Repairing cards

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I had a leak in my water-loop and a droplet of water fell on my 980Ti until now I didn't even think about repairing it because I don't believe it is possible but I'll ask anyway. Is there any chance to repair a card that had a droplet of water fall on it that caused a shortage? There was no smoke and no burnt electronics smell. I had the same thing happen to a Titan but in that case there was both the smoke and the smell. In case of my 980Ti there was none of that and there isn't any visible sign of damage. Do you think the card can be repaired? I just bought another 980Ti but it would be great if I could repair my current one because two cards in SLI are better than one.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Before you bake it I would strip it down and soak it in 90% isoprophyl alcohol and rub all the traces clean. You may just have a short caused by the dried up solids left when the water evaporated. With that said baking isn't going to help you because it isn't a solder flow problem that caused your card to stop working.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Before you bake it I would strip it down and soak it in 90% isoprophyl alcohol and rub all the traces clean. You may just have a short caused by the dried up solids left when the water evaporated. With that said baking isn't going to help you because it isn't a solder flow problem that caused your card to stop working.

That's what I thought. I already cleaned it with IPA it was the first thing I did after I checked the card. There was literally just a droplet of water on it so I doubt it left any traces.
Thanks for the help, I'll try to clean it again.