Repair option not available from WIN XP CD?

sekser

Jul 4, 2000
Once in a great while, when trying to do a repair install, the R is not available when booting off the CD. The R for Recovery console is there, but not the 2nd repair option.

Any ideas why this happens sometimes?

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I have not ever booted from the CD and it hasn't asked if i wanted
1) the repair console (press R)
2) to repair an installation (a few seconds later)

Have you let it run its course?

redbeard1

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
There are different versions of all Windows products. XP has oem, retail and volume. Retail versions allows for a repair install. The other two may or may not depending on how they were licensed to the manufacturer by Microsoft. The install and repair behavior is set by a file in the I386 folder called setupp.ini. There is a way to change this behavior by editing this file. Internet searches for info on the setupp.ini file explains how.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I've used oem discs to do repair installs on retail copies, as well as oem keys from major manufacturers (dell, hp, etc.).

My guess is either the installed copy is a volume license key (a.k.a. probably pirated), or mis-matched home vs. pro.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
OEM's and other "version" of XP have the repair install option as well. When you don't see the 2nd repair option the windows install is usually hosed. I sometimes have success running a recovery console repair (chkdsk /r) first, and after it's completed restart the computer and try running a repair install (enter, f8, r). If the repair install is still not available back up the data and do a clean install.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only "repair" jobs that I've been happy with are changing MBs/CPUs.
Any other repairs that I've tried have ended up in a reformat & reload anyway.
* Repair because of upgraded components - :thumbsup:
* Repair because of OS problems - :thumbsdown:

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Go a couple screens further in. Just before you select which partition to install Windows into, it'll scan for previous versions and give you an option to repair.

redbeard1

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
OEM's and other "version" of XP have the repair install option as well.

The other two may or may not depending on how they were licensed to the manufacturer by Microsoft.

I think all three versions usually have the quick repair option available when booting from the CD. But the cheaper the computer they came with, the better chance that the available options will be limited. OEM's pay MS for how many features and options they want their disk to have.

However, they all will not have the an option to do a repair install over the top to save and use the existing install. OEM will usually overwrite your Windows folder so none of you old software will run, though I've seen a few that will allow it. Retail will allow you to do a real repair install over the top over and save an existing install.

kobymu

Mar 21, 2005
It happened to my once, and after about 5 minutes of head scratching I realized was trying to rapier a SP2 winXP and the CD was a an original XP (without SP integrated).
After I integrated the SP2 to a new CD the repair option suddenly reappeared.

/edit
goddamn grammar

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: sekser
Once in a great while, when trying to do a repair install, the R is not available when booting off the CD. The R for Recovery console is there, but not the 2nd repair option.

Any ideas why this happens sometimes?

If the registry on the previous version is corrupted in certain ways, the installer will not recognize the previous install. As such, the repair option won't be available. Best to use the recovery console to roll back the registry from system restore and then try again.

Bill

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Blain
The only "repair" jobs that I've been happy with are changing MBs/CPUs.
Any other repairs that I've tried have ended up in a reformat & reload anyway.
* Repair because of upgraded components - :thumbsup:
* Repair because of OS problems - :thumbsdown:

I've done repair installs that saved OS problems. Once the usb drivers were all goofed up, and another time some malware or something screwed up the SP2 update. Both times a repair install fixed them. It's always worth the shot, if it doesn't work you're not in any worse shape.

sekser

Jul 4, 2000
thanks for all the input. I want to believe when this happens the install on the HD is toast, that's why the 2nd Repair option isn't available. I'll try to the recovery console chkdsk /r next time this happens and see if it works.