removed HDD from external USB enclosure

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
i have a 1 TB WD My Book Office something-or-the-other.

the enclosue always acted goofy - it was difficult to turn on/off & other things.

so I decided to just remove the SATA HDD and slap it into my PC. I believe it's FAT32 formatted - isn't that what the externals are normally formatted?

I bought a USB to SATA kit that allows me to test HDDs outside the box but the HDD isn't showing up in My Computer.

I do see it in the "Safely Remove Hardware" in my Systray... but when I check the properties for the device, I try to populate the Volume Info, I get that the status of Disk1 is Unreadable.

Do you think the HDD is toast? I never had problems with it, just the enclosure's buttons.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You can format external hard disks however you like, it's not always FAT32. You need to hook it directly to your PC if you have an available SATA and power port, eliminate the USB to SATA adapter to see if it's the drive or the adapter. Which USB to SATA adapter are you using? Are you plugging in power to the drive?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ch33zw1z
You can format external hard disks however you like, it's not always FAT32. You need to hook it directly to your PC if you have an available SATA and power port, eliminate the USB to SATA adapter to see if it's the drive or the adapter. Which USB to SATA adapter are you using? Are you plugging in power to the drive?

ok.. i meant that it was probably already FAT32 formatted.. I'm at work & just opened my box - it only supports IDE :brokenheart:

I'm using a cheapy USB to SATA adapter I picked up locally. this is the first time i've used it so it's hard to narrow the issue down.

yes the power is plugged and the drive is spinning and heating up a little.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It is probably NTFS formatted. I use a Seagate FreeAgent Pro (500MB) and it came formatted NTFS. The only things I have seen in FAT32 these days are thumbdrives.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The STA to USB or vice versa are Not a good way to handle HD.

Assuming that you have SATA on the Motherboard.

Buy a long enough simple SATA cable, a molex to SATA power cable, and snake them out thorough an empty slot to the back of the computer.

It is a good setup for variety of manipulations that can be done with SATA drives.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: JackMDS
The STA to USB or vice versa are Not a good way to handle HD.

Assuming that you have SATA on the Motherboard.

Buy a long enough simple SATA cable, a molex to SATA power cable, and snake them out thorough an empty slot to the back of the computer.

It is a good setup for variety of manipulations that can be done with SATA drives.

yeah.. i may just have to wait until I get home to try the SATA - SATA connection.

thanks alot for your ideas.
rp.