Removing scratches from DSi screen

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by hans030390, Sep 19, 2009.

1. hans030390

hans030390 Diamond Member

My girlfriend just got a used DSi in from eBay ($125 with New Super Mario Bros.). The condition was listed as "good", but the touch screen has a couple scratches in it (among minor wear and tear in other places, so it's more like "fair" condition). It works perfectly fine, and it can be hard to notice it in certain games. However, it's still annoying, and you can "feel" the scratches when you move a stylus over it (maybe 2-3 total).

What's the best solution for removing/buffing out scratches on such appliances/surfaces? I've heard of using toothpaste, plastic polish compound, brasso, turtle wax, etc. If it's not entirely smoothed out, some recommend putting a screen protector over it, though I'm worried about bubbles forming (which is, apparently, a non-issue if you get a nice protector).

As a side note, I wouldn't mind also using this on my PS3. It's got plenty of scratches!

As another side note, I could probably just replace the touchscreen component itself. They cost $10 or less. I'd just rather not open it up!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Removing scratches screen Forum Date
    Organize/catalog large collection from scratch; thousands of light adhesive stickers? Console Gaming Dec 3, 2015
    Remove plastic hanger tab from packaging? Console Gaming Jul 18, 2013
    OMG....Microsoft’s Xbox 180- restrictions removed Console Gaming Jun 19, 2013
    Favela removed from MW2 & MW3 *temporarily* Console Gaming Oct 8, 2012
    Microsost removes the option to turn off auto-renewal from their site Console Gaming Dec 29, 2010

3. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

http://www.applesaucepolish.com/

This stuff is made for ipods and such, but it works great on any plastic really. I recommend getting this as I know it works. Many of the 'home remedies' like toothpaste and crap haven't worked at all for me, so I say they're bogus.

4. Spoooon

Spoooon Lifer

If you end up getting a screen protector, I recommend going here: Zagg.

I think almost everything I own has a Zagg screen protector on it. I've had one on my launch DS since I purchased it and it only recently needs replacing.

5. hans030390

hans030390 Diamond Member

How easily does it apply to the screen? I don't want to have to deal with bubbles, especially if the scratches may cause them. I've heard SOME screens still work perfectly regardless, though some cause bubbles like crazy.

6. PieIsAwesome

PieIsAwesome Diamond Member

I have some generic one and it went on perfectly. Just need to make sure your method of applying it is good to avoid bubbles.