removing fan from radeon AIW

jealouse

May 18, 2001
i posted a message seeking opinions about what the fastest FANLESS video card is a couple of days ago and one person suggested that i could simply remove fan from radeon all-in-wonder.

i did a little research and found out that radeon AIW is clocked
lower than regular redeon. this in turn might eliminate the need
for fan since it's likely to generate less heat.

but i'm not sure... i mean the fan is there for some reason, right?

what do you think? would it be safe to remove fan from AIW?

i usually keep my pc on ALL THE TIME. but i use intel p-3 and the temp. inside my pc is reasonable...

pay

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2001
Try taking the fan off and putting a heatsink on the back of the GPU ;)

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
>what do you think? would it be safe to remove fan from AIW?

why in the world for ?

>i did a little research and found out that radeon AIW is clocked lower than regular redeon.

But that's because the memory are at different speeds. The All-in-Wonder Radeon lags only 2.7% behind the 64MB Radeon

Since the 32MB Radeons use 6ns Samsung chips, while the 64MB card uses 5.5ns Hyundai DDR SDRAM, the shipping clock speed of not only the All-in-Wonder Radeon but also all 32MB Radeons is actually lower than the shipping clock speed of the 64MB Radeon. The 32MB cards come clocked at 166/166 MHz (166/333 MHz effective) due to the 6ns rating of the RAM chips, compared to the 183/183 MHz (183/366 MHz effective) speed rating on the 64MB Radeons. ATI decided to ship the core with the same speed as the memory. Since the core of the 32MB cards is no different than the core of the 64MB cards, almost every 32MB Radeon core should be able to hit 183 MHz quite reliably, but this may not be the same case for the Samsung memory.

The diff at best with overcloking is + %7.6 or 5.4 FPS, why in the world would you want to cause possible damage or instability to your card, unless you have money to burn or don't really care about the risk, it's not worth the risk either by mods or overclocking. The present stepping of Radeon's are not good for o/c'ing.

Some Radeon's due out this summer will have a higher stepping but I havent seen any reports of these yet.