Rental car fees are ridiculous

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
I helped my German nephew rent a car through hertz from jul 13 to August 1. For 660$. Last year. It’s divided among 3. They are all under 25. They gave them a brand new Infiniti G 37. That is not bad at all 34$/ day

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I always do insurance.
The damage I've done has been way more that what I've paid.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hate that companies can legally do this. Charge a certain price for a product or service, then tack on a bunch of fees on top of it. That needs to be illegal. Tell me what it REALLY costs up front, charge me that, and that's it. Airlines are bad for this too.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I hate that companies can legally do this. Charge a certain price for a product or service, then tack on a bunch of fees on top of it. That needs to be illegal. Tell me what it REALLY costs up front, charge me that, and that's it. Airlines are bad for this too.

Hotels are now worse with their 'resort' and 'destination' fees that you don't see until the final booking page

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I've started using Turo when it's convenient. Best part is lots of people will drop the car for you at the airport pick up and pick it up from you at drop off area. All you have to do is confirm pickup in the app and you are ready to go. Certainly beats many airports rental car pickups which can require a shuttle trip just to get to the rental car area in lots of places.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got a rental for the week. $350. Fees & taxes...$150. Five hundred bucks total thanks to that. What the heck lol.
Sheesh. I'm flying to L.A. tomorrow, will be picked up by my nephew's wife. No car rental for me. I almost never rent a car, maybe once or twice outside of business, when it was expensed. Traveling on the company's dime is kinda fun.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
While true, most of the time that wouldn't be practical.

Depends what you're doing. If you're staying local the first night you could always uber to the hotel and get the rental from there. Some places will pick up or deliver. Plus you can save a day rental/parking that way many times.