Rep. Eliot Engel(D-NY) Only Came For The Primary

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's funny to see Starbuck rush in here to furiously concern troll only to see that Democrats actually dislike this and want to vote the guy out.

Now he's confused but is still trying to concern troll anyway because, well, that's the playbook.
What I find funny is Republicans thinking that the prospect of a Democrat getting primaried means they have a chance at winning a Cook PVI D+24 district.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What I find funny is Republicans thinking that the prospect of a Democrat getting primaried means they have a chance at winning a Cook PVI D+24 district.

Almost up there with the florid hallucinations I've seen from some about Rs winning AOC's district.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Notice nobody is defending this. Unlike the cadre of Trumptards who defend almost everything he does.

Don't you hate it when only Democrats stand on their principles
Engel didn’t give you any field to work with to move the goal posts, hence your whataboutism

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And your's is denigration and mocking.

I would ask you to consider the possibility that facts are often taken as insults because someone hearing those facts and aware of how if those facts were true about them, would feel insulted by empathetic projection. The wisdom that comes from knowing you hate yourself is that you have an opportunity over and over again, to see this at work personally. Once you realize that you feel like the worst person in the world you can begin to see that the reason things feel insulting is because you walk around with a deep and unconscious feeling that whatever negative things that are said about you are true. This is the source of much violence and what makes it impossible to rationally assess ourselves. Everything gets a lot easier if you know you walk around with an unconscious feeling you are a piece of shit. It opens the door to know the real reason you have been triggered, and also, remember too that there isn't anything really wrong with us except we don't believe that.

Reactions: dank69

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would expect this to be the attitude of most politicians.

If that is true, then I say we shouldn't have politicians at all. But I don't think that is true, either. Do you truly believe it? If so, what are you doing about your tyrannical government?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
OK how about this? When you search Google for "America was never great" the top result is this.
That's your follow-up? A public speech and a dumb t-shirt? Go reread Commodus' comment on American exceptionalism a few times, let it sink in, and consider the *whole clip* and context of what he's trying to impart. At least your "gotcha" is only 2 years stale now. In a few more posts we might even get something current and relevant! (I won't hold my breath.)

Reactions: Meghan54

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If that is true, then I say we shouldn't have politicians at all. But I don't think that is true, either. Do you truly believe it? If so, what are you doing about your tyrannical government?

He, like a lot of people that lean right or are a part of the “burn it down crowd”, are intellectually lazy so they automatically default to “all politicians are corrupt”. It’s really just “both sides” in another form.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
what are you doing about your tyrannical government?
Like so many here that pull the "I didn't vote for Trump card," pretending to be a libertarian to absolve himself of any responsibility for conservative ethical failings, while refusing to hold conservatives to account for these failings because quibbling over progressive gaffs is more important.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mulla Nasrudin was asked to act as a judge. When he heard the prosecution he banged down his gavel and said, "I believe you are right.' The defense lept up and pleaded its case. The Mulla said, 'I believe you are right.' Someone said, 'They can't both be right', to which Nasrudin replied, 'I believe you are right'.

I think Greenman is right. I think most politicians perform many actions for political effect. The problem I have is that I believe that opposites resolve at a higher level of understanding. Self hate will turn thought into cunning but not everything people may hope to achieve has always to be bad.

He, like a lot of people that lean right or are a part of the “burn it down crowd”, are intellectually lazy so they automatically default to “all politicians are corrupt”. It’s really just “both sides” in another form.

Aren't you making a sweeping generalization just like he did?

Reactions: Starbuck1975

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Mulla Nasrudin was asked to act as a judge. When he heard the prosecution he banged down his gavel and said, "I believe you are right.' The defense lept up and pleaded its case. The Mulla said, 'I believe you are right.' Someone said, 'They can't both be right', to which Nasrudin replied, 'I believe you are right'.

I think Greenman is right. I think most politicians perform many actions for political effect. The problem I have is that I believe that opposites resolve at a higher level of understanding. Self hate will turn thought into cunning but not everything people may hope to achieve.

Are you calling me a liar?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I think Greenman is right. I think most politicians perform many actions for political effect. The problem I have is that I believe that opposites resolve at a higher level of understanding. Self hate will turn thought into cunning but not everything people may hope to achieve has always to be bad.

Aren't you making a sweeping generalization just like he did?

Yes, because the two generalizations are equivalent and carry the same consequences.

Now let’s hear you say something stupid again with the context of the situation ignored like, “all lives matter”.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Notice nobody is defending this. Unlike the cadre of Trumptards who defend almost everything he does.

Don't you hate it when only Democrats stand on their principles
To be clear if the situation were reversed they would create some ridiculous lie about what he really meant and then say anyone who said otherwise was just biased.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
To be clear if the situation were reversed they would create some ridiculous lie about what he really meant and then say anyone who said otherwise was just biased.

I consider this a thread backfire for another concerned troll.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So far I think Greenman, you, and ivwshane have been right.

Of course.

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: ‘I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action’; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a ‘more convenient season.’ Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.” -MLK

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Of course.
Indeed. Out of what would the shallow understanding of good people arise other than the notion they believe themselves qualified to judge? MLK’s notion of what a good person is may not be the same as how I see things, leading to the potential for misunderstanding due to speaking different languages, hypothetically, of course, because, while I can speak with you, I can’t talk to him.

And imagine just how messy things could get between people who believe good and evil really exist with all of the passion attendant to defending that one true religion. It could almost make one pretentiously judgmental. There’s something a self hating person like myself would rather die than admit to despite the fact it would be an obvious inevitability. So please, you go first.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Are you calling me a liar?

Would you care to say more as to why you asked me that question and in particular what exactly you wondered if I might be seeing was a lie.

As far as I can tell I thought I was saying that I can see truth in both his and your comments, that what appears to be irreconcilable differences can both make sense from a different perspective.

Edit: I also saw that you asked me rather than stated it as fact. Thank you for that.