Rep. Westmoreland (GA) - Obama "uppity"

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: ayabe
I've lived in FL my whole life and I know for sure, precisely what "uppity" means. There is no context that can be provided that will alter its meaning.
Then I suggest you start reading my links and educate yourself.

All of them were from BEFORE this who thing came to light.
And several of them are from foreign countries!!!! Damn racists all over the world it seems.

I guess that would make sense if you ignored the history of slavery and race relations in this country. But our history is our own and it's something we deal with every day. So trying to excuse this by using examples from other countries, is, another PJ diversion.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Let's frame this another way.

For the apologists:

How many of you would go up to a black person and call them uppity to their face?

Not a single one of you would, because you know what would happen, you would be picking up your teeth.

So, that's that. It is perceived as a negative by its intended target and thus IS racist, and IS offensive.

Thanks.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Can uppity ever be used in a context that is NOT racist??

Good question. When a white politician is speaking about a black man the answer is no. Historically this is not a word one can use disassociative from it's etymology, anymore than a white person can say a black person needs a good "lynching".

You guys complain about how Republicans trample on the constitution, but then you run around acting as the thought police.

You understand that the 1st amendment is about preventing the GOVERNMENT from CENSORING people, and not the public from expressing their displeasure at an elected politician's comments? Talk about backwards. The 1st amendment was explicitly written so that we can do exactly what we are doing now, condemning someone for their speech. We have no power to censor him before he speaks, only criticize him afterwards. Free speech doesn't mean speech without consequence.

Now, inquiring as mayor whether a librarian would have any objection to an order to ban books, now that's a free speech issue.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

The term "uppity," as the etymology defines it, comes from blacks themselves. Do you not get that part or do you ignore it because it doesn't fit into your narrative of screaming "RACIST!"

And N word is used in casual conversation between blacks nowadays, but it is still a highly charged racist term in the context of non-black using it to denigrate blacks. So your point is, per usual, nowhere near the mark.

Let me put it this way. Would you consider it racist if a black person refers to a white guy a redneck?

It's not the same thing, as blacks and whites have a polar opposite history of racism and bigotry. I occasionally hear this backwards logic from people, but what these people fail to understand is that the standards are completely different for blacks and whites in the U.S., entirely because of our long history of slavery and, as a by-product, racism. This is stuff you'd learn in an Intro to Ethnic Studies class.

Do you consider it racist if a black guy refers to another as an "Uncle Tom?" I seriously doubt you would. This "uppity" issue is more about knee-jerk reactions than anything else. Not surprisingly it's being trotted around by the group of usual suspects that have way too much sensitivity and far too little sense. And those same suspects even make excuses when someone on their side uses a term like "black BOY" which demonstrates how partisan in nature this entire issue really is.

Again, the contexts are entirely different; there is a long, sad, and dark history of physical and verbal violence by whites against blacks in this country's history, especially in the deep South. The fact that a congressman from Georgia didn't know/understand how offensive his use of a well-known southern slur (uppity) in reference to a black person would be, is telling of his ignorance. Even more telling is that he wouldn't apologize for it. He doesn't understand the history of his state or this country very well if he isn't sensitized to our long history of oppression of blacks. And normally, those who do not understand this history whatsoever continue to tout the notion that since some blacks call other blacks the N word, that somehow it shouldn't be a big deal that whites call them the N word. I've heard such lunacy, and your reasoning WRT uppity isn't far from it.

So continue down your warpath of partisan hackery if you like and blow this all out of proportion. Apparently you're too stupid to see how transparently moronic you are about so I doubt anything I say will sink into your thick head anyway.

Again, you aren't that sharp or well educated on these matters, so this isn't surprising. This smacks of the same desperation you showed in stubbornly sticking to your guns about how you'd kill Osama Bin Laden before trying to extract information from him, simply out of a need for revenge. Then, like now, you just don't put a lot of thought into your posts. To each his own.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

The term "uppity," as the etymology defines it, comes from blacks themselves. Do you not get that part or do you ignore it because it doesn't fit into your narrative of screaming "RACIST!"

And N word is used in casual conversation between blacks nowadays, but it is still a highly charged racist term in the context of non-black using it to denigrate blacks. So your point is, per usual, nowhere near the mark.
And what is the etymology of the N word? I don't believe it came from blacks calling each other that, which is why the origin of usage comes into play in this scenario. So your point falls flat on its face because you ignore those little niggling details.

Let me put it this way. Would you consider it racist if a black person refers to a white guy a redneck?

It's not the same thing, as blacks and whites have a polar opposite history of racism and bigotry. I occasionally hear this backwards logic from people, but what these people fail to understand is that the standards are completely different for blacks and whites in the U.S., entirely because of our long history of slavery and, as a by-product, racism. This is stuff you'd learn in an Intro to Ethnic Studies class.
Right. Only white people can be racist. Thanks for proving yourself to be a blindered moron.

Do you consider it racist if a black guy refers to another as an "Uncle Tom?" I seriously doubt you would. This "uppity" issue is more about knee-jerk reactions than anything else. Not surprisingly it's being trotted around by the group of usual suspects that have way too much sensitivity and far too little sense. And those same suspects even make excuses when someone on their side uses a term like "black BOY" which demonstrates how partisan in nature this entire issue really is.

Again, the contexts are entirely different; there is a long, sad, and dark history of physical and verbal violence by whites against blacks in this country's history, especially in the deep South. The fact that a congressman from Georgia didn't know/understand how offensive his use of a well-known southern slur (uppity) in reference to a black person would be, is telling of his ignorance. Even more telling is that he wouldn't apologize for it. He doesn't understand the history of his state or this country very well if he isn't sensitized to our long history of oppression of blacks. And normally, those who do not understand this history whatsoever continue to tout the notion that since some blacks call other blacks the N word, that somehow it shouldn't be a big deal that whites call them the N word. I've heard such lunacy, and your reasoning WRT uppity isn't far from it.
The context is that you continue to conflate "racial" and "racist." You completely FAIL to comprehend that one does not imply the other.

So continue down your warpath of partisan hackery if you like and blow this all out of proportion. Apparently you're too stupid to see how transparently moronic you are about so I doubt anything I say will sink into your thick head anyway.
Again, you aren't that sharp or well educated on these matters, so this isn't surprising. This smacks of the same desperation you showed in stubbornly sticking to your guns about how you'd kill Osama Bin Laden before trying to extract information from him, simply out of a need for revenge. Then, like now, you just don't put a lot of thought into your posts. To each his own.
lol. Your elitist bullshit and complete arrogance blinds you to facts, reasoning, and comprehension. Go back to schol and learn some more if you actually are idiotic enough to believe that's where true knowledge comes from.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

For the apologists:

How many of you would go up to a black person and call them uppity to their face?

Not a single one of you would, because you know what would happen, you would be picking up your teeth.

So, that's that. It is perceived as a negative by its intended target and thus IS racist, and IS offensive.

Thanks.

Very well put; however I'm sure it is well beyond the comprehension of arrogant jackasses like TLC.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: feralkid

For the apologists:

Thanks.
Very well put; however I'm sure it is well beyond the comprehension of arrogant jackasses like TLC.
If a black, latino, white, asian, or any other guy is uppity I wouldn't hesitate to tell them so.

Apparently that's beyond the comprehension of many of the arrogant jackasses in here.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA
Uppity is now a racial term? Are you friggen kidding me? lol, you libs are unbelieveable.

Originally posted by: sammyunltd
Democrats are so full of ****, so pathetic. There is no racist connotation in Westmoreland's statement. Himself confirmed this, not too long ago.

Do you need more? Seriously, stop trying to find beef where there is none. It is not because the guy's not supporting Obama that he is automatically racist.

Furthermore, there is no racist connotation, as proven by Wikitionary.

Please, now Democrats, start winning elections fairly, stop trying to play the race or discrimination or victim card because that ain't gonna help you, as McCain is blowing Obama away after both conventions in the poll. People ain't buying your sh*t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIT_SQKzYE

"Uppity? Not good Congressman. All kinds of bad racial connotations there. You should apologize." - Liberal Democrat Newsman Bill Fucking O'Reilly

Good job O'Reilly. He just reminded us that he's the best journalist in the USA at the moment.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: CPA
Uppity is now a racial term? Are you friggen kidding me? lol, you libs are unbelieveable.

Democrats are so full of ****, so pathetic. There is no racist connotation in Westmoreland's statement. Himself confirmed this, not too long ago.

Do you need more? Seriously, stop trying to find beef where there is none. It is not because the guy's not supporting Obama that he is automatically racist.

Furthermore, there is no racist connotation, as proven by Wikitionary.

Please, now Democrats, start winning elections fairly, stop trying to play the race or discrimination or victim card because that ain't gonna help you, as McCain is blowing Obama away after both conventions in the poll. People ain't buying your sh*t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIT_SQKzYE

"Uppity? Not good Congressman. All kinds of bad racial connotations there. You should apologize." - Liberal Democrat Newsman Bill Fucking O'Reilly

Dang that uppity librul news media

:shocked: