Replace a burned out roof fan from inside the attic instead of going on roof? (PIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so my roof fan burned out on my 2 story townhouse.

Benefits%20of%20an%20attic%20fan.jpg

I don't want climb on the roof.

my attic just has joists, no floor.

can I just nail a 1x6 piece of wood on the floor where the extension ladder would go, and replace the fan from the inside?

if not, can I replace the motor from the inside?

Last edited:

jaha2000

Jul 28, 2008
so my roof fan burned out on my 2 story townhouse.

Benefits%20of%20an%20attic%20fan.jpg

I don't want climb on the roof.

my attic just has joists, no floor.

can I just nail a 1x6 piece of wood on the floor where the extension ladder would go, and replace the fan from the inside?

if not, can I replace the motor from the inside?

Take a pic of it, but even one I have seen has a nail flange that goes on the outside that interfaces with the shingles so it does not leak.

you second question, I would also say no. The motor and fan are probably 1 part. There will be a piece of hardware screen between the attic and the fan to keep critters out of your attic.

Getting on the roof is probably the only way to do it.

As a second point, if you actually have a properly sized ridged vent, not real sure what this thing is actually doing for you. When my roof was redone, we removed all the crap and just went with the ridge vent. Probably matters where you live I suppose.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Most roof fans I have seen allow motor replacement from the attic. It's pretty common for the motor to go out. Most big box stores can order the part for you.
Climb into the attic and snap some pics of the fan. Look for model numbers and serial numbers.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I agree jaha2000 if there are ridge vents then why do you need a roof fan also. I have 2 ridge vents on my roof and no other fan installed.
ridge vent wasn't cooling enuf.
w/the attic fan, my bedroom fell ~4F at bedtime at same thermostat setting.

Most roof fans I have seen allow motor replacement from the attic. It's pretty common for the motor to go out. Most big box stores can order the part for you.
Climb into the attic and snap some pics of the fan. Look for model numbers and serial numbers.
thx.
after 10yrs, home depot still had the same model, Masterflow 'Pro 1'. :eek: (but updated w/capacitor.)
unfortunately, I couldn't just buy the motor. had to buy the whole thing. :(

removed old motor/fan from attic and put in new motor/fan.
took an hr. I tried to not to bend the support arms while removing the motor/fan but gave up and bent it.

unbent the support arm as best I could when I put in the new motor/fan.

hopefully the fan doesn't wobble now.
i'll know in a few hrs when the attic gets hot enuf for the fan to turn on.

now what to do w/the extra flange kit/dome?

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
wow.. thx for finding it!

hm.. from the reviews:
This replacement was an easy swap once I realized that it has to come out from up top. No room to maneuver it around the mounting straps from below with fan in place.

so I need to be on the roof, which I don't want to do.
i'll pay the extra $20 to be able to replace it from within the attic

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
fan blade got stuck on support arm.
too hot in attic right now to fix it.
will try tonite or tomorrow morning.

should have spun the blades at least once.
damn it :(

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
don't know if it was the bent support arm that I didn't unbend back perfectly or the fact that I dropped the new fan (from 3' height) that made it out of whack.

or a combo of both.

tried to move the support arm a little to see if that would help the blades clear it.
nope.
it was much easier to move the blades a little to clear the support arm.

lets see what happens this afternoon when the attic gets hot enuf to turn the fan on.

Status
Not open for further replies.