News Renoir R7 4800U results leaked from Lenovo Yoga Slim 7-14ARE review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Well, well, this was very unexpected (and I'm afraid will soon be taken down) but I accidentally stumbled on Renoir R7 4800U results running in a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7-14ARE (link dead, review still hidden) on notebookcheck!

How did I find the results:
I was looking at their Geforce MX350 review results and typed "Vega 11" into the checkbox for comparison. Got no results. Then tried "Vega 8" expecting to find any 3500U results. Instead stumbled on the results from a yet-to-be-released 4800u review!

You can try it yourself just. just type "4800U" into any searchbox (below a result block) and press "search".

I did it in both the MX350 review and the review of this excellent Matebook D-14 (which is running on a 3500U and achieving an insane 14h browsing test battery life on a 57Wh battery !).

This is the gallery of screenshots I took, in case they pull the results from the database:

Results?

The CPU is *insane* for multithreaded work and even in ST Cinebench C15 it's neck-to-neck with Core i7-1065G7 (183 vs 182 points) MT is just no competition: 1570 on the first run 1490 on the 50th consecutive run! While Ice-Lake is 650 and drops to 590 (some laptops like Lenovo Ideapad S340 get 740 on first run but then trottle to 470).

ST Cinebench R15 (183 points):
xbPmMGe.png

MT Cinebench R15 (1538 points!):
RhcVGI7.png

The GPU is almost as good as the 350MX (-5% in gams):
AeaVOr1.png

snd0THx.png

cAiR9cq.png

Battery Life:
4pDirwp.png

TL DR;
  • Very capable Single threaded perf (as good as Ice Lake in Cinebench, probably a bit slower in geekbench, etc)
  • Absolutelly insane MT perf (almost 2.5x the competition in CB)
  • Battery life is decent but has room for improvement in new desings. (The Matebook 14 beats it, but is by far the best 3500u implementation) still beats Ice-lake though :D
  • 4800U's Vega 8 is as fast as 350MX in 3Dmark, sightly slower (5%) in actual games.

Overall looks very promising, can't wait for full reviews.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Keep in mind that Renoir IGP results with LPDDR4X will be all over the place, it needs to be full Quad Channel in order to have 128bit memory bus, it is highly likely you will have the exact same model with very diferent performance with 8GB, 12GB and 16GB ram. And across all oems with no way to be sure.

The one on the leaked review seems to be a 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR4X-4266 due to the high performance.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Maybe AMD can christen a new class of computer, the HELT (High-End Laptop) for creators on the go.
Just FIY, "helt" in Norwegian means "hero". Perhaps fitting? Though I don't think you could justify the word "high-end" for thin-and-lights. DTRs will outperform them anyhow.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Keep in mind that Renoir IGP results with LPDDR4X will be all over the place, it needs to be full Quad Channel in order to have 128bit memory bus, it is highly likely you will have the exact same model with very diferent performance with 8GB, 12GB and 16GB ram. And across all oems with no way to be sure.

The one on the leaked review seems to be a 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR4X-4266 due to the high performance.

AMD chips are only dual channel with the exception of HEDT and server, unless I am misunderstanding you.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
AMD chips are only dual channel with the exception of HEDT and server, unless I am misunderstanding you.

LPDDR4X memory is diferent, they have smaller data links, the controller on Renoir is 32bits x4, is up to the OEMs to choose the memory configuration.

The DDR4 controller is just like all other Ryzens, 64 bits x2.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I’d love to see this CPU paired with a flagship mobile GPU from either NVIDIA or AMD.
One would hope that would get a 45W H-series chip so as not to bottleneck the GPU, no? 15-25W APUs aren't what you want your flagship GPU paired with unless you like leaving performance on the table for no reason.
LPDDR4X isn't like regular DDR4 (LPDDR RAM is an entirely different standard; the low power versions of regular DDR3/4 were/are DDR3L/DDR4L). LPDDR is a mobile first standard with more flexibility (to scale down to even smartphones) and thus among other things halves the channel width from 64 in traditional DDR4 to 32 (actually I think there's even an option for 16-bit channel width for low end implementations, though I might be wrong) necessitating four channels to match two 64-bit DDR4 channels at the same bit rate. Thus two channels of LPDDR4X at 4266MT/s would have the same total bandwidth as two channels of DDR4 at 2133MT/s (though with worse latency added on), but four channels of LPDDR4 will double that. This can be done in tiny devices as far fewer traces are needed in the PCB to implement four channels of LPDDR4X than if you were to add four channels of DDR4 (not to mention the massive amounts of power that would consume).

Reactions: Gideon and krumme

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
LPDDR4X memory is diferent, they have smaller data links, the controller on Renoir is 32bits x4, is up to the OEMs to choose the memory configuration.

The DDR4 controller is just like all other Ryzens, 64 bits x2.
Dammit, beat me to it! I'm always too wordy :p

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Ackchyually, LPDDR4(X) is 16-bit channels...

LPDDR3 to LPDDR4:
Change from one 32-bit wide bus to two independent 16-bit wide buses

2x64 LPDDR4 packages => 8 channels.
1x64 LPDDR4 package => 4 channels.
1x32 LPDDR4 package => 2 channels.

AMD is using this option:
Support for two independent LPDDR4/4X 16-bit channels via one 32-bit PHYs for reduced area and power

Thus,
Quad PHY => Octo Channel
Dual PHY => Quad Channel
Single PHY => Dual Channel

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Keep in mind that 64 bit LPDDR4X-4266 is only 34GB/s, (128bit DDR4-3200 is about 51GB/s) and is likely that 64bit config will be used on everything that is not super high end like that Lenovo... 8GB and 12GB LPDDR4X Renoirs are likely to be 64 bits configurations. And there may be 16GB versions on 64 bits as well.

So im afraid that other, lower end Renoir products are not going to come anywhere close to these GPU results. We are going to have VERY DIFFERENT gpu results for each Renoir running DDR4-3200, LPDDR4X 64 bits and 128bit. So this will get messy. And i hope no one dares to go 32 bit, but im not sure if thats posible for anything more than 4GB.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Keep in mind that 64 bit LPDDR4X-4266 is only 34GB/s, (128bit DDR4-3200 is about 51GB/s) and is likely that 64bit config will be used on everything that is not super high end like that Lenovo... 8GB and 12GB LPDDR4X Renoirs are likely to be 64 bits configurations. And there may be 16GB versions on 64 bits as well.

So im afraid that other, lower end Renoir products are not going to come anywhere close to these GPU results. We are going to have VERY DIFFERENT gpu results for each Renoir running DDR4-3200, LPDDR4X 64 bits and 128bit. So this will get messy. And i hope no one dares to go 32 bit, but im not sure if thats posible for anything more than 4GB.
Thin and light notebooks don't run DDR4-3200. You're lucky if they run anything above 2400 (heck, most H-series laptops with 200W GPUs still run DDR4-2400). Also, what you are saying only applies if there is no 16GB option for the laptop in question, as all savings for the OEM would otherwise disappear (with the motherboard design then necessarily having eight channels), unless the OEM is dumb enough to use the same capacity chips for all models rather than populate all channels for the 8GB one.That might of course happen, but it seems unlikely.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Considering that it has double the cores and MUCH more performance than the 4-core ICL, these numbers are nothing short of great.
The only two use cases where intel is significantly better is Idle and connected standby, the two cases that don't matter.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The only two use cases where intel is significantly better is Idle and connected standby, the two cases that don't matter.
Actually, Intel is ahead in 4 of the 6 categories. What is "significant" and what "doesnt matter", depends on the individual's opinion I guess.
That said, the problem for intel is that the comparison is a quad vs octo core, so in heavy use the AMD APU will perform much more work from full charge to depletion, even if the battery life is a bit less.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
You are right. They actually matter a lot, but in smartphones and tablets which isn't the market that amd is intending to use these cpus.
And with computers booting from hibernation almost immediately i guess it doesn't matter.

What is interesting is that microsoft disabled hibernation by default in windows 8 and 10, don't understand why because it's quite an useful feature. Returning to the previous working saved state with all the files and programs already opened is very important to me.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Actually, Intel is ahead in 4 of the 6 categories. What is "significant" and what "doesnt matter", depends on the individual's opinion I guess.
That said, the problem for intel is that the comparison is a quad vs octo core, so in heavy use the AMD APU will perform much more work from full charge to depletion, even if the battery life is a bit less.
Yeah, that's the thing - while Intel is ahead in 4 categories, in one of them the AMD chip is literally performing 2x the work (CB) while lasting 75% as long, one is essentially a tie (video), one is behind but not very relevant and both numbers are rather absurdly large (idle), leaving Intel with a single valuable victory in connected standby (I definitely know how d*** annoying connected standby draining your battery can be). I don't keep my laptop turned on while idle much (why not let it go to sleep then?), and the rest... meh. Better battery life in general application usage, better gaming performance and battery life, and better CPU performance under heavy load with just a small battery life deficit makes this look like a clear winner. Of course someone else might disagree, but I would then wonder if their use case (say, one involving a lot of idle time) then wouldn't be better served with a lower end AMD solution anyhow, as lower core counts ought to be more efficient.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
And we have power numbers straight from AMD:

(from this article )
View attachment 18223

The real image has a note saying "These are estimates based on internal AMD analysis, not actual run times."

Not sure why that was intentionally edited out?

Full slide here

Anandtech chose not to include this slide in their article.

"Ultimately we will see what the results are when we have hardware on hand. "

"When I asked AMD’s executives where they stand on battery life, one of them hinted that the difference between themselves and the competition (in similar designs) should be on the order of minutes rather than dozens of minutes. "

Last edited:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Is your primary use case for laptop connected standby or idle (with screen on)? If so, then Intel is your champ. For most everybody else who does productivity work and watches movies AMD is the clear winner.

• Love
Reactions: Tlh97 and lobz