Rep. Ilhan Omar slams Barack Obama's message of 'hope and change' as a 'mirage'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
You can find legit pie charts which cover all spending. They're all over the place. "Food and agriculture" - which contains more than just food stamps - is 4% of the total, not 1%.

Just look at the chart in the politifact article debunking the other chart.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...art-federal-spending-circulating-internet-mi/

Either way, food stamps (AKA SNAP) costs about $70 billion. It's around 1/10th of our current military budget.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

1/10th of the budget of employing tons of people across a multittude of braches of military - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard, Coast Guard, Reserves, etc...

Don't act as-if that is small change. One performs actions daily in which they are compensated. The other is the exact opposite.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
1/10th of the budget of employing tons of people across a multittude of braches of military - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard, Coast Guard, Reserves, etc...

Don't act as-if that is small change. One performs actions daily in which they are compensated. The other is the exact opposite.

I made no judgment whatsoever about what is "small." There's no point in using words to quantify when you have numbers, and of course when it comes to words one person says small and the other says huge.

It's $70b. About 3%. People can decide for themselves how significant that is. There are many more costly programs, and also many less costly ones.

For example, we only spend $20 billion on NASA. I think that should triple.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Many on food stamps work, so you could just look at it as the government giving people more because the government feels like the poors aren't being compensated enough by the private sector.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Your stereotyping anyone on SNAP is getting old. Everyone I know on government food assistance works a legit job. Hell, for years my family of four made $2k over the qualifying limit, I would've applied otherwise. We lived pay check to pay check, saving what we could when we could, which wasn't much.

Your willful ignorance is expected, and you're not alone. This stereotype is a common misconception WRT SNAP. But hey, don't Google it or anything....btw, it varies state to state.

Go ahead and review my states website

https://www.mass.gov/snap-benefits-formerly-known-as-food-stamps

Feeding people is paramount. If you've ever been hungry, like really hungry, you'd know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkswordsman17

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013

Would you be for private employers being forced to repay the government for SNAP and other benefits their employees receive to make ends meet?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...s-wants-amazon-pay-up/?utm_term=.b1b12f40080e

Reactions: Homerboy
Mar 11, 2004
The heart of the Republican agenda isn't to privatize Social Security, but to eliminate it entirely while still keeping the payroll tax, which is the perfect flat tax.
That's why Slow the Clown referred to Social Security beneficiaries, people who have paid into Social Security their entire working lives, as freeloaders. How dare they demand to get back what they paid for and were promised?

I disagree, in that, their way of eliminating it is to have it go towards enriching investment banks and other middlemen (absolutely they don't give a shit about what social security is there for, but they also know they can't actually get rid of it without it being fully apparent that they're psychopaths, so, like much else, their plan is to use it to aid and abet the people helping enrich them above all else).

I also am highly doubtful they actually want a flat tax, as that would be worse than how they've let the wealthy game the system already. I think that is just lies and misdirection so they can prop up their bullshit claim that they're for equality.

And I think they'd absolutely prefer to privatize it and get rid of the government side entirely, including oversight of how those private entities manage it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
All government's role should be is to ensure that people have that opportunity.

Well now aside from the strawmen and begging the question, here's something interesting. So given the science, that is the truth not your alternative Trump universe, you would rather wipe out all higher life on the planet. You also are an anarchist by that statement because there are no courts, no law office, no public works AND no military. Very Ayn Rand of you.

So let's limit this to something for which I'm not sure has a word, "planetcide"? I mean it's an opportunity for you and others to wipe out our species and far far more, destroying the global ability for Earth to be much higher on an evolutionary scale of the Age of Plants. Why do you want that? Handicap for you. You can't argue with strawmen, beg the question (look that up as I'm not sure you know what that really means) nor bring flat earthers, anti-vaxxer equivalent science and "scientists". The vast consensus by those qualified and with data to support their views is against these quacks and yes consensus is important as it is in every major field. "I don't believe in gravitation" doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. Here too is strong science that oxygen production will likely be cut to levels unable to support human life and everything else too. Also a concern is the point of no return, when nothing can be done by human effort to stop and reverse warming and the effects and so we head to a new equilibrium which will kill even more.

But you don't know or wish to. You are blindly fixated on "opportunity", like a convict thinking how good his last meal is before execution.