Rental property owners please share your horror stories.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Good god, crazy. When I move out of this apartment, I expect it to be in better shape than when I arrived. I already replaced the old, almost-functional ballast in the fluorescent fixture in the laundry room with a new electronic ballast, and replaced the ancient, yellowed polystyrene cover with a good acrylic one. And I don't really care to have the apartment go so far to hell that roaches become my new extended family.
I don't know why anyone would choose to live like that.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaspian
I have been renting this house since 2002. Every year I have rented it to a different family. So far I have been real lucky, as far repairs/maintenance goes. Normally after a family moves out I dont have to do much to the house to have it ready for the next tenants. That was till now. Had the house rented for the past 7 months. The tenants were constantly late with the rent so I evicted them.

:shocked:HOLLY LORD MOTHER OF JESUS:shocked:

Good freaking lord! The house was completly trashed. ROACHES EVERYWHERE! That was the first thing you would notice because as soon you opened up the front door, three or four roaches would fall on your head/shoulders. Then, there was this pungent rancid greasy foul stench in the house. I thought that it was coming from all the trash that was all over the house but it wasnt. AFter removing all of the trash the stench was still there. It was so nasty that after leaving the house the smell would stick to you. I had to replaced three out of five ceiling fans. We had to wash all of the walls before I could paint them. There was some sort of oily residue on them. The entire carpeting troughout the house had to be removed and the vynil flooring in the kitchen. I also had to replace the electric range. Oh, and while removing the carpeting, I noticed two freaking holes in the subfloor. One by the front door and the other one in the living room.:|:frown:

u run a credit check on these aholes b4 renting to them?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Kyteland
Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: keird
Wasn't there a disgusting apartment post in OT a couple of years ago? The post had pictures of a cook's apartment. It was knee-deep filth and had a real dog on the mattress. I'll look for it.
I remember that. It was horrifying.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...did=1736425&arctab=arc

:shocked::Q:shocked: WoW!

It's really not that bad. It just looks bad because of the trash.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Kyteland
Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: keird
Wasn't there a disgusting apartment post in OT a couple of years ago? The post had pictures of a cook's apartment. It was knee-deep filth and had a real dog on the mattress. I'll look for it.
I remember that. It was horrifying.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...did=1736425&arctab=arc

:shocked::Q:shocked: WoW!

I was wondering why I got a bandwidth notification from that site today.
I took those pictures, and had the (dis)pleasure of cleaning that apartment. It has been rented and the new tenant is working out fine. I really hope I never see anything like that again!

Edit: And as far as it not being that bad - that dog shit and pissed in that apartment for months, it was BAD!
Lucky for me, there was 70s linoleum under the carpet that kept it from the sub floor. If not, I would have had to remove everything down to the floor joists to get rid of the smell.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Definitely a memorable thread, Lightpants. I appreciate you hosting those pics.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
I can't fathom how people can have no respect for other people's property like that. I rent a one bedroom apartment and I could never trash the place like that. Not just because of the security deposit but because it's a nice apartment with brand new appliances, carpeting, paint, etc. It's not hard to keep your place clean and if you do when you move out it's that much easier to do the final spruce up and have the landlord look it over. I'm always mindful that I'm only borrowing it and need to return it in as close to it's original condition as I can.

They're section 8 people. I don't expect much out of them from my experience.

Section 8? Low-income/Co-op living?

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: blakeatwork
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
I can't fathom how people can have no respect for other people's property like that. I rent a one bedroom apartment and I could never trash the place like that. Not just because of the security deposit but because it's a nice apartment with brand new appliances, carpeting, paint, etc. It's not hard to keep your place clean and if you do when you move out it's that much easier to do the final spruce up and have the landlord look it over. I'm always mindful that I'm only borrowing it and need to return it in as close to it's original condition as I can.

They're section 8 people. I don't expect much out of them from my experience.

Section 8? Low-income/Co-op living?

A goverment program to assist families by paying most of the rent. There is a little more to it, but, that summs it up.