Replaced CPU, now computer won't boot up

Underwood

Sep 15, 2004
I had to change the CPU on my girlfriend's computer (long story). Anyway, I changed the CPU out without incident but now when I turn the computer on it doesn't boot up. Everything seems to turn on as normal but I can't hear the HD spinning etc. I've tried resetting the bios but that didn't help.

The CPU I changed is the same speed, model, etc of the one that was in there.
P4 3.0 GHz
1 gig Ram
120 GB HD
Elite Group mobo (from Fry's)
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4236584?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If you need any more info let me know.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
What is the (drum roll) brand and model of the power supply, and what GPU does this system have? Thinking power issues here, it helps to know what the entire load is.

Underwood

Sep 15, 2004
Antec 350W PS...
128mb GeForce 4 (Generic)

I don't think it's a power issue otherwise it would have done this before... this just started happening after I changed the CPU

jehurey

Oct 15, 2004
did you connect the fan's power connection to the motherboard?, if so, then you have to verfiy that your connect the cpu properly in its socket, which is something you better hope you did right the first time, because if not, then you'll have another problem on your hands tonight.

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
All you did was replace a cpu with the exact same model of cpu? Maybe it would help if you explained why the swap was done in the first place? Was there a problem with the system when you had the other cpu in it? Will it boot with the old cpu now?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It may be a long story, but i think without knowing why you replaced the cpu in the first place, we'll never be able to troubleshoot this for you.

Underwood

Sep 15, 2004
The reason I changed out the CPU was because my girlfriend's computer was randomly shutting down. I posted on here and most people suggested that it was heat related. I went and bought a Zalman's heatsink to change out the CPU heatsink but when I removed the old heatsink it pulled the processor off with it bending a few corner pins in the process. One of the pins was bent to the point that it could not be bent straight and where the CPU wouldn't mount to the motherboard. I bought another CPU that was the same model, everything, and installed CPU checking everything multiple times to make sure it was mounted correctly, etc. Everything is connected as it should be and all the fans start up I just can't here the hard drive spinning and nothing comes up on screen.

fuzzynavel

Sep 10, 2004
CPU should lift out without using much force at all.......how the hell did you manage to bend the pins to the point of no return.......force like that will destroy not only your CPU but possibly the MOBO too.....

Underwood

Sep 15, 2004
It didn't use much force, the heatsink that was on there used 'springs' where you pushed down on two button/springs, tilted the heatsink in the opposite direction, then did the same thing to the other side to remove the heatsink. When I tilted the heatsink to the side it took the processor with it.... bending two or three pins on one corner.

Genesis15

Banned
Mar 20, 2005
Yo underwood same stuff happened to me dog... Take everything out!! EVERYTHING, try replacing the PSU too that helped mine. And reset the CMOS. Play around with some wires for a little bit put everything back in and it should work.

Genesis15

Banned
Mar 20, 2005
And BTW thats not a good way to get your heatsink off, take ur fingers and pull one part at a time.

Laputa

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
Fan connector needs to be on and the 12v power connector needs to be connected. U probably yank them out when you remove the chip and forgot to connect it/them back.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Start removing things that aren't necessary for the computer to boot.

I'd start with that hard drive you can't hear.

wseyller

May 16, 2004
When you say it doesn't boot what do you mean? Does anything output to the monitor? Can you get into the bios? Do you get any beeps from the pc speaker? Try Reset Cmos jumper. Did you apply the thermal compound on the cpu? Those prescotts get really hot. Make sure cpu is seated correctly and that no pins are bent. There should be no force needed to install the cpu. It should just fall in. Make sure heatsink is seated correctly. Make sure you plugged in the 12v 4-pin power connector from the power supply into the mobo (will not post without that). Try removing all components that you don't need to post. Remove any harddrives, cdrom drives, sound cards.

Underwood

Sep 15, 2004
I've tried resetting the CMOS jumper, nothing is output to the screen, no beeps... just the all the fans starting up

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
are you sure that the FSB of the new chip is the same as the old. In my experience a non-boot (with fans running) is most of the time a FSB issue (not set correct for the current chip). The P4 3.0GHz come in both 533MHz FSB and 800MHz FSB. If you bought the 800MHz FSB (more common now) and the mobo doesn't support it, it won't boot.

Underwood

Sep 15, 2004
Siliconhills,
That's a good point, when I get home today I'll double check it. The original CPU's FSB was 800MHz which the mobo supports so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm going to take the computer apart tonight and see if I can figure out what is causing the problem.

chachster

Sep 20, 2003
Also, make sure the heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU. I've had this almost bite me before and took the suggestion of removing the heatsink and putting it back on. I would have the light on the motherboard come on and the heatsink fan would spin, but would not POST. I did reapply some thermal compound after reapplying the heatsink. Just an idea.