine what's up with this.

How could a bulb anomaly account for an even horizontal band of about 6% of the screen real estate at the very top of the image? Seems unlikely. I hope my projector isn't history.

I have my old bulb, which seems to have lost around 60% of its brightness. I can put that back in and see if the band persists as a diagnostic technique.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try the old bulb. And a different source. Usually when the LCD panel(s) become dislodged, the whole image goes whacky. I had to rma my Mitsubishi HC4900 cuz the whole image had a green tint.​

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Try the old bulb. And a different source. Usually when the LCD panel(s) become dislodged, the whole image goes whacky. I had to email my Mitsubishi HC4900 cuz the whole image had a green tint.​
I did try a different source, first thing I did. Instead of the 16x9 HDTV image where I discovered the problem I put in a 16x9 movie via DVD played in a Blu-ray player. Same band, ergo it's the PJ, not the source. I didn't see it with my first test of the new bulb because I was watching a 2.40:1 movie, which cut off the top (and bottom) of the full image, which hides that horizontal band at the very top.

Yeah, I'll try the old bulb. Probably not today, but tomorrow.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This thread seems to be about the same issue (or very similar). There's some images shown. See Post #6, the second image of the white screen. Also an Epson PJ.

The next post in the thread, #7, is by a very knowledgeable guy who indicates that it's likely a misalignment issue, even if very slight and fixable, but he cautions that you better know what you're doing. I haven't read all of that long post yet. I may have inadvertently tweaked or nudged something when I did the bulb replacement. I was pretty careful doing the replacement, didn't think I was rough and the process was pretty easy and straight forward, however getting the old bulb out and the new one in wasn't smooth and easy. Had to jam the housing in with some force to get it into position. In doing that, I may have caused the PLC misalignment. Don't know what the PLC is yet!

Edit: At that bottom of that Post #7 he links a page that he says shows exactly what this is about and how to deal with it. He's a repair technician.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yup, could be time for new PJ (my birthday is 9 days away!!! ). However, my requirements are not everyone's. I just hit the link to the Christie and off the bat it says Perfect for lighting the largest premium theaters. However, my home theater is very small and I'm projecting from a distance so short that most PJs wouldn't work in it. I'm at 10' or less from the screen. The Epson 8700ub is great for that. Plus, it's got pretty damn awesome contrast/blacks. It's not high end, it's middle tier, but it's pretty great, totally blows my old Sanyo PLV-Z2 out of the water.

OK, today I turn on PJ to see if the bar is still there. It is noticeable but unobtrusive (see image at bottom of this post) and I watched the British Open golf tournament (16 hours!) over the weekend. So, not having made sure the bar was still there I figure I'll take a peak before doing anything (i.e. removing all the connections, taking it downstairs, etc. etc.). I see the bar immediately, but then "what's this?" About the top 20% of the screen at the top is all white, although the bar is at the top of that white zone! I try an alternate source (HDTV instead of DVD) and it's the same. I turn it off. An hour or more later I turn it on hoping at least the 2nd anomaly (which, of course, makes it unwatchable) is gone. It is gone!!! It's not the first time I've experienced some weird thing with this PJ that restarting it cured.

Well, may be time to get a new one. Thanks, sdifox for suggesting one.

Here's a look at the anomaly I'm getting that persists (although I haven't tried putting the old bulb back in or otherwise touching the PJ). Is that band pinkish? I'm partially color blind. Guess that's not the best picture to have snapped with my point and shoot. Skies are notoriously sky-blue (or cloudy or overcast...).

PxBqNKcXwgrdu6JcVscDaNWDUR8pHu3eSaTbyXooJ2sxQjUpm3ynCJtMhDDh4HfG1zB5j6TvdAs3wEmwL70brYFKRLM0gVITZhR-4U6WJlaufdcCaGSGDmUFP_qDYzermpLfrPlM1zGfZxW4vEEBtqWPzIx13sCuEy1mm3mjnsjo4DA3tH8E4C5Qyea1ND4_ETCl-BAr380B37JJV5_CoY4j7raw4N9LatNYusS_LVMvGV3cuzft3WFRLflKcPh13RTpyQHNL-UihdkangTd9zMeimZqPmy6JUcP-KjQ4JKiRHRJPo1W5Aa1QN-vDB-DFKUMQ-aNIjKESZY7-C9TkNnq27SEAjDz66DRgSHG6Nzgj8fqurDiAlPFJVrIsyOIgguh61XDlllCd3lhfJt6q95saxh4LtPAEmtVl1rHK3Nig6FNhWegKZ57SDRLCYq-O2NP8wZzCUgVHl1c2v09ZzgXk5Uex--BIN939lcryoiz8nk9oJpmp2px-LBePKYeYqRgmXXp5bjAXjUt3shObO5--gjQHmt95Lhaw4eyI2yZjdA4fm06xm0U93v-UtHQp5PSKlXodjwH-UhKddrZvfQEaYBR8B8SZEe_3QER-aKn87l16dR8=w1498-h850-no

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yup, could be time for new PJ (my birthday is 9 days away!!! ).

OK, today I turn on PJ to see if the bar is still there. It is noticeable but unobtrusive and I watched the British Open golf tournament (16 hours!) over the weekend. So, not having made sure the bar was still there I figure I'll take a peak before doing anything (i.e. removing all the connections, taking it downstairs, etc. etc.). I see the bar immediately, but then "what's this?" About the top 20% of the screen at the top is all white, although the bar is at the top of that white zone! I try an alternate source (HDTV instead of DVD) and it's the same. I turn it off. An hour or more later I turn it off hoping at least the 2nd anomaly (which, of course, makes it unwatchable) is gone. It is gone!!! It's not the first time I've experienced some weird thing with this PJ that restarting it cured.

Well, may be time to get a new one. Thanks, sdifox for suggesting one.

Here's a look at the anomaly I'm getting that persists (although I haven't tried putting the old bulb back in or otherwise touching the PJ). Is that band pinkish? I'm partially color blind. Guess that's not the best picture to have snapped with my point and shoot. Skies are notoriously sky-blue (or cloudy or overcast...).

PxBqNKcXwgrdu6JcVscDaNWDUR8pHu3eSaTbyXooJ2sxQjUpm3ynCJtMhDDh4HfG1zB5j6TvdAs3wEmwL70brYFKRLM0gVITZhR-4U6WJlaufdcCaGSGDmUFP_qDYzermpLfrPlM1zGfZxW4vEEBtqWPzIx13sCuEy1mm3mjnsjo4DA3tH8E4C5Qyea1ND4_ETCl-BAr380B37JJV5_CoY4j7raw4N9LatNYusS_LVMvGV3cuzft3WFRLflKcPh13RTpyQHNL-UihdkangTd9zMeimZqPmy6JUcP-KjQ4JKiRHRJPo1W5Aa1QN-vDB-DFKUMQ-aNIjKESZY7-C9TkNnq27SEAjDz66DRgSHG6Nzgj8fqurDiAlPFJVrIsyOIgguh61XDlllCd3lhfJt6q95saxh4LtPAEmtVl1rHK3Nig6FNhWegKZ57SDRLCYq-O2NP8wZzCUgVHl1c2v09ZzgXk5Uex--BIN939lcryoiz8nk9oJpmp2px-LBePKYeYqRgmXXp5bjAXjUt3shObO5--gjQHmt95Lhaw4eyI2yZjdA4fm06xm0U93v-UtHQp5PSKlXodjwH-UhKddrZvfQEaYBR8B8SZEe_3QER-aKn87l16dR8=w1498-h850-no

It was a joke. Do not buy the Christie Digital. It's for cinema :awe:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It was a joke. Do not buy the Christie Digital. It's for cinema :awe:
OK, yeah, I'm not about to jump on a new PJ. Even if this Epson becomes unwatchable real soon I can wait until I find something I have confidence in in terms of not resulting in buyer's regret. I can watch movies on a 23" LCD, can very likely pipe my HDTV through it too with some cabling changes. I'm not much into TV. Mostly I'm just watching golf tournaments on the weekends lately. And I still do have my old Sanyo PJ. It's inferior, but AFAIK it's still working.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
OK, yeah, I'm not about to jump on a new PJ. Even if this Epson becomes unwatchable real soon I can wait until I find something I have confidence in in terms of not resulting in buyer's regret. I can watch movies on a 23" LCD, can very likely pipe my HDTV through it too with some cabling changes. I'm not much into TV. Mostly I'm just watching golf tournaments on the weekends lately. And I still do have my old Sanyo PJ. It's inferior, but AFAIK it's still working.

That Christie Digital probably cost more than your house...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That Christie Digital probably cost more than your house...
Oh, I see. I was wondering why I saw no mention of $$$. I guess the answer is if you have to ask, the answer is "you can't afford it."

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
While I've never replaced my bulb in my projector yet, the one thing I remember reading about it is to NEVER buy non-first party bulbs because they can permanently ruin your projector for various reasons. When my bulb does eventually need replacing, I'm spending the extra $100 or whatever to get the OEM bulb.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
While I've never replaced my bulb in my projector yet, the one thing I remember reading about it is to NEVER buy non-first party bulbs because they can permanently ruin your projector for various reasons. When my bulb does eventually need replacing, I'm spending the extra $100 or whatever to get the OEM bulb.
I wish I had done that very thing. I don't remember getting that advice, however I was aware that many people were buying the OEM from the manufacturer. Were I to start from where I was 3 weeks ago knowing what I do now, I would have paid the $300 that Epson is asking. I may yet do so, in particular if I can eliminate the bar at the top.

BTW, someone with normal vision please tell me if that bar at the top is indeed pink. I can take another picture, one with white at the top if necessary. As I said, I'm "partially color blind."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes, there is still a pink bar across the top
Thank you. Well, my question was not whether it was there. If I couldn't see it I wouldn't have known there was a problem. My question was what color it is. I wasn't even sure it was pink. I figure to see what I can do concerning getting rid of that bar. This thread at AVS Forums appears to be analyzing the very same problem, likely. Is there a blue component, maybe a smallish parallel band to the pink one? I think I've thought that at times. The thread title is Epson 8100 - replaced bulb and now Pink / Blue bands.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thank you. Well, my question was not whether it was there. If I couldn't see it I wouldn't have known there was a problem. My question was what color it is. I wasn't even sure it was pink. I figure to see what I can do concerning getting rid of that bar. This thread at AVS Forums appears to be analyzing the very same problem, likely. Is there a blue component, maybe a smallish parallel band to the pink one? I think I've thought that at times. The thread title is Epson 8100 - replaced bulb and now Pink / Blue bands.

Well if you are handy and brave enough give it a shot.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well if you are handy and brave enough give it a shot.
I'll be careful. It is, after all, still usable, it just has a minor defect. I don't want to make it worse much less make it unusable. I wouldn't be as concerned if it were easily replaceable. I'm not just talking about money. That PJ is exceptional, they made it from 2010-2012. It has exceptional contrast ratio of 200,000:1 plus the for-me obligatory and pretty rare ability to have a throw distance of 9.5 feet. That's about the upper limit for me in my home theater room without busting a wall. I can maybe squeeze 3-4 inches more if I bust out the back of my home made bookcase. Epson makes another PJ now that would work but it has less contrast rating of 160,000:1. It wasn't smart of me to try a non-OEM bulb in this thing. If I can fix this, I'm getting an OEM bulb for it going forward.