Renting a computer

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
A friend at work wants to rent a computer from me. I'm not currently using it, he needs something better than what he currently has.

I'm clueless as to what to charge. Any ideas?

Specs:

Silverstone Media PC

CPU: Dual AMD A64 X2 4400+ 2200MHz

Motherboard: Asrock Dual Sata

Memory: 1024 MB of Kingston HyperX PC4000

Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT ATI Radeon

Hard Drive: Maxtor 400.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS

CDR/CDRW Manufacturer & Model: Samsung CDRW / DVD SM-352B

DVD R/W: BenQ DW1620 (black)

Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS 7.1

Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Other Components: 6 in 1 Media Card Reader, Black.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
If he's a friend and you're not using it, why not let him borrow it in exchange for a few beers at the pub here and there? I'm assuming he's not planning to rent it for more than a few months.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I wouldn't rent a computer to a friend, just like I wouldn't build a computer for a friend.

Hell, even if I WOULD build and sell a computer to a friend, there is no way I'd rent one. You'd be pretty much forced to do tech support since it's still your computer and they're paying rent. At least if you sell them a computer you can insist that "at this price, there's no way I can do tech support for you, you'll have to go to Geek Squad".

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: MrBond
I wouldn't rent a computer to a friend, just like I wouldn't build a computer for a friend.

Hell, even if I WOULD build and sell a computer to a friend, there is no way I'd rent one. You'd be pretty much forced to do tech support since it's still your computer and they're paying rent. At least if you sell them a computer you can insist that "at this price, there's no way I can do tech support for you, you'll have to go to Geek Squad".

I don't think that you are forced to do tech support just because you rented it out to him. Even if he ends up messing it up, you can always format.

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
He's a friend who is "helping" me out by offering to rent this PC. We both work in the IT section, so tech support won't be an issue.

I was mostly wondering what a normal price would be, then I would go under that for him.

I need the money, he wants to help. It's a win-win. :p

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
On a side note, I don't think I would ever be able to rent a PC from someone. When I'm on my computer I feel the need to customize and tweak every little thing for myself...

edit: typo

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Tizyler
On a side note, I don't think I would ever be able to rent a PC from someone. When I'm on my computer I feel the need to customize and tweak every little thing for myself...

edit: typo

I'll be taking a Ghost image prior to his usage, so he will have free reign on the PC.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Ask him what he thinks is a fair price or how much he can afford?

Only you can determine how much you think it's worth.

I'd say $500 - $100 per month.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
either let him have the computer or buy it from you outright. That machine you listed can't be worth more than a couple hundred anyways, why bother nickel and dime'ing him? If you think it's worth more than that, then just tell him to buy one from the Dell Outlet. If he's so poor he can't afford $250, then do you really expect him to make payments to you?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Figure out how much you'd sell it for outright based on what the parts are worth these days. Then maybe divide that by 6 or by 12 and charge him that per month.

How long would he want it for? Just a month or two or longer? Just seems like very strange situation to me. I'd opt to just sell the PC and not worry about renting it since then what happens if a part breaks and such?

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Originally posted by: RossMAN

I bet you can post coupons for computers cheaper than that ...

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
Why doesnt he just use the money he would have to pay you every month and save up for a new one. In six months he could have a decent computer. Or is he in dire need of a system.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Why doesn't he finance a machine? :laugh:

Seriously. I just paid $250 for a very similar (4200/1GB/250) machine from the Dell outlet back in May. Even at a crappy rate of 14.99 it's about $3 a month in interest. At $50 it would be paid off in 6 months.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: compnovice
Originally posted by: RossMAN

I bet you can post coupons for computers cheaper than that ...

Yep.

If I were him I'd just buy a new Dell.

Dell Vostro 200 for $399

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core E2160 (1.80GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home
Dell 19 inch Widescreen E198WFP Analog Flat Panel Monitor
512MB Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 1DIMM
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache?
Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
10GB for 1yr Online Backup by Dell Datasafe
1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Next Business Day On-Site Service
Norton Internet Security 2006 90-day Subscription
Microsoft Works 8. Does NOT Include MS Word
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Dell Scroll Mouse
Dell USB Keyboard

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Figure out how much you'd sell it for outright based on what the parts are worth these days. Then maybe divide that by 6 or by 12 and charge him that per month.

This sounds like a good plan

How long would he want it for? Just a month or two or longer? Just seems like very strange situation to me. I'd opt to just sell the PC and not worry about renting it since then what happens if a part breaks and such?

Probably around 6 months or so.

Thanks for all the suggestions!