Removing LGA 775 Backplate from Motherboard (?)

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
I removed my CPU cooler today and looked at the back of the motherboard and there is an LGA 775 "backplate" attached with some tape and four (4) screws/pins. I can't figure out for the life of me how to remove the backplate.

I am completely lost about this. I need to remove the backplate as it is part of my CPU cooler (Xigmatek Dark Knight).

I got a new cooler (Noctua DH-14) and need to do this right away.

By the way I have an i7 950 which is LGA 1366 so I have no idea why an LGA 775 backplate was used (?) and the MoBo is Asus P6T7 WS.

Please help ASAP.

Thanks.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
It looks the same because I don't think there's any physical size difference between 775 and 1156, just more pin surfaces per area. From pictures it looks like the backplate is part of the CPU clamp held together by torx screws. You'll need an appropriate screwdriver...not sure what size that is:

1913_p3_1.jpg

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
It looks the same because I don't think there's any physical size difference between 775 and 1156, just more pin surfaces per area. From pictures it looks like the backplate is part of the CPU clamp held together by torx screws. You'll need an appropriate screwdriver...not sure what size that is:

1913_p3_1.jpg

I'm talking about the backplate, the BACK of the motherboard. The one in the picture is just the clamp for the CPU and that can be removed using an alan wrench.

There are 4 screws/pins on the back holding the LGA 775 backplate and there are no rivets on the outside like a normal screw.

I wish I could upload a picture of it but I don't know how to upload a pic from my PC to AT since BB Code uses URLs for images.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Did you actually try to remove it or did you just assume that the clamp may not be screwed into the plate, or covering the screws? Because I don't see anything else it could be short of being plugged or soldered to the board. If it's the latter you're probably SOL.

I may be new but since I didn't see any screw notches on the plate and it doesn't look like any other place the plate could be mounted I thought I'd go with that, or you could be snide instead of just saying you removed the clamp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20Motherboard

kiriakos

Oct 9, 2010
www.ittsb.eu
Stop using re-directors from Poland .. they do not work .
(h**p://detonator.dynamitedata.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl)

Add the direct Newegg link.

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Wasn't something I put there. This link parser sucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131390

Last edited:

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
you could just upload it, and then link to the picture, no?

The question is, where do I upload it? There is no "attachments" link when I make a post.

Do I upload to another site (Flickr/Photobucket) and then link to there? That's really cumbersome.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Did you actually try to remove it or did you just assume that the clamp may not be screwed into the plate, or covering the screws? Because I don't see anything else it could be short of being plugged or soldered to the board. If it's the latter you're probably SOL.

I may be new but since I didn't see any screw notches on the plate and it doesn't look like any other place the plate could be mounted I thought I'd go with that, or you could be snide instead of just saying you removed the clamp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20Motherboard

I think you misunderstood my original post. I meant the rear of the motherboard where the LGA 775 bracket is attached with some 'tape' of some sort.

I was able to remove it using a screwdriver very tactfully and it worked like a charm.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Tape-fastened backplate, quality worksmanship for ya :p. At least it got off, it's a shame to get a nice cooler and not be able to use it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Add the direct Newegg link.

I'm pretty sure the .pl on the end of the link has nothing at all to do with poland.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
The question is, where do I upload it? There is no "attachments" link when I make a post.

Do I upload to another site (Flickr/Photobucket) and then link to there? That's really cumbersome.

Yes, cumbersome or not that's how you post pics here.

LOLOLOL!

It is the automatic Anandtech refferal redirect. Anandtech needs to make money somehow to pay for hosting. It is done automatically when you post a link to certain online retailers.

BTW "redirect.pl" is not the domain, but is the file name. A ".pl" extension generally means it is a Perl script.

Duder1no

Nov 1, 2010

Dude I don't consider anything that you can do to help other people help YOU "cumbersome".

memory

Oct 3, 2010
To the original OP, I was in a similar situation recently. Yes there is tape holding it on, it is really strong stuff. To get it off, you will need to put some heat to it and use a small screwdriver to gently pry it off. Just be careful when doing this.

Never mind this post, I missed where he had already solved the problem.

Last edited: