Removing plastic "scrape" from body panel

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
We have a 2008 Hyundai Accent hatchback that our daughters drive. A few years back, the older daughter had a minor "incident" (long, aggravating story) whereby the rear view mirror of the car next to her touched her car and then slid along the quarter panel from essentially the back edge of the door to the rear of the car. So now there is a long black streak (the car is white), about 3 ft. long, where a thin layer of the black plastic from the mirror has been deposited.

I've tried various solutions and waxes, but nothing seems to really be effective at removing this material. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm sure you've been through rubbing compounds and stuff like Goof-off, right?

I might suggest pure IPA...isopropyl alcohol. As long as you have >90% pure, it's remarkable at removing all sorts of stuff without damaging paint, clear coat, etc.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
I tried both goof-off and goo-gone at full strength with no effect.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
So, tried rubbing compounds or at least polishing compounds? Almost guarantee rubbing compound will take it off, but then you're going to have to follow that up with polishing compound and then wax. And don't get too wild using it, it is an abrasive, after all.

I've had very good luck using Meguiar's Ultimate Polishing compound to get stains, weird paint rubs, etc., off cars, boats, etc. Will take some work and sweat....but should work.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
I've tried some waxes, but that didn't really do much. Obviously, I want to use the least abrasive compound possible, so I didn't want to go the rubbing compound route unless absolutely necessary. Looks like I'll try some polishing compound next.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Try some of the polish from a headlight restore kit like Meguiars.

I had a nasty black scrape mark on my Jeep, and that took it off with a couple of passes.

You can't even tell it was ever there. I used the polishing ball with a cordless drill.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Try some of the polish from a headlight restore kit like Meguiars.

I had a nasty black scrape mark on my Jeep, and that took it off with a couple of passes.

You can't even tell it was ever there. I used the polishing ball with a cordless drill.

Yep, something like a fine polishing compound. Or maybe one of those scratch removing things. I bought the Quixx stuff and I'll be damned, it really worked and on some darned bad scratches I thought I'd have to fill in with paint to get them to at least visually disappear.

TYTHEGUY

Mar 26, 2017
Hopefully you see this, I know it's been a while but I was wondering if you ever got that plastic streak out. I have the same type of streak from the exact same cause, but only 1 foot long. If you had found a way to remove it I'd love to know how you did it. Thanks

I've tried some waxes, but that didn't really do much. Obviously, I want to use the least abrasive compound possible, so I didn't want to go the rubbing compound route unless absolutely necessary. Looks like I'll try some polishing compound next.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Some of the tar removers you buy are rubbing compound based in that they're an abrasive suspended in a cleaning solvent. I'd give that a try.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Wax won't do anything. Try some paint cleaner (Meguiars is pretty good). If that doesn't work, maybe seek the help of a professional auto detailer or body shop. If your paint isn't damaged they should be able to help.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'd pull out the clay bar.
Can't say for sure it's efficacious, but it's removed spray paint droplets that drifted onto my car's paint.
Also it stripped off some sort of metallic dust that had bonded with the paint during its stay in some dodgy body shop.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Just take it to a place like "Bumperdoc" ( http://www.bumperdoc.com/ ) and have them look at it and advise what to do. They may just tell you how to treat it or give you a repair quote that you can live with. (Modern cars with clear coats are not really easily fixable. It needs to be professionally done. Also if you keep mess'n with it, then it the affected area will just become larger/more noticeable.)

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Buff it with a cleaning wax. They have VERY fine abrasives - about as fine as you get. But you're going to have to buff. Any solvent that can remove the plastic is going to remove the paint too.