Question Repairing disk errors...

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I got "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" after my PC failed to boot properly 3 times in a row. It would go to Windows but as programs started to run, it would just freeze up. My C drive is on an SSD. Could this be one of my hdd storage drives causing this? Anything I can do here or shall I just let it run? It's been going for 2 hours.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I tried reinstalling Windows and everything seemed fine but then it crashed and went no further.
This is what I get on HD Tune Pro.
16-May-2022_02-08.jpg

So, my questions are...
1. Is this SSD finished? Can it be somehow restored to be used again? Sorry about the ignorance but I know that there are no platters or lasers so I have no knowledge of how these drives degrade.
2. If I do have to reinstall Windows on a new drive how will I validate/verify the install? Isn't it tied to the installation harddrive?
3. Is it even worth it to install Windows on an SSD? This is massively disruptive to my workflow. And in 25 years of having a home computer I've never had a Windows install on a hdd cause me problems. When problems occurred it was slowly evident that the hdd was failing, not like this that just died from one second to the next.

Thanks for any help!

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Just replace it. Win 10 won't even aak you to validate. Get a one TB at least.
Yeah, I figured...
So other than speed is SSD really better than HDD for a C drive? This is the first SSD for Windows I've ever had and it died so abruptly. Is that just the nature of SSD or was that just a coincidence? I feel like HDDs I've had that have died have shown subtle signs as they degraded. Or am I wrong and that's all in my head?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, I figured...
So other than speed is SSD really better than HDD for a C drive? This is the first SSD for Windows I've ever had and it died so abruptly. Is that just the nature of SSD or was that just a coincidence? I feel like HDDs I've had that have died have shown subtle signs as they degraded. Or am I wrong and that's all in my head?

How old is it and how full was it? SSD should last longer than hdd, but then there are horror stories as well.

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
Windows 10/11 are awful to use on a HDD, would definitely not recommend. But yes, SSDs do tend to fail with little or no warning vs the clicking that usually happens with HDDs

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Windows 10/11 are awful to use on a HDD, would definitely not recommend. But yes, SSDs do tend to fail with little or no warning vs the clicking that usually happens with HDDs
So what's the strategy then to keep on top of SSD health? Surely someone's figured out a test that can be run monthly or something?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
How old is it and how full was it? SSD should last longer than hdd, but then there are horror stories as well.
It was from about 2015. 65-70% full.
Any recommendations on an SSD? Are all the brands ok now or is it really just a Samsung game?

Last edited:

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
Not sure of anything that can predict impending failure. Keep backups which you should do anyway.

Samsung 870 Evo and Crucial MX500 are probably some of the better 2.5" drives. Samsung 970/980 and WD Black are my go tos for m2

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Crucial MX500 for sata, NVME is a bit more complicated
Crucials have always scared me but I have no data to quantify that irrational fear. :laughing:
NVME seems to me to be something I wouldn't benefit from speedwise in my particular case.
Not sure of anything that can predict impending failure. Keep backups which you should do anyway.
I'll start keeping backups of my C drive. I don't typically because there's so little there I can't just reinstall anyway.

Any way I can rescue the documents folder of the bad Windows install? Some program saves there I'd like to salvage.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Crucials have always scared me but I have no data to quantify that irrational fear. :laughing:
NVME seems to me to be something I wouldn't benefit from speedwise in my particular case.

I'll start keeping backups of my C drive. I don't typically because there's so little there I can't just reinstall anyway.

Any way I can rescue the documents folder of the bad Windows install? Some program saves there I'd like to salvage.

You can still access the drive right? NVME is a lot faster than sata SSD.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
You can still access the drive right? NVME is a lot faster than sata SSD.
I can but I don't know where the Documents folder is. Can't see it. The one usually under "users"
If NVME is that much faster maybe I should look at that? I've got a B450 Tomahawk Max. Documentation says I have 1 x M.2 slot (Key M)
  • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s
  • Supports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices
Also says though that the use of that M2 slot disables two of my SATA ports, which I need.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Replace and recover data from it.

I have a few SSD's pushing 20 yo and one that has some errors coming up on it at this point but, it's a smaller drive @ 128GB and Samsung OEM.

M2 will be about the same price @ 1TB for a Gen3 which will do 3GB/s R/W

To retrieve your documents or any other windows folder use a Linux boot drive and it bypasses all the windows security BS that you can't currently see data.

It could be something as simple as a loose SATA cable though on either end as that will make things act funny and not work correctly. Check both ends and to be sure just flip it 180 degrees as that forces you to reseat both ends.

Since data is acting up when you get your new M2 just do a fresh install instead of trying to clone it or anything. If you're savvy you can grab a Windows image that already has most of the current patches installed. 22H2 is what you're looking for.

Brands... they're all a bit subjective at this point unless you're looking for something particular. Phison makes the controllers for most drives at this point and they work well. If you're caught up in the name game WD has some nice drives at a cheaper than Samsung price. I'm using their Gen4 WD Black SN850's on a couple of systems and they just scream along through data. Gen3 though I'm using a PNY CS3030 which holds its weight pretty well. I've also got a couple of BPX Pro drives that have been working well for a couple of years 24/7.

I find through research to get the best experience going with a 1TB+ is your goal for warranty as most come with 5 years and the TBW threshold is higher for longer durability. I'm using one of the SN850's on my server and only use 100GB of space but, the specs on the datasheet influenced the move with that one. I also have one in my laptop running W11 that boots in ~10 seconds or less.

From what you said though the SSD you're using shouldn't have died so quickly or caused issues. They're designed to last 5-10 years at a minimum. Usually it's a cabling issue or something benign causing the issue.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Well this is annoying...
I sort of went back a bit through notes here and wanted to determine whether it could all simply be a cable.

So I replaced the power cable. I then decided to try reinstalling Windows from an installer flash drive.
I am currently using Win10 again, on that SSD drive, and Windows has gone through its setup with no problems. I have yet to have any issues. Rebooted and rebooted several times while setting up Windows with no issues whatsoever. In fact, the system is flying, more than it was before but that could easily be either placebo or just coincidence.

So...
1. I've lost my last Windows. Pain in the ass. Any way I can do an instant relink of my former desktop shortcuts to their new drive location or is it a program shortcut by program shortcut job?
2. Why can't I give my storage drives the letters they have before? Disk management annoyingly won't let me choose those letters. I feel like it would make shortcuts easier to re-access.
3. How do I know FOR SURE that there is nothing actually wrong with this drive? I feel like I really need to confirm this before getting comfortable again with it.

Thank you, of course, all of you, for your input and guidance.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Do you still have your documents? Back them up to another drive first.
Well "documents" as in excel, word and pdf things that are important I don't keep on C anyway. I meant the Documents folder with game and program saves, and also the Local and Roaming ones. Those are all safe now, yes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well "documents" as in excel, word and pdf things that are important I don't keep on C anyway. I meant the Documents folder with game and program saves, and also the Local and Roaming ones. Those are all safe now, yes.

Then keep using the ssd if it is behaving correctly. Windows needs a rebuild now and then. Best practice is in fact assume you can lose a drive anytime and just backup all your important files regularly. Backing up programs is a waste of drive space and time.

You can create shortcuts again I guess.

You can reassign drive letters as long as the target drive letter is not already used.

You could also get a new ssd and just use the current one as a scratch drive.

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
You can reassign drive letters as long as the target drive letter is not already used.

You could also get a new ssd and just use the current one as a scratch drive.
Yeah, I thought so on the drive letters but the letter I wanted isn't there. And not in use anywhere else. Bizarre.
What is a scratch drive?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, I thought so on the drive letters but the letter I wanted isn't there. And not in use anywhere else. Bizarre.
What is a scratch drive?

What do you mean not there? It must have been assigned already or you would be able to pick it.
Scratch as in temporary storage. Stuff like download and swapfile can go on there.

Surprisingly the ssds are more expensive than the pcie3 NVMEs on amazon.

This explains what I was talking about regards to nvme murkiness

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
just need to avoid the ones you know they pulled bait and switch. I have the good ADATA SX8200 Pro. The Sabrent I linked is a decent one.

Thanks for all your advice and input (as always). I'm having trouble finding real world opinions of what NVMEs do for day to day desktop operations and productivity. Everyone talks about their benefits for networking, design software, etc. I don't like installing games on C drives so I won't see any benefit there. Plus most games load once and then don't access the drive much after that. Just wondering if to me they're worth it or not and not finding good useful opinions of regular use. Plus I'll lose two SATA ports.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I don't like installing games on C drives
Partition the drive into 100GB for Windows and use the rest for storage.

1652898886205.png

Pretty easy to do and lets you keep things on the primary drive for the speed benefits while segregating it from Windows if you decide to blow it away and start over. Or, get 2 of them and size the windows one @ 128/256GB and bulk up the storage one to 1-2TB if that's the space you need. If you only have 1 slot then there's an option to add a PCI card to make more slots depending on how many drives you want to use. Single slots are best for Intel based installs that don't support bifurcation but, on the AMD side you can add up to 4 NVME drives with a card for ~$100 providing them with x4 per drive.

If you already have a drive w/ Windows installed you can resize it using Linux boot USB and move things around painlessly using gparted. Or if you prefer you can get software that runs in windows to move things around too.