Removing Asus Glaciator heatsink

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
OK, nevermind. lol I put it in the anti-static bag and sealed it with tape. Then I put it in the freezer and it just twisted off easilly when I tried even inside the bag. yay me :)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Why did you remove it?

My Asus 4850 with the Glaciator is superb, rocking a 780 core ;)

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
Yes, it still works.

I removed it because I wanted to see how silent my computer could be if I had all Nexus fans in my computer and with a fan controller. (My Forton PSU has a Yate Loon fan which I read is similar to Nexus.) Well, it's pretty silent. I'm not sure if the fan controller makes that much of a difference with Nexus fans though. On the video card though, I installed a Thermalright HR-03 GT with a 92mm Nexus fan. I don't have temperatures yet because I did not install the temperature sensing program yet (smartdoctor). I wish Thermalright would change their mounting mechanism for the fan. It sucks.

I feel like making a 8800GS vs HD4670 thread but I don't have time right now.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
The Glaciator isn't silent? I can't distinguish it in my case, although I do have one fairly loud and old 120mm case fan that needs to be replaced. I can definitely hear my ACF64Pro fan when my processor is at full load, but I have yet to hear the Glaciator fan when the GPU is under full load.