Rep. Chaffetz demands surgeon general head Ebola efforts.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Is your position that no one on the Right can ever voice on an opinion on government handling of a potential pandemic because of how Reagan handled AIDS 30 years ago?

IMO the Congressman made a good point about why the (acting) Surgeon General isn't handing this rather than a Czar with no apparently relevant experience. The fact that he made himself look ignorant of the confirmation fight doesn't make his point any less valid.

The right still worships Reagan. If letting 20K+ die in America before lifting a finger is OK for Reagan, why is immediately responding to 3 cases and containing any spread not OK for Obama? GOP is obstructing the nomination of the Surgeon General.

massmedia

Oct 1, 2014
all this bickering is amusing

aa-Dees-Republicrats-one-party-system3.jpg

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thank You. I always appreciate a good debate but wishing harm on people is stepping over the line.

But somebody needs to do something about you because your mental acuity and magnificently structured philosophical defense of conservative ideas is just so dangerous to us weak-minded liberals. You simply destroy everything we believe in with a sweep of your hand.

But then you are certainly way ahead of me even in this and know that as a gigantic titan and paragon of right thinking, you knew you'd be a target.

Do you have any idea at all, my dear man, what a small mind you have to have to turn what I said into a threat. I have seen some pretty pathetic accusations come out of the right, but this one is really good. It's amazing what a mind can produce that feels no shame.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I've actually never watched MSNBC. I've seen clips of Maddow here and there. And she is clearly a very intelligent woman. The clips of others I've seen from MSNBC I've found generally pretty hard to watch. The people on Fox are hired for their looks or their ability to keep a straight face while telling a blatant lie. I personally try my best to avoid getting any news from partisan sources. If you look you'll find WAY more partisan right wing sources than left wing though. Granted, you'll also notice that conservatives tend to claim anything that isn't biased to the far right wing is automatically liberally biased, so I guess partisanship is up to interpretation (for the hyper partisan at least).

As far as my knowledge (lets be honest, it's only belief if it's not fact) about the NRA having bloodlust, is their own views. Things 20 years ago they would agree were good gun policy they now call against the 2nd Amendment. Even if those policies will succeed in curbing gun violence. The fact that the NRA successfully lobbied Congress in the 90's to get a ban on the CDC studying ways to prevent gun violence proves beyond any doubt that they have a bloodlust or at the very least that public safety takes a back seat to selling more guns to those who would commit horrific violence.

Dude, paraphrasing Hitler does not do much to lend credence to your argument.
The NRC so lobbied because the CDC and the Dems announced that they could regulate guns as a disease epidemic. We have an Amendment that says they cannot, and attempting to do so was dishonest and frankly, stupid.

My problem with Madcow isn't her looks or that she's necessarily an idiot, just that she knows her typical audience member is an idiot. I still remember her condescendingly explaining that the Republicans were wrong to complain about all the czars because czars were nineteenth century rulers of Russia and none of the appointed people were ruling nineteenth century Russia.

As a carrier of a rather extreme case of CBD, you can't be trusted to produce anything but false equivalencies. Remember that some folk don't have as much trouble distinguishing what is real and what is altered reality and don't have your scientifically demonstrated need to deny reality when it provides facts you don't agree with. The reason the left appears to be so fucked up is because you always see the side of yourself you can't see in yourself in them.

You do not know how to impartially introspect. You are trying to protect a bunch of sacred cows that are really a huge pile of worthless cabbage. Just give it up and die. You'll be fine. Mommy and Daddy can't beat you anymore if you don't conform. It's ok to be pissed off at them so long as you remember they couldn't do other than what they did. They were asleep too. Please do not tell fellow posters to die. -Admin DrPizza
Dude, please return to only wishing us dead to the voices in your head. That is not something to share with the group.

all this bickering is amusing

aa-Dees-Republicrats-one-party-system3.jpg
Pretty much. We are arguing about which side of the road on which to drive, without noticing that it's the same road and the same direction either way.

That said, there are some differences, such as how fast we drive to ruin and whether we pick up gay people or run them over.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Just send Ebola patients to Congress. Let those who want to play doctor on TV handle it how they see fit. Let those who are obstructing surgeon general nomination do his job instead.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Just send Ebola patients to Congress. Let those who want to play doctor on TV handle it how they see fit. Let those who are obstructing surgeon general nomination do his job instead.
lol Unlike Obama's Ebolla czar, there actually are a few doctors in Congress.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Pretty much. We are arguing about which side of the road on which to drive, without noticing that it's the same road and the same direction either way.
We have options but those in control have stacked the deck in their favor. There are independent candidates on my ballot every election. But the R's and the D's have got the electorate convinced that the other team might win if you vote for that Independent guy.

With the approval rating of Congress as it stands there is no danger whatsoever in coloring outside the lines. I say send them some new meat and upset the apple cart. The worst that could happen is that we don't get any more bad legislation passed which these days is any legislation.

Divide and conquer. It's a proven system.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We have options but those in control have stacked the deck in their favor. There are independent candidates on my ballot every election. But the R's and the D's have got the electorate convinced that the other team might win if you vote for that Independent guy.

With the approval rating of Congress as it stands there is no danger whatsoever in coloring outside the lines. I say send them some new meat and upset the apple cart. The worst that could happen is that we don't get any more bad legislation passed which these days is any legislation.

Divide and conquer. It's a proven system.
Yup. Also, living in Tennessee I'm pretty much free to vote Libertarian without danger, since there is virtually no chance that a Democrat who can win the nomination can win Tennessee unless the Pubbie is so bad that I'll already be voting for the Democrat. (Hint: That would be really, really bad.)

All the better. Let them deal with it then.
If it could be only the medical doctors and/or nurses in Congress I'm much rather they did handle it. Otherwise, I'll take one political hack lawyer over a whole gaggle of lawyers. (Or a giggle, a murder, or whatever a bunch of lawyers are called.)